Missing a Seat Deposit

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Titleist

Missing a Seat Deposit

Postby Titleist » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:43 pm

I have a seat deposit due Sunday for a school that gave me a huge scholarship but I am on the fence about the school. It is my third choice but I do not want to rule it out. If I miss this seat deposit what happens? What if in a week or two I decide it is where I want to go for various reasons? Will I still be able to send in a late deposit?

tl;dr- Can I still attend a school if I miss the seat deposit by a week or two?

mtyler19

Re: Missing a Seat Deposit

Postby mtyler19 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Titleist wrote:I have a seat deposit due Sunday for a school that gave me a huge scholarship but I am on the fence about the school. It is my third choice but I do not want to rule it out. If I miss this seat deposit what happens? What if in a week or two I decide it is where I want to go for various reasons? Will I still be able to send in a late deposit?

Ask for an extension.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Or double deposit.

They know that other schools haven't made their decisions yet and are trying to pressure you into a decision. If you just don't respond (neither ask for an extension nor pay) that's basically it, you've missed it. I mean, there are exceptions, I had a late deposit because I mailed one from overseas once and it was lost - but I notified them and when it arrived they could see from the post-mark that I made an effort to send it before the deadline.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:55 pm

Titleist wrote:I have a seat deposit due Sunday for a school that gave me a huge scholarship but I am on the fence about the school. It is my third choice but I do not want to rule it out. If I miss this seat deposit what happens? What if in a week or two I decide it is where I want to go for various reasons? Will I still be able to send in a late deposit?

Are you talking about WUSTL? Because it's refundable, IIRC. So deposit and get a refund if you change your mind later.

GatorCTS

Postby GatorCTS » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:04 pm

If you ask for an extension how long do schools normally give you?

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:06 pm

No I'm not talking about WUSTL.

I don't want to double deposit because this is my third choice. If it was my second choice I would be doing that. I will try and ask for an extension and see what happens. If they decline my extension I might consider double depositing (which might led to a triple deposit if I get in to my #1).

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:47 pm

GatorCTS wrote:If you ask for an extension how long do schools normally give you?

It depends on how badly they want you, and if they're going to try to play hardball with you.

Expect a few weeks, at most.

GatorCTS

Postby GatorCTS » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:35 pm

bp shinners wrote:
GatorCTS wrote:If you ask for an extension how long do schools normally give you?

It depends on how badly they want you, and if they're going to try to play hardball with you.

Expect a few weeks, at most.

Thats what I expected...thanks

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Update-I asked and was given one week.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”