Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gaud

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby gaud » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:57 pm

ilovesf wrote:lol

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Wish I had just withdrawn instead of waiting for April 1st to pass, now 442 people I don't know have my contact info, address, scores and scholarship offer. Awesome.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:01 pm

thewizardofoz wrote:This is pretty terrible. Mostly because I have a lower GPA and LSAT than a friend who applied, and I got more scholarship money. Also, this girl I know claimed she got in, but isn't on the list.

How is the bolded not awesome?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Probably the funniest thing I've ever heard regarding law school admissions.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:05 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Probably the funniest thing I've ever heard regarding law school admissions.

Kind of hard to believe--this is far worse than accidentally admitting the entire applicant pool, and I don't even understand how one could accidentally email something like this. I bet it would be fascinating to examine the data though.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:10 pm

It's only a matter of time before ATL gets their hands on this...can't believe they haven't written something up yet.

I can't even imagine how many times this document has already been shared with non-Baylor admits, as well. Friends, family, etc.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Talk about a transparent admissions process

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:15 pm

How embarrassing! Being on a list of people who want to go to Baylor.

T00L

Postby T00L » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:19 pm

Last edited by T00L on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:20 pm

Can I uh... see the list with all personal info/names deleted? Just curious to see the scholarships and stuff. No stake whatsoever, 1L at another school.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Someone should post the apology email in this thread.

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:Someone should post the apology email in this thread.

Here it is, minus the school contact info that was below it:

An e-mail sent earlier today to you inadvertently contained an attachment with personal information about you and other accepted applicants. We apologize for this error. The earlier email was sent in response to numerous phone calls and emails we received from applicants expressing concern that they were unable to make online seat deposits over the weekend because of technical difficulties with the university’s online payment system. The attachment did not contain social security numbers or birth dates and we do not have reason to believe that the information has been put to any unauthorized use at this time.

Our high standards of professionalism require us to treat all student data with the greatest degree of confidentiality and we regret this unfortunate mistake. Due to the sensitive nature of the information that was contained in the attachment, we ask you to treat the document as confidential, just as you would as a lawyer, and delete the information.

Again, we send our deepest apologies for this error. We sincerely regret any concerns caused by our action. We have taken steps to ensure that such a mistake is not made in the future.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:26 pm

thewizardofoz wrote:This is pretty terrible. Mostly because I have a lower GPA and LSAT than a friend who applied, and I got more scholarship money. Also, this girl I know claimed she got in, but isn't on the list.

Not to mention, my info is out there... Not cool.

Yeah same here with a girl I know but I think people who have already deposited didn't get it.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:27 pm

hookem7 wrote:Here it is, minus the school contact info that was below it:

An e-mail sent earlier today to you inadvertently contained an attachment with personal information about you and other accepted applicants. We apologize for this error. The earlier email was sent in response to numerous phone calls and emails we received from applicants expressing concern that they were unable to make online seat deposits over the weekend because of technical difficulties with the university’s online payment system. The attachment did not contain social security numbers or birth dates and we do not have reason to believe that the information has been put to any unauthorized use at this time.

Our high standards of professionalism require us to treat all student data with the greatest degree of confidentiality and we regret this unfortunate mistake. Due to the sensitive nature of the information that was contained in the attachment, we ask you to treat the document as confidential, just as you would as a lawyer, and delete the information.

Again, we send our deepest apologies for this error. We sincerely regret any concerns caused by our action. We have taken steps to ensure that such a mistake is not made in the future.

Thanks man. That's crazy- someone should lose his/her job.

postn0bills

Postby postn0bills » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 pm

guaranteed that person already has. i wonder how they're going to fix this. yikes.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:04 pm

Cavalier wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Probably the funniest thing I've ever heard regarding law school admissions.

Kind of hard to believe--this is far worse than accidentally admitting the entire applicant pool, and I don't even understand how one could accidentally email something like this. I bet it would be fascinating to examine the data though.

It has been fun looking at it all night.

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:37 pm

Applicant:

Micky Mawse, 161, 3.58, UG: Kansas City Art Institute.
$63,000 in merit aid.

Interesting.

not a real person, btw

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:50 pm

Some one needs to post this. Or email it to me and I will post it.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:06 am

Another side-effect of this mistake: Imagine an environment where all the gunners in your 1L class know everyone's LSAT score and GPA. I can already foresee some douches trying to form study groups based on LSAT score.

Napt

Postby Napt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:08 am

Desert Fox wrote:How embarrassing! Being on a list of people who want to go to Baylor.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:13 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Another side-effect of this mistake: Imagine an environment where all the gunners in your 1L class know everyone's LSAT score and GPA. I can already foresee some douches trying to form study groups based on LSAT score.

TBH, this incident would be a significant deterrent from me matriculating (had I applied, and been accepted)...for reasons just like this one :roll:

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:14 am

hookem7 wrote:

The best part is how Baylor apparently has no idea how privileged/confidential information works

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:16 am

This is probably going to be the biggest law school scandal all year. This is a really, really big deal.

Is anyone reconsidering attending after this? Seems like an awful situation to be in, going to law school where everyone knows everyone else's credentials and scholarship offer.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:17 am

Holy shit.

T00L

Postby T00L » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:19 am

Always Credited wrote:
hookem7 wrote:

The best part is how Baylor apparently has no idea how privileged/confidential information works

Euphemism for: "We just took Suzie Daniel out back and shot her"

Also seeing (via Monty Python ATHG): "Those responsible have been sacked." Then, "Those who did the sacking have also been sacked..." and so on

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”