Corporate Anti-Trust Law

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
adil91

Corporate Anti-Trust Law

Postby adil91 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:03 pm

Do a lot of lawyers practice anti-trust law? Is it a large niche within larger Corporate law ?

TLS_noobie

Re: Corporate Anti-Trust Law

Postby TLS_noobie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:09 pm

Bump. I am interested in this as well. Also, what is the biggest denomination of corporate law (if not anti-trust)?

thisguy456

Postby thisguy456 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:18 am

TLS_noobie wrote:Bump. I am interested in this as well. Also, what is the biggest denomination of corporate law (if not anti-trust)?

+1

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:23 am

Not a lot of lawyers practice anti-trust law. The largest concentration of them is going to exist in the Justice Department. Unless you're referring to some type of corporate compliance, in which case the majority of them work in corporate compliance (which won't be limited to anti-trust).

The largest concentration of corporate law is litigation. It's nothing specific; you address issues for businesses as they arise and head towards litigation.

There is one (interesting) caveat to this. There are some firms that will work on behalf of smaller companies and with the Justice Dept. to go after bigger companies for anti-competitive practices, and to torpedoed large mergers. Those tend to be smaller practice groups, however, and can be difficult to break into (especially since the larger groups deal with tech stuff, in which you need some type of background).

-Note- Most of this is second-hand knowledge I have from talking with my friends who are practicing corporate law. I am much less certain of this information than I am of most of the other information I post here. That being said, I think it's in the realm of a correct answer.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:29 am

There are two broad areas of law in Biglaw -- litigation and corporate. Much of corporate work comes from advising on transactions, a/k/a mergers & acquisitions. There are many other areas of corporate, however.

Most of antitrust is litigation, not corporate work. There is a decent chunk of antitrust counseling that falls under the guise of corporate, wherein the firm provides guidance in a potential merger as to any antitrust issues that might arise, however.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”