Where does this belong on my application, if at all?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alwayssunnyinfl

Where does this belong on my application, if at all?

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:44 pm

Hello TLS Braintrust,

I've been trying to find something analogous to my situation on the message boards for a while and haven't been able to, so I'm going to throw this out there and see if anyone has any advice. I'm currently participating in an HIV vaccine trial with the NIH. I'm not in any sort of leadership role or research position, I'm just offering up my body to science. I am including a diversity statement with my applications, and part of me wants to include this somewhere because I really felt a moral imperative to volunteer for this study and I'm now thinking it might help further differentiate me from the other "I'm gay, I'm special" candidates. I'm already having a rough time keeping my diversity statement close to one page, and was wondering if this is something I could put on my resume if I can tie it in with other gay-related activities? Or should I just leave it out completely?

Also, no, I'm not doing it for the compensation. The $50 per office visit doesn't even come close to the amount I spend in gas and tolls commuting to Orlando from Miami. Any discussion/input would be appreciated!

P.S. I know the internets are forever, and I'm not posting anything that I wouldn't admit on an application or first date, but if you could be sensitive in your quoting just in case I decide to delete this post for discretion. Thanks!

JamMasterJ

Re: Where does this belong on my application, if at all?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:50 pm

Either in your p.s. or the volunteer section of your resume (if your resume includes details rather than job title/company/dates of employment type stuff)

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:21 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Either in your p.s. or the volunteer section of your resume (if your resume includes details rather than job title/company/dates of employment type stuff)

+1

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:41 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Either in your p.s. or the volunteer section of your resume (if your resume includes details rather than job title/company/dates of employment type stuff)

Thanks! So it doesn't sound completely irrelevant/inappropriate?

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:42 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

Not in my opinion. Just keep it concise.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:00 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

I don't think so.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:02 pm

Also, don't go over the top with your declaration of sexual orientation. Make sure it's not like, "I'm gay, so admit me."

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:54 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

Nope, especially if your diversity statement is about sexual orientation. Showing that you actually volunteer to help the minority community of which you're a part shows that you're not just banking on it to get a bump, but you actually will bring diversity to the school as well as bring your school to the community.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:21 pm

bp shinners wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

Nope, especially if your diversity statement is about sexual orientation. Showing that you actually volunteer to help the minority community of which you're a part shows that you're not just banking on it to get a bump, but you actually will bring diversity to the school as well as bring your school to the community.

+1

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”