Defer for more $$$?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zekeattack

Defer for more $$$?

Postby zekeattack » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:23 pm

So here's my LS app story... I'm a splitter who was thinking about applying all cycle but decided I wasn't ready to start Ls this fall. Thought putting off the applications another year was the best call. March comes around, and I decide that throwing an application to my ideal school can't really do harm, and also gives me a chance to start talking with them about scholarships programs etc. March 13th (deadline is the 15th) I send in my app. Found out this past week, that I was accepted with a modest scholarship. Definetly happy, but I'm not sure how to proceed.

Right now, I'm thinking that it would make the most sense for me to first write a request for more scholarship money, and see what comes up. From what I've read on these forums students with similar stats to me are getting a scholarship offer thats a step up. I don't have any other offers from schools to counter with. Worst thing is that they deny me. But if they do bump me up to that next level scholly, how does that effect my deferral? Is it common for scholarships to carry over, or at least with a fairly safe assumption that something similar will come up next year?

I think its a reasonable line of requests, especially as schools are increasingly aware of the growing debt burden of law grads. If it its helpful to know, the school is Colorado.

EMZE

Re: Defer for more $$$?

Postby EMZE » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:33 pm

The next level up scholarship that I believe you are referring to is the full scholarship for the first year, 10k 2L and 3L. The stipulation on that if I remember correctly was 3.0. From what I have heard on here, CU has a very generous curve, and there are very few under that number.

I would ask them for more $. If they decline, you might mention to them that if that is the case, you will just reapply next year earlier in the cycle. You should also mention that you will definitely attend based on that money. Since it is your #1 choice though, you never know how they will react next cycle if you do defer.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”