Reapplying Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RamblinBoyofPleasure

Reapplying Advice

Postby RamblinBoyofPleasure » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:11 pm

I get the impression that a lot of people on this forum have applied to law schools more than once, and I would appreciate any advice or stories on the process. How people tend to do on their second go-around? Is it necessary to write a new personal statement, or can an addendum detailing your experience in the past year and reason for reapplying suffice? Did you notify schools in the spring that you would be reapplying in the fall?

cloudhidden

Re: Reapplying Advice

Postby cloudhidden » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:58 pm

bump

cloudhidden

Postby cloudhidden » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:10 am

Bumping again because I am shameless

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:30 am

You don't need to bump every few hours...

1. I don't know if it's necessary to write a new PS, but I would if you can make one of similar quality. They'll have your old app on file and not rewriting your PS can come off as lazy.

2. I probably wouldn't submit an addendum. Any new experience will be on your resume. If you were previously accepted then I would probably write an addendum (since they might waitlist/reject you if they don't think you're going to attend, which they have good reason to if you've already declined their offer before). But if you were rejected/waitlisted before then it's not important, imo.

3. No need to notify schools.

As for how well people do on reapplications, it depends. If nothing significant changed then it will probably be the same. If they have a new LSAT, applied much earlier, raised their GPA, got work experience for a school that cares about it (e.g. NU), etc then they will likely do better.

cloudhidden

Postby cloudhidden » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:16 pm

As far as applying to different schools, could one mention that they applied to other places previously, or would that incur the possibility of yield protection used against the applicant? I think this topic bodes for people thinking about retaking the LSAT, in which case I thought that a significant improvement can DRAMATICALLY help the applicant get into better schools.

Gail

Postby Gail » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:01 pm

cloudhidden wrote:As far as applying to different schools, could one mention that they applied to other places previously, or would that incur the possibility of yield protection used against the applicant? I think this topic bodes for people thinking about retaking the LSAT, in which case I thought that a significant improvement can DRAMATICALLY help the applicant get into better schools.

They'll ask if you've ever previously applied to their school. If not, don't worry. If you have, tell them.

Hope you really kill it for your retake, dude! :)

cloudhidden

Postby cloudhidden » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:39 am

Might be retaking to get out of mid 160's purgatory... Seems that that's the consensus on here. A mid 160er can minimize debt, but only outside top 20 or 30, and I have been frieghtened (from following TLS over the last few months) by job prospects outside those upper-crust schools.

Gail wrote:
cloudhidden wrote:As far as applying to different schools, could one mention that they applied to other places previously, or would that incur the possibility of yield protection used against the applicant? I think this topic bodes for people thinking about retaking the LSAT, in which case I thought that a significant improvement can DRAMATICALLY help the applicant get into better schools.

They'll ask if you've ever previously applied to their school. If not, don't worry. If you have, tell them.

Hope you really kill it for your retake, dude! :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”