Could this help me get in?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wannabeadiplomat

Could this help me get in?

Postby wannabeadiplomat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Okay, my LSAT score is not very high, but my GPA is quite good. Here is my question: Could a high Bench Press be a decent substitute for a low LSAT score? At a bodyweight of just 160 lbs, I can bench press 265 lbs! If I included that in my application, do you think it would help or hinder my chances of getting into a decent school? If you think I should include this, where would be the most appropriate place to mention it? I suppose I could include it in my personal statement or my resume. Which of those two things would be the most appropriate? If not my bench press, maybe my squats? I can squat 350 lbs! Which of those two would be more impressive to mention? I don't want to sound too cocky ya know?

Do you think a 265 lb bench press is impressive? Maybe they would expect a higher amount? What percentile ranking do you think a 265 lb bench press would fall into? I'm thinking at least the 80th-percentile or possibly even higher. So what is your opinion on this? I think my impressive weight-lifting stats show a well-rounded individual that is not only intelligent but also very physically strong as well. Not that lawyers need to be physically strong in order to perform their case work or anything, but surely it is impressive now right? I'm thinking between a decent GPA and a high BP my chances of getting into Chase NKU are quite good, not to mention my very athletic father graduated from there in 1980.

JCFindley

Re: Could this help me get in?

Postby JCFindley » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:13 pm

wannabeadiplomat wrote:Okay, my LSAT score is not very high, but my GPA is quite good. Here is my question: Could a high Bench Press be a decent substitute for a low LSAT score? At a bodyweight of just 160 lbs, I can bench press 265 lbs! If I included that in my application, do you think it would help or hinder my chances of getting into a decent school? If you think I should include this, where would be the most appropriate place to mention it? I suppose I could include it in my personal statement or my resume. Which of those two things would be the most appropriate? If not my bench press, maybe my squats? I can squat 350 lbs! Which of those two would be more impressive to mention? I don't want to sound too cocky ya know?

Do you think a 265 lb bench press is impressive? Maybe they would expect a higher amount? What percentile ranking do you think a 265 lb bench press would fall into? I'm thinking at least the 80th-percentile or possibly even higher. So what is your opinion on this? I think my impressive weight-lifting stats show a well-rounded individual that is not only intelligent but also very physically strong as well. Not that lawyers need to be physically strong in order to perform their case work or anything, but surely it is impressive now right? I'm thinking between a decent GPA and a high BP my chances of getting into Chase NKU are quite good, not to mention my very athletic father graduated from there in 1980.

Are you being serious?

If so I would say you are WAY off track.......

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:13 pm

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Alternately: :lol:

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Weak. I think you should seriously consider relifting. No school is worth attending unless you can bench at least 300 lbs ITE.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:14 pm

wannabeadiplomat wrote:Okay, my LSAT score is not very high, but my GPA is quite good. Here is my question: Could a high Bench Press be a decent substitute for a low LSAT score? At a bodyweight of just 160 lbs, I can bench press 265 lbs! If I included that in my application, do you think it would help or hinder my chances of getting into a decent school? If you think I should include this, where would be the most appropriate place to mention it? I suppose I could include it in my personal statement or my resume. Which of those two things would be the most appropriate? If not my bench press, maybe my squats? I can squat 350 lbs! Which of those two would be more impressive to mention? I don't want to sound too cocky ya know?

Retake, ED UVA.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:16 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote: No school is worth attending unless you can bench at least 300 lbs ITE.

TITCR

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:17 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:Weak. I think you should seriously consider relifting. No school is worth attending unless you can bench at least 300 lbs ITE.

I lol'd

MTBike

Postby MTBike » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:18 pm

1) Retake
2) ED to UVA
3) Where are your ties?
4) TTTT
5) Retake or Don't Go
6) Did I ask where your ties are?
7) Ties

padawanphil

Postby padawanphil » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

love the reference

R86

Postby R86 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:21 pm

:D
Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

padawanphil

Postby padawanphil » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:22 pm

R86 wrote:Are you an URM?

They barely have to lift a thing...

oh shutup

nutella3000

Postby nutella3000 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:23 pm

It would matter if USNWR added athletic ability to the rankings. It would be fun to see that metric play out.

TyrionLannister

Postby TyrionLannister » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I nearly shit my pants LOLing. Well played, sir.

Oklahoma2014

Postby Oklahoma2014 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Now that's funny stuff! Personally, I think the bench press is more impressive and if you must report only one number or the other then choose that one. Also, on this forum, you would probably be in the 99th percentile with that body weight.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:34 pm

--ImageRemoved--

wannabeadiplomat

Postby wannabeadiplomat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:43 pm

For the record, Im half way joking/half way serious. I caught the Billy Madison reference, I take pride in the fact that my speech was similar to that of Adam Sandler's. I just get annoyed that schools believe you can measure an individual's intellectual capabilities in a matter of four hours. Personally, I think weight-lifting shows that I have drive and ambition, now would that fall over into law school? Maybe, maybe not.

omninode

Postby omninode » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:45 pm

I would love to see you Hulk-smash through the wall of an admissions office and demand a full ride. That would be glorious.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:45 pm

wannabeadiplomat wrote:For the record, Im half way joking/half way serious. I caught the Billy Madison reference, I take pride in the fact that my speech was similar to that of Adam Sandler's. I just get annoyed that schools believe you can measure an individual's intellectual capabilities in a matter of four hours. Personally, I think weight-lifting shows that I have drive and ambition, now would that fall over into law school? Maybe, maybe not.

^ Has drive and ambition

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:46 pm

wannabeadiplomat wrote:For the record, Im half way joking/half way serious. I caught the Billy Madison reference, I take pride in the fact that my speech was similar to that of Adam Sandler's. I just get annoyed that schools believe you can measure an individual's intellectual capabilities in a matter of four hours. Personally, I think weight-lifting shows that I have drive and ambition, now would that fall over into law school? Maybe, maybe not.

You could definitely use it in your personal statement. If you have so much drive and ambition, you need to focus on studying for your retake of the LSAT.

nutella3000

Postby nutella3000 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:49 pm

If we're being serious, I would say make weight-lifting your personal statement. Talk about how the dedication behind weight-lifting mirrors your dedication to your studies. You might also want to add weight-lifting as a personal hobby (if you have that section on your resume).

That said, no amount of weight-lifting will ever make up for the lsat/gpa. Those two numbers make or break you. And as you can tell from the comments here, no one takes weight-lifting stats seriously in LS admissions.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:55 pm

You guys might want to read the OP again. This is clearly a flame.

My favorite part:

wannabeadiplomat wrote:What percentile ranking do you think a 265 lb bench press would fall into?

padawanphil

Postby padawanphil » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:57 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:You guys might want to read the OP again. This is clearly a flame.

My favorite part:

wannabeadiplomat wrote:What percentile ranking do you think a 265 lb bench press would fall into?

For sure. First post = want to substitute my max bench for LSAT.

masked kavana

Postby masked kavana » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:00 pm

The drop in lifters this cycle bodes well for you.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:02 pm

I think the OP is onto something here, guys and gals. They should add a bench press field to lawschoolpredictor as I get the feeling that the LSAT score and BP score are often inversely correlated...

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Boalt Profile wrote:Applicants should still consider applying even if their credentials are not within this range, for Berkeley Law takes a holistic approach in its admission process.

Berkeley's median is usually a 310, but I think you stand a good shot due to their holistic approach

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”