How do I explain this? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mvonh001

Silver

Re: How do I explain this?

Post by mvonh001 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:If you think you can get your GPA up then do it, but if there's a chance that you wouldn't get an A then I wouldn't risk it. It sounds like you need to start preparing for the LSAT fairly soon.
already on that. thanks

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Samara wrote:If you can get up to a 3.3, it could be a small boost, but I think you'd have to get up to 3.4 for it to be a game changer. You'll have to weigh the costs of staying another semester or whatever. And make sure you don't accidentally complete your degree first.
Accidentally complete my degree first? I think at my school you need to apply for graduation, or at the very least because I transfered I don't have all of my requirements so I could just wait an extra semester to take my requirements and use that semester to take more classes.

So is the consensus that I should not stay if it will only raise my GPA to a 3.3? or a 3.4, even if it a risk to my GPA overall? Does the risk (a lower GPA) outweigh the reward (a slightly higher GPA)?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:01 pm

mvonh001 wrote:
Samara wrote:If you can get up to a 3.3, it could be a small boost, but I think you'd have to get up to 3.4 for it to be a game changer. You'll have to weigh the costs of staying another semester or whatever. And make sure you don't accidentally complete your degree first.
Accidentally complete my degree first? I think at my school you need to apply for graduation, or at the very least because I transfered I don't have all of my requirements so I could just wait an extra semester to take my requirements and use that semester to take more classes.

So is the consensus that I should not stay if it will only raise my GPA to a 3.3? or a 3.4, even if it a risk to my GPA overall? Does the risk (a lower GPA) outweigh the reward (a slightly higher GPA)?
Getting a little lower GPA shouldn't make a difference and getting a little higher GPA could make a small difference. If it wouldn't cost you much, it wouldn't be a bad idea. There are a lot of threads on this if you want more info.

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:22 pm

Samara wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:

Getting a little lower GPA shouldn't make a difference and getting a little higher GPA could make a small difference. If it wouldn't cost you much, it wouldn't be a bad idea. There are a lot of threads on this if you want more info.
cost meaning financially?

Where are these threads? Meaning what do i need to search to find them?

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:14 pm

hey man I posted this for someone in another thread I'll just copy and paste it for you:

Hopefully I can give you some hope here. I am in a similar predicament as you. My first two years of college I had a 1.5 GPA. My last 2 years I grew up and killed schools getting mostly A's and a few B's. My LSAC GPA is below a 3.0. I have been wait-listed at Univ of Miami. According to Law School Predictor I had <5% chance of acceptance, and most TLS'ers would say I would be an auto-reject. I think my Personal Statement & strong LOR's helped me avoid rejection. I know I'm still not in, but my numbers are by no means exemplary. I think it's just an example of how other factors do have an important role in the admissions process. Btw I got a 158 on the LSAT, by no means crushing the test. I'm also Hispanic so I think that is helping a little too. Hopefully this gives you some hope, aim high, the worst that can happen is you get a rejection letter.

Btw, there is some genuine advice on this site but take it with a grain of salt. A lot of the posters on here aren't even in law school (neither am I) so you can take that with a grain of salt as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:43 pm

rglifberg wrote:hey man I posted this for someone in another thread I'll just copy and paste it for you:

Hopefully I can give you some hope here. I am in a similar predicament as you. My first two years of college I had a 1.5 GPA. My last 2 years I grew up and killed schools getting mostly A's and a few B's. My LSAC GPA is below a 3.0. I have been wait-listed at Univ of Miami. According to Law School Predictor I had <5% chance of acceptance, and most TLS'ers would say I would be an auto-reject. I think my Personal Statement & strong LOR's helped me avoid rejection. I know I'm still not in, but my numbers are by no means exemplary. I think it's just an example of how other factors do have an important role in the admissions process. Btw I got a 158 on the LSAT, by no means crushing the test. I'm also Hispanic so I think that is helping a little too. Hopefully this gives you some hope, aim high, the worst that can happen is you get a rejection letter.

Btw, there is some genuine advice on this site but take it with a grain of salt. A lot of the posters on here aren't even in law school (neither am I) so you can take that with a grain of salt as well.
The median LSAT for the 2011 entering class at Miami is 158 and the median GPA is 3.38. The 25% GPA and LSAT is 3.18/156.
Being wait-listed with your stats is exactly where you should be.

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:21 pm

rglifberg wrote:hey man I posted this for someone in another thread I'll just copy and paste it for you:

thanks for the info

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”