CC to pad GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jessgallison

CC to pad GPA

Postby jessgallison » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:52 pm

I am supposed to graduate in the spring, and my GPA is not where I want it to be. If I take classes in the summer and fall I can raise it to about a 3.2, which is basically the minimum I need to have a real chance at any of the schools i'm looking at. Its only about a 3.1 now.

I can't really afford to hang around at my very expensive university for another two quarters, but they arnt MAKING me graduate, and I think I could just take classes at a community college to get the same effect. So I wouldnt be AT my university, but I wouldnt be graduated yet either. Then I could just apply to graduate officially in the fall.

I wouldn't be taking random BS classes, but just lower division classes that relate to my two majors. Does anyone think this makes sense? I was planning on taking a year off before applying to schools anyway. I know law schools basically just care about what your GPA ends up being, so i'm hoping they wont care all that much where those grades came from. I had a bad second year, but have maintained a 3.7+ for my last two.

t14fanboy

Re: CC to pad GPA

Postby t14fanboy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Yes you can.

kakaa001

Postby kakaa001 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:33 pm

That works.

Check to see if your UG requires you to take the last 6-12 credits at the institution in order to graduate (and keep that in mind when taking classes if they do!). My UG had a rule like that and would not bend it for anyone!

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:27 pm

jessgallison wrote:I am supposed to graduate in the spring, and my GPA is not where I want it to be. If I take classes in the summer and fall I can raise it to about a 3.2, which is basically the minimum I need to have a real chance at any of the schools i'm looking at. Its only about a 3.1 now.

I can't really afford to hang around at my very expensive university for another two quarters, but they arnt MAKING me graduate, and I think I could just take classes at a community college to get the same effect. So I wouldnt be AT my university, but I wouldnt be graduated yet either. Then I could just apply to graduate officially in the fall.

I wouldn't be taking random BS classes, but just lower division classes that relate to my two majors. Does anyone think this makes sense? I was planning on taking a year off before applying to schools anyway. I know law schools basically just care about what your GPA ends up being, so i'm hoping they wont care all that much where those grades came from. I had a bad second year, but have maintained a 3.7+ for my last two.

Be careful
I was trying to do this. Then I saw one of my graduation requirements was "X amount of credits out of Y need to be taken at ____ during your last semester". Make sure you speak to an adviser before you do anything.

edit: Oh the guy above said it already

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”