When to take the LSAT/apply

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

When to take the LSAT/apply

Postby seancris » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Basically I sat for one administration of the LSAT and got a 163. I'm hoping for 168+ in the future and I'm applying next year.

I'm taking the Velocity course but I'm realizing that I'm just going to get through the material in time for June. I won't have time to really reflect on it all and internalize it all. I only have 15 or so hours per week to put in to LSAT prep until I graduate in May.

My goal for my application cycle is to go to the highest-ranked school in my region (Southeast/South Atlantic) with the lowest possible debt. The schools I'm thinking about range from Duke/UVA to Emory/W&L/UF. I'm really just hoping to get W&L's 120k scholarship and attend as we love the location and the low debt would allow me to pursue government work more comfortably.

Bottom line is that I don't feel that I'll be prepared for the LSAT in June, and that I think I will be prepared in October. However, I don't want to waste my second attempt and put all of my eggs in the October basket. I have full access to my Velocity course until November.

Would it be reasonable to simply take October and use December as a fall back, applying as soon as I got my December score (in the event that I had to take December)? Given that scholarships are my priority?

People who applied in January at W&L still recieved the full 120k scholarship. In fact, I'm not sure that many scholarships were even given out before January.

What do you think about this plan? Not taking June and planning on October/December, with rigorous prep between now and October? Would I be screwed if I had to take December? Assuming that my options with the 163 alone are unacceptable.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: When to take the LSAT/apply

Postby Br3v » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:11 pm

What are you pting at now?

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: When to take the LSAT/apply

Postby seancris » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Br3v wrote:What are you pting at now?


161-164. Been prepping lightly (all I can do, given my courseload, internship & thesis) for three weekish. I'm basically at the same point as where I was a year ago (June 2011). Which is why I feel I need time. Either way I'm taking October, I won't be fulled prepared until then. It's just a matter of whether or not taking December would be devastating to my cycle given my goals.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: When to take the LSAT/apply

Postby Br3v » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:28 pm

seancris wrote:
Br3v wrote:What are you pting at now?


161-164. Been prepping lightly (all I can do, given my courseload, internship & thesis) for three weekish. I'm basically at the same point as where I was a year ago (June 2011). Which is why I feel I need time. Either way I'm taking October, I won't be fulled prepared until then. It's just a matter of whether or not taking December would be devastating to my cycle given my goals.


So no chance your taking June? I dont see what you could learn from now till dec that you couldn't from now till oct, so I only see taking June as a possibility to buckle down now especially as classes end and give June what you got

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: When to take the LSAT/apply

Postby seancris » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Br3v wrote:
seancris wrote:
Br3v wrote:What are you pting at now?


161-164. Been prepping lightly (all I can do, given my courseload, internship & thesis) for three weekish. I'm basically at the same point as where I was a year ago (June 2011). Which is why I feel I need time. Either way I'm taking October, I won't be fulled prepared until then. It's just a matter of whether or not taking December would be devastating to my cycle given my goals.


So no chance your taking June? I dont see what you could learn from now till dec that you couldn't from now till oct, so I only see taking June as a possibility to buckle down now especially as classes end and give June what you got


I don't know I'm trying to figure that out.

I'll really be able to buckle down when I graduate in May... but that's only six weeks until the test. I feel like I'm taking a big risk in doing that because the June score is likely to be significantly lower than an October score. The only reason that I would take June would be insurance for October in case something unforseeable happens.

And if I forego June then the only insurance is December... and I'm not sure how that will work out, given that it's later in the app cycle. However, I did apply to 3 schools (Emory, OSU, Stetson) in the first week of January and got big scholarships to all three.

I'm just basically wondering how much it would hurt my application and quest for scholarship cash in the event that I have to take December and apply as soon as scores come out (not sure when that is... late december or early Jan?).

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: When to take the LSAT/apply

Postby Br3v » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:53 pm

seancris wrote:
Br3v wrote:
seancris wrote:
Br3v wrote:What are you pting at now?


161-164. Been prepping lightly (all I can do, given my courseload, internship & thesis) for three weekish. I'm basically at the same point as where I was a year ago (June 2011). Which is why I feel I need time. Either way I'm taking October, I won't be fulled prepared until then. It's just a matter of whether or not taking December would be devastating to my cycle given my goals.


So no chance your taking June? I dont see what you could learn from now till dec that you couldn't from now till oct, so I only see taking June as a possibility to buckle down now especially as classes end and give June what you got


I don't know I'm trying to figure that out.

I'll really be able to buckle down when I graduate in May... but that's only six weeks until the test. I feel like I'm taking a big risk in doing that because the June score is likely to be significantly lower than an October score. The only reason that I would take June would be insurance for October in case something unforseeable happens.

And if I forego June then the only insurance is December... and I'm not sure how that will work out, given that it's later in the app cycle. However, I did apply to 3 schools (Emory, OSU, Stetson) in the first week of January and got big scholarships to all three.

I'm just basically wondering how much it would hurt my application and quest for scholarship cash in the event that I have to take December and apply as soon as scores come out (not sure when that is... late december or early Jan?).


All from someone applying the same cycle as you, but I would personally do June?Oct instead of Oct/dec UNLESS you really feel you would under perform June and want to risk something unforseeable happening Oct. Taking Dec would mean you would get your scores when, Jan? If you want your best shot at your top school I think that is pretty late, still possible, but an additional risk.

User avatar
TyrionLannister
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 am

Re: When to take the LSAT/apply

Postby TyrionLannister » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:54 pm

seancris wrote:Basically I sat for one administration of the LSAT and got a 163. I'm hoping for 168+ in the future and I'm applying next year.

I'm taking the Velocity course but I'm realizing that I'm just going to get through the material in time for June. I won't have time to really reflect on it all and internalize it all. I only have 15 or so hours per week to put in to LSAT prep until I graduate in May.

My goal for my application cycle is to go to the highest-ranked school in my region (Southeast/South Atlantic) with the lowest possible debt. The schools I'm thinking about range from Duke/UVA to Emory/W&L/UF. I'm really just hoping to get W&L's 120k scholarship and attend as we love the location and the low debt would allow me to pursue government work more comfortably.

Bottom line is that I don't feel that I'll be prepared for the LSAT in June, and that I think I will be prepared in October. However, I don't want to waste my second attempt and put all of my eggs in the October basket. I have full access to my Velocity course until November.

Would it be reasonable to simply take October and use December as a fall back, applying as soon as I got my December score (in the event that I had to take December)? Given that scholarships are my priority?

People who applied in January at W&L still recieved the full 120k scholarship. In fact, I'm not sure that many scholarships were even given out before January.

What do you think about this plan? Not taking June and planning on October/December, with rigorous prep between now and October? Would I be screwed if I had to take December? Assuming that my options with the 163 alone are unacceptable.


These concerns literally could have been lifted from my subconscious.

For myself, living in Southern Cali, my goal is UCLA, my UG alma mater. As a Cali resident, tuition is cheaper to begin with, therefor any $$ received would have a greater impact. However, with a 3.47 GPA, I really need to kill the LSAT in order to get that $$. Same would go for USC, another Tier 1 option. When it all comes down to it, since I have 2 young kids, I really consider that scholarship $$ to be a main goal. I have T2 options of Pepperdine and Loyola nearby, as well as Tier 3 Southwestern. Some may call it a TTT, however they have been pumping lawyers out of a full century, so the regional alumni network is pretty vast. It's not even close to being my first choice, but that is how I have justified it as being remotely desirable... Those last three I am confident would be places where I could get the $$, but that brings us to the familiar debate of post-graduation job prospects. UCLA and USC would make for quadruple the opportunities... Plus my study time is currently as scarce as yours. A big detriment to building confidence and to improving abilities.

Bringing it back to your plight, the bottom line is that the freedom of NOT having that six-figure debt goes a long way to charting a desirable and enjoyable career and going to a better school opens up more doors. And all of that all starts with the LSAT. Sure, you want to jump in and see what you can put up, but you know yourself better than anyone. If you feel you wont be ready, you wont be ready. Waiting until October hurts nothing. And it seems from what you have said that taking the December test most likely wouldn't be a death sentence to the scholly $$.

Think of all that prep time after you are done with school!! For me, I work a job that gets very busy during the summer months. Waiting would ensure fewer distractions and fewer hours needed elsewhere.

It's a tough call seanchris, but holding off to gather strength might be the smarter choice. For both of us.

Imagine the prospect of no debt!! And people clamoring to give you job offers!! Damn, that would be sweet... :D

I vote to wait, go for the 120K.

User avatar
TyrionLannister
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 am

Re: When to take the LSAT/apply

Postby TyrionLannister » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:02 pm

Interesting to note that the TLS profile of W&L recommends applying early. Of course, the cutoff for their definition of 'early' is Feb. 1. Pretty cool charts of the admission statistics...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/washington-lee-law.html

Anyway, you probably already know that.

But as you say, you are scoring similar to June 2011. Perhaps you need the intense study-time of a free summer to make a breakthrough.

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: When to take the LSAT/apply

Postby seancris » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:11 pm

I appreciate the feedback from both of you.

I want to get in touch with someone from W&L and ask about the harm that might be done by applying in early Jan. Does anyone have a recommendation on who to talk to? I know the admissions director is usually the go-to guy.

And does anyone know when exactly december scores come back? I would hope that the test would be early Dec and that we would have our scores back before Jan or in the first week of January.

Oh, and when is the deadline to register for June? If I'm PTing in the upper 160s by then I may change my mind completely.

If anyone has any additional thoughts, please add them.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: When to take the LSAT/apply

Postby bp shinners » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:03 pm

seancris wrote: because the June score is likely to be significantly lower than an October score.


That's all I need to hear. October.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: When to take the LSAT/apply

Postby Br3v » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:06 pm

seancris wrote:I appreciate the feedback from both of you.

I want to get in touch with someone from W&L and ask about the harm that might be done by applying in early Jan. Does anyone have a recommendation on who to talk to? I know the admissions director is usually the go-to guy.

And does anyone know when exactly december scores come back? I would hope that the test would be early Dec and that we would have our scores back before Jan or in the first week of January.

Oh, and when is the deadline to register for June? If I'm PTing in the upper 160s by then I may change my mind completely.

If anyone has any additional thoughts, please add them.


Op, dont know who to contact but update when you do

And June cutoff date is on lsac site...something like 3 weeks before? (guess)




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests