RETAKE LSAT in June

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ttunsehc

RETAKE LSAT in June

Postby ttunsehc » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:12 pm

So I'm thinking I should retake the LSAT in June. I'm not too excited about the schools I got into (W&M and W&L) They are acceptable but who wants acceptable. My stats: 3.89/164.

I will probably put down my seat deposit for W&M and then try to retake in June.

Questions:
If I reapply next cycle will I have to rewrite my Personal Statement and Diversity Statement?
That might discourage me.

ttunsehc

Re: You should go to law school this cycle. LSAT in June

Postby ttunsehc » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:15 pm

So I'm thinking I should retake the LSAT in June. I've applied this cycle but I'm not too excited about the schools I got into (W&M and W&L) They are acceptable but who wants acceptable. My stats: 3.89/164.

I will probably put down my seat deposit for W&M and then try to You should go to law school this cycle. in June.

Questions:
If I reapply next cycle will I have to rewrite my Personal Statement and Diversity Statement?
That might discourage me.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:55 pm

Don't waste that great GPA. Study up and take it again. If no improvement, ED to UVA, as I'm sure you've read before.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:01 pm

yeah, your GPA is fucking sweet. study for the LSAT and you should be good.

twenty

Re: RETAKE LSAT in June

Postby twenty » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm interested to know what race/group you're identifying with to write a diversity statement. As a URM, unless you applied to two t14s in Feb, you should be in at at least some t14s with those numbers.

Either event, retake in June, no you won't have to rewrite your PS/DS unless you want to.

EDIT> Yeah, actually, I'd kind of encourage you to sit this cycle out and ED UVA. The difference between W&M and UVA is significant enough to warrant sitting out, while if you get a good increase on the June/October, you could be looking choosing between a few t14s, and may not even have to ED UVA.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:18 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:I'm interested to know what race/group you're identifying with to write a diversity statement. As a URM, unless you applied to two t14s in Feb, you should be in at at least some t14s with those numbers.

Either event, retake in June, no you won't have to rewrite your PS/DS unless you want to.

EDIT> Yeah, actually, I'd kind of encourage you to sit this cycle out and ED UVA. The difference between W&M and UVA is significant enough to warrant sitting out, while if you get a good increase on the June/October, you could be looking choosing between a few t14s, and may not even have to ED UVA.

URM is not the only form of diversity...

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:41 pm

t14fanboy wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:I'm interested to know what race/group you're identifying with to write a diversity statement. As a URM, unless you applied to two t14s in Feb, you should be in at at least some t14s with those numbers.

Its not?

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Nah bro there are such things as poor white folks. About as rare as leprechauns with pots of gold mind you.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:13 pm

t14fanboy wrote:

But it's the only form of diversity that law schools really give a shit about.

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:27 pm

JasonR wrote:But it's the only form of diversity that law schools really give a shit about.

Even white folks have to submit something. IE first-gen college student, multilingual, etc. It doesn't matter if law schools don't give a shit, you've still got to cover your bases and submit something.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Don't waste gpa. Study and take June.
Writing a few pages should not be effect your law school decesission

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Rewriting a PS and DS shouldn't really influence such a big decision like this. That's paltry work compared to the possible benefits of getting into a better school. I would kill to have that GPA.

ttunsehc

Postby ttunsehc » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:38 pm

So would I have to rewrite my PS and DS?

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:00 am

ttunsehc wrote:So would I have to rewrite my PS and DS?

Did you apply to all the top schools despite your LSAT? With a, let's say, 171, would you not be submitting apps to schools you didn't apply to before?

seancris

Postby seancris » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:57 am

You don't have to, but you should. At least for the schools that you're applying to for the second time.

But if re-writing a 2 page document is a serious consideration for you in this decision, I don't know what to tell you.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:55 pm

t14fanboy wrote:URM is not the only form of diversity...

There's not a lot of info on MA/PR/NA URM cycles, so I'm curious if OP didn't get in to t14 as one of these URMs. (self-serving motivation for asking, of course. :D )

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:07 pm

If you like your PS/DS, you don't have to do a page 1 rewrite. You can update it - there's got to be something in there that, a year from now, you have a different perspective on than you do right now.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”