Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby snehpets » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Systematic1 wrote:
bstx1987 wrote:Yeah I didn't edit. What I would have said in a perfect world where my information doesn't get LEAKED was:

Low GPA with high LSAT means little or no money. High GPA with low LSAT means some or lots of money.

For example, there's a 3.07/171 on the list - no money. Then you have a ton of GPAs 3.7 or above with LSAT 164 or lower who got either 15-20k or full rides if the GPA was >3.9.

Anyway - wasn't going to Baylor before, but sure wouldn't be now.


Since you're not going, would you mind posting the full list with name, address, email redacted so we all can perform some data analysis?


lol, if someone wanted to post it I imagine they would have already.

mtyler19
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby mtyler19 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:22 pm

Nightrunner wrote:To be absolutely clear: if anyone posts the unedited spreadsheet with revealing personal information, I will nuke every IP in their state.

I know no one has asked for that, but I want the bases covered.

Other than that, what are people looking for? ATL has already printed the information without URM status. Is the point of asking just to discern which are URMs and which are not?



Extremely appreciated :)

unitball
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby unitball » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:27 pm

btw384 wrote:Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email with an attached spreadsheet containing all personal/scholarship info for every admitted student. Someone's getting fired.



--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby 20130312 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Nightrunner wrote:To be absolutely clear: if anyone posts the unedited spreadsheet with revealing personal information, I will nuke every IP in their state.

I know no one has asked for that, but I want the bases covered.

Other than that, what are people looking for? ATL has already printed the information without URM status. Is the point of asking just to discern which are URMs and which are not?


Scholarship info.

bstx1987
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby bstx1987 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:34 pm

I'm not posting anything more than what's been up on ATL already - take the trends I listed earlier and it shouldn't be hard to figure out who got what kind of scholarships. And as far as I can tell there's no kind of scandalous race-related full rides or whatever. Plus, I have future classmates at another school and a couple of friends on the list and I'd rather not go down that rabbit hole.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:24 pm

Nightrunner wrote:To be absolutely clear: if anyone posts the unedited spreadsheet with revealing personal information, I will nuke every IP in their state.

I know no one has asked for that, but I want the bases covered.

Other than that, what are people looking for? ATL has already printed the information without URM status. Is the point of asking just to discern which are URMs and which are not?


No, scholarship information, but I don't get why the URM information is being guarded. It would be really helpful to people on this site, as URM application cycles are black boxes already and it would be helpful to those applying. I am honestly wondering what the downside is.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby NYC Law » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:36 pm

From what was posted on the Texasags site, it looks like URMs get little to no boost at Baylor. Most of the admitted ones had index nos comparable to the non-URMs, maybe with a slight boost in scholarship money.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby T00L » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:38 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:To be absolutely clear: if anyone posts the unedited spreadsheet with revealing personal information, I will nuke every IP in their state.

I know no one has asked for that, but I want the bases covered.

Other than that, what are people looking for? ATL has already printed the information without URM status. Is the point of asking just to discern which are URMs and which are not?


No, scholarship information, but I don't get why the URM information is being guarded. It would be really helpful to people on this site, as URM application cycles are black boxes already and it would be helpful to those applying. I am honestly wondering what the downside is.


If by "black box" you mean you are not sure whether URMs get closer to a 3 or 7 point LSAT bump by default.... COME ON! just understand that its an advantage and go with it. So what if you (or whoever) have to apply a little wider... at least you don't have to deal with this. These people obviously are trying to do what little they can to make the most of BAYLORs idiocy...

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:07 pm

I am currently looking at the data from the TexasAgs site. It appears that Native Americans got 0 boost (really surprising). Hispanics got a no-to-small boost. African Americans got a large boost, especially in scholarship money. There is one Puerto Rican Admit who got a gigantic boost. There are a lot of legacies it looks like too.
Last edited by TaipeiMort on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:16 pm

flem wrote:
NYC Law wrote:From what was posted on the Texasags site, it looks like URMs get little to no boost at Baylor. Most of the admitted ones had index nos comparable to the non-URMs, maybe with a slight boost in scholarship money.


Image


I didn't think that what was what the data revealed. It actually looked like there was only one URM group-- African Americans. Sorry if that sounds racist.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby minnbills » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:20 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
I didn't think that what was what the data revealed. It actually looked like there was only one URM group-- African Americans. Sorry if that sounds racist.


How did you figure that out from the list?

User avatar
turkishswat
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:34 am

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby turkishswat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:21 pm

I have not read a single post in this thread, but the OP and I can already tell this thread will be pure gold.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:53 pm

minnbills wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
I didn't think that what was what the data revealed. It actually looked like there was only one URM group-- African Americans. Sorry if that sounds racist.


How did you figure that out from the list?


Apologies, I was looking at LSAT, but I just ran the GPAs and everything evens out. African Americans have the highest GPA of any group by far. It is really interesting stuff:

Group (number), Average GPA, Average LSAT, Average Scholarship/YR

African American (14), 3.74, 160, $25,223
Hispanic/Latino (36), 3.51, 163.5, $24,163
American Indian (9), 3.513, 166, $22,634
Caucasian (314), 3.53, 164.4, $19,462
Puerto Rican (2), 3.81, 159, $22,500 (Probably not significant because of sample size)
Asian (41), 3.44, 164.4, $19,179
Baylor UG (10), 3.67, 163.36, $22,556

So, the highest LSAT was by American Indians by FAR. Puerto Ricans shouldn't be compared in the data because there are two of them. African Americans had the highest GPA and lowest LSAT. Hispanics were almost the same as Caucasians in terms of numbers, but got more scholarship money. Asians had the lowest GPAs by a large amount. I pulled those out of the data without GPAs.
Last edited by TaipeiMort on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby Danteshek » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Someone should just put it up on Docstoc. Just redact the names and put everything else up

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:57 pm

Danteshek wrote:Someone should just put it up on Docstoc. Just redact the names and put everything else up


It has been, but I don't think anyone wants to post the link.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby NYC Law » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:03 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
minnbills wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
I didn't think that what was what the data revealed. It actually looked like there was only one URM group-- African Americans. Sorry if that sounds racist.


How did you figure that out from the list?


Apologies, I was looking at LSAT, but I just ran the GPAs and everything evens out. African Americans have the highest GPA of any group by far. It is really interesting stuff:

Group (number), Average GPA, Average LSAT, Average Scholarship/YR

African American (14), 3.74, 160, $25,223
Hispanic/Latino (36), 3.51, 163.5, $24,163
American Indian (9), 3.513, 166, $22,634
Caucasian (314), 3.53, 164.4, $19,462
Puerto Rican (2), 3.81, 159, $22,500 (Probably not significant because of sample size)
Asian (41), 3.44, 164.4, $19,179
Baylor UG (10), 3.67, 163.36, $22,556

So, the highest LSAT was by American Indians by FAR. Puerto Ricans shouldn't be compared in the data because there are two of them. African Americans had the highest GPA and lowest LSAT. Hispanics were almost the same as Caucasians in terms of numbers, but got more scholarship money. Asians had the lowest GPAs by a large amount. I pulled those out of the data without GPAs.


What about index no's? Those should be more accurate (I believe it's the number next to LSAT). Just from eyeballing the screenshot (TexasAGs) the URMs all seem to have higher than average index numbers as well (no AA on that list).

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:08 pm

NYC Law wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
minnbills wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
I didn't think that what was what the data revealed. It actually looked like there was only one URM group-- African Americans. Sorry if that sounds racist.


How did you figure that out from the list?


Apologies, I was looking at LSAT, but I just ran the GPAs and everything evens out. African Americans have the highest GPA of any group by far. It is really interesting stuff:

Group (number), Average GPA, Average LSAT, Average Scholarship/YR

African American (14), 3.74, 160, $25,223
Hispanic/Latino (36), 3.51, 163.5, $24,163
American Indian (9), 3.513, 166, $22,634
Caucasian (314), 3.53, 164.4, $19,462
Puerto Rican (2), 3.81, 159, $22,500 (Probably not significant because of sample size)
Asian (41), 3.44, 164.4, $19,179
Baylor UG (10), 3.67, 163.36, $22,556

So, the highest LSAT was by American Indians by FAR. Puerto Ricans shouldn't be compared in the data because there are two of them. African Americans had the highest GPA and lowest LSAT. Hispanics were almost the same as Caucasians in terms of numbers, but got more scholarship money. Asians had the lowest GPAs by a large amount. I pulled those out of the data without GPAs.


What about index no's? Those should be more accurate (I believe it's the number next to LSAT). Just from eyeballing the screenshot (TexasAGs) the URMs all seem to have higher than average index numbers as well (no AA on that list).


The full data set is available if you go to the second page on TexasAgs Rivals forum there is a link to filedropper.

JimmysParty
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby JimmysParty » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:26 pm

Does the texas ags file include personal info?

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:46 pm

The guy who posted the original screenshot just put boxes over peoples names, which wasn't good enough. The full data set doesnt have any personal information.

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby StarLightSpectre » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:47 pm

I think the idex is just LSAT + Gpa rounded up. So say 150 LSAt + 3.55 GPA would be added as 150+36 equaling 186. But I could be wrong.

Edit: stupid I phone

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby NYC Law » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:00 am

Here's what I got so far attempting to analyze the data:

UPDATED DATA, Removed everyone with a 0 for GPA from the data:

TOTAL (# White=303) (#AA=13) (#Asian=42) (#Hispanic=37) (#NA=9)

AVERAGE (White Index=199.84) (White=$19,462.26) (AA Index=197.54) (AA=$25,547.54) (Asian Index=198.83) (Asian=$19,179.29) (Hispanic Index=198.59) (Hispanic=$23,685.24) (NA Index=201.11) (NA=$22,634.00)

MULTIPLIER (INDEX*Schol) (White=97.39) (AA=129.33) (Asian=96.46) (Hispanic=119.26) (NA=112.54)

So Asians actually seem to get a negative boost, AA gets the largest boost in Scholarship money but not so much for admission (though a very small number to work with, 13), and hispanic seems to get a moderate scholarship boost, but same relative boost for admission.
NA gets a slight scholarship boost.
Last edited by NYC Law on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby tyro » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:07 am

:o

Apparently their privacy policy says they sometimes do this for the lulz :shock:

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:56 am

NYC Law wrote:Here's what I got so far attempting to analyze the data:

UPDATED DATA, Removed everyone with a 0 for GPA from the data:

TOTAL (# White=303) (#AA=13) (#Asian=42) (#Hispanic=37) (#NA=9)

AVERAGE (White Index=199.84) (White=$19,462.26) (AA Index=197.54) (AA=$25,547.54) (Asian Index=198.83) (Asian=$19,179.29) (Hispanic Index=198.59) (Hispanic=$23,685.24) (NA Index=201.11) (NA=$22,634.00)

MULTIPLIER (INDEX*Schol) (White=97.39) (AA=129.33) (Asian=96.46) (Hispanic=119.26) (NA=112.54)

So Asians actually seem to get a negative boost, AA gets the largest boost in Scholarship money but not so much for admission (though a very small number to work with, 13), and hispanic seems to get a moderate scholarship boost, but same relative boost for admission.
NA gets a slight scholarship boost.


Yeah, the index number does equalize it. When only looking at LSAT it looks more like traditional URM boost for AAs, but it looks like the GPA equalized them. They do get a scholarship boost. American Indians surprised me the most. They are supposed to get a huge boost, and they outperformed nearly every peer group with the LSAT.

AgLaw
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:38 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby AgLaw » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:15 am

So in Baylor's email to admitted students not included in the spreadsheet they said something along the lines of 'we believe many of the students information we released don't plan on attending Baylor anyway...' If they are truly sorry for what happened why would they include that comment?

mtyler19
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Re: Baylor Law just pushed out an admitted students email...

Postby mtyler19 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:10 am

AgLaw wrote:So in Baylor's email to admitted students not included in the spreadsheet they said something along the lines of 'we believe many of the students information we released don't plan on attending Baylor anyway...' If they are truly sorry for what happened why would they include that comment?


Which part? I don't see anything that is along those lines.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], crookedsmile, Paul Campos, xtremenite, Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests