Canadian Students Applying to U.S. Schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
I 26

New

Canadian Students Applying to U.S. Schools

Post by I 26 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:12 am

First post of hopefully several to many. Welcome, I 26.

Are Canadian (citizen) students subject to any form of bias when applying to U.S. law schools? I know tuition is greatly inflated for internationals - but other than that...

Or, on the other side, do Canadians experience any form of advantage in effect to "diversity" requirements at schools?

What about scholarships? Do U.S. law schools offer scholarships to international, Canadian students?

Thanks!

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Re: Canadian Students Applying to U.S. Schools

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:16 am

1. At private schools, Canadians pay the same as US students. At state schools, Canadians pay the out-of-state rate. At good state schools, the out-of-state rate is only a little more than the in-state rate.

2. White Canadians won't get any kind of diversity bonus. URM Canadians might - it depends on the details. There is little or no bias against Canadians - although there has been some speculation that Harvard is tougher on Canadian-educated Canadians, Harvard seems to be an outlier in that regard.

3. You are eligible for the same scholarships as Americans.

KingsBench

New

Post by KingsBench » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:55 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:There is little or no bias against Canadians - although there has been some speculation that Harvard is tougher on Canadian-educated Canadians, Harvard seems to be an outlier in that regard..
This is intriguing, I haven't stumbled on this in my TLS searching - could you provide any details on this?

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:26 pm

KingsBench wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:There is little or no bias against Canadians - although there has been some speculation that Harvard is tougher on Canadian-educated Canadians, Harvard seems to be an outlier in that regard..
This is intriguing, I haven't stumbled on this in my TLS searching - could you provide any details on this?
When I wrote that "there has been some speculation" - in all honesty, I was probably responsible for most of it.

On the Harvard thread this cycle, there seemed to be an unusually large number of internationals with high numbers who were held, waitlisted, or rejected - held especially. Quite a few were Canadians. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think Harvard let in a bunch of those internationals near the end of the cycle (in early April, perhaps), including some of the Canadians, so the situation improved after I wrote the above.

If you want the details, go back through the Harvard thread (it would probably take you an hour or two, though).

Of course, this is trying to see trends on the basis of a VERY small sample size. "Quite a few" is perhaps 4 or 5. It's fairly close to reading tea leaves. Still, there seemed to be very few high-numbered Americans who got held, waitlisted, or rejected, and there was obviously a much larger number of Americans applying overall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”