A fork in the road

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
atlas1886

New

Re: A fork in the road

Postby atlas1886 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:44 pm

dingbat wrote:
atlas1886 wrote:The most valuable thing I have going for me currently is a number of years of life experience.

spending 8+ years in college doesn't count as life experience.
You're going to have to find a way to put a positive spin on it in your PS.

I've had other things going on during the past 7-8 years. Most of them won't go into my PS but where they CAN benefit me is if I've learned enough from them about life to focus myself.

dingbat

Gold

Postby dingbat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:52 pm

atlas1886 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
atlas1886 wrote:The most valuable thing I have going for me currently is a number of years of life experience.

spending 8+ years in college doesn't count as life experience.
You're going to have to find a way to put a positive spin on it in your PS.

I've had other things going on during the past 7-8 years. Most of them won't go into my PS but where they CAN benefit me is if I've learned enough from them about life to focus myself.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off snippety. I myself have taken the road less travelled as well.
However, you should probably explain those past 7-8 years in your PS

atlas1886

New

Postby atlas1886 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:00 pm

I certainly will include everything appropriate.

As far as the PS, my general intent is to be able to say: I never had any direction but in February 2012 I decided to pursue law...here's how it came about and what I've done since to prove that this is the case.

If from that point on I had a string of good EC's, a great LSAT, and outstanding grades at a brutal pace, I think I'd have some credibility.

spleenworship

Gold

Postby spleenworship » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:38 pm

atlas1886 wrote:I certainly will include everything appropriate.

As far as the PS, my general intent is to be able to say: I never had any direction but in February 2012 I decided to pursue law...here's how it came about and what I've done since to prove that this is the case.

If from that point on I had a string of good EC's, a great LSAT, and outstanding grades at a brutal pace, I think I'd have some credibility.

Don't make it look like you suddenly decided in February (unless you actually did, I guess) but rather as a culmination of a lot of things- making you realize it was the path you had always been on or some other metaphorical crap like that.

atlas1886

New

Postby atlas1886 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Hmmm...valid point.

JimmyHuang

New

Postby JimmyHuang » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Jaeger wrote:Anyway, your writing insinuates intelligence beyond your GPA. Good luck to you.

This. You deserve better.

Like that quote in Suits, fittingly a lawyer series, "You're Albert friggin' Einstein and you couldn't manage to get into law school. You think that's not from smoking weed"?

Could that be the riddle?

Edit: Yes, I went back to the show and found that quote.

atlas1886

New

Postby atlas1886 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:32 pm

I just want to say - thanks to anyone who has made supportive comments. It sucks when you wake up one day and realize you've dug a huge hole for yourself and kind words really help.

dingbat

Gold

Postby dingbat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:46 pm

atlas1886 wrote:I just want to say - thanks to anyone who has made supportive comments. It sucks when you wake up one day and realize you've dug a huge hole for yourself and kind words really help.

I can tell you from experience that you can dig your way out, but it's an uphill climb

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�