Which schools are most lenient to international students?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gabriella97

Which schools are most lenient to international students?

Postby gabriella97 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi law school experts on TLS, Salute! I'm a student from Asia. I'm going to apply to law schools this fall. Do you guys know which schools in T14 are most lenient to international students? Since my LSAT score is only 169. I want to know which schools are going to give more considerations to my application because of my "minority" status so that I can focus on these schools. Thanks for sharing fellows!

dresden doll

Re: Which schools are most lenient to international students?

Postby dresden doll » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:27 pm

You're not going to be treated as a minority. Also, 169 probably excludes you from the T6, so I'd focus on the MPVB and DGCN tiers.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:43 pm

dresden doll wrote:You're not going to be treated as a minority. Also, 169 probably excludes you from the T6, so I'd focus on the MPVB and DGCN tiers.

I agree. Especially Cornell and Michigan since you are at or above the LSAT median.

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:36 am

gabriella97 wrote:Hi law school experts on TLS, Salute! I'm a student from Asia. I'm going to apply to law schools this fall. Do you guys know which schools in T14 are most lenient to international students? Since my LSAT score is only 169. I want to know which schools are going to give more considerations to my application because of my "minority" status so that I can focus on these schools. Thanks for sharing fellows!

Have you considered retaking? If you don't have a numerical GPA, there's going to be a lot of weight put on that LSAT, so you won't be able to balance it out so much with a high GPA. That's especially true if you're hoping for a significant scholarship, which can be important for internationals, considering the extra costs.

But the answer your question, as far as I'm aware, no schools give you an extra boost for being international. It's either neutral or, in some situations, a negative. If there's something unique that you can bring to the table as an international, that might make for an interesting diversity statement, but in itself being from outside the US usually doesn't give you a significant advantage.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”