Should I Tell My Schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Should I Tell My Schools?

Postby Quan292 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:04 am

My cycle isn't going how I wanted to be and Ive been waitlisted at all but my 2 lowest ranked schools and have yet to hear from a couple others. On the bright side I was accepted into TFA (coming straight from undergrad) and already accepted the offer. I was hoping to get into a school now and defer these two years instead of going through the whole process again.

My question is should I send something (a letter or e-mail) telling them that I plan to defer because of TFA? Would this give me the work experience/ early app bonus or should I not even bother? I was planning on riding it out because i'm deferring anyway but would the letters be beneficial?

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: Should I Tell My Schools?

Postby target » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:13 am

For the school that you are waitlisted, is any of them your first first choice? Getting them give you a defer will bind you to them.

Do you think you can improve either GPA after this last semester? Improve LSAT by retaking?

User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Re: Should I Tell My Schools?

Postby Quan292 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:19 am

target wrote:For the school that you are waitlisted, is any of them your first first choice? Getting them give you a defer will bind you to them.

Do you think you can improve either GPA after this last semester? Improve LSAT by retaking?


Yes some of the schools I'm waitlisted at I would attend no questions asked.

My gpa wont increase much because it went down last semester which was not on the transcript I submitted to LSAC and will go us this semester to even out.

I took the Lsat twice so I can retake but I had tons of free time to study for this one and will have considerably less time doing TFA so I don't think I would increase much.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Should I Tell My Schools?

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:20 am

Quan292 wrote:My cycle isn't going how I wanted to be and Ive been waitlisted at all but my 2 lowest ranked schools and have yet to hear from a couple others. On the bright side I was accepted into TFA (coming straight from undergrad) and already accepted the offer. I was hoping to get into a school now and defer these two years instead of going through the whole process again.

My question is should I send something (a letter or e-mail) telling them that I plan to defer because of TFA? Would this give me the work experience/ early app bonus or should I not even bother? I was planning on riding it out because i'm deferring anyway but would the letters be beneficial?



I would retake and go through the whole process again, personally. If all your target schools have waitlisted you, you need to retake after the awesome WE that TFA will give you.

User avatar
Perdevise
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: Should I Tell My Schools?

Postby Perdevise » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:38 am

TFA is super competitive. Use it for a LOCI fodder; maybe some schools would be willing to accept you deferred to snap up a TFA alum. If you don't get an acceptable school, bite the bullet and apply again and two years of work experience will make you a much better applicant, and the pay will help with debt.

User avatar
notedgarfigaro
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: Should I Tell My Schools?

Postby notedgarfigaro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Generally, you can't defer an acceptance off of the waitlist; the whole point of the getting off the waitlist is that they have an open seat for the current year. Check each schools' waitlist FAQ/policies to see their specific rules.

User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Re: Should I Tell My Schools?

Postby Quan292 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Perdevise wrote:TFA is super competitive. Use it for a LOCI fodder; maybe some schools would be willing to accept you deferred to snap up a TFA alum. If you don't get an acceptable school, bite the bullet and apply again and two years of work experience will make you a much better applicant, and the pay will help with debt.


Thanks I havent wrote a LOCI yet to any school so I hope that this will help.

notedgarfigaro wrote:Generally, you can't defer an acceptance off of the waitlist; the whole point of the getting off the waitlist is that they have an open seat for the current year. Check each schools' waitlist FAQ/policies to see their specific rules.

Im confused by this. So should I just tell them to remove me from the waitlist or should I ride it out and if I do actually get accepted then tell them I wish to defer?

Also I applied really late (early February was my complete date) so Im hoping an early app would help too. My full cycle info is on my lsn which is linked in my profile for further info.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Should I Tell My Schools?

Postby cinephile » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Take TFA. It's a good work/life experience.

Don't defer, just reapply and fix whatever part of your application may have resulted in weak results (like get better recs, better PS, retake LSAT, apply earlier -- whatever harmed you before).

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Should I Tell My Schools?

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Perdevise wrote:TFA is super competitive. Use it for a LOCI fodder; maybe some schools would be willing to accept you deferred to snap up a TFA alum. If you don't get an acceptable school, bite the bullet and apply again and two years of work experience will make you a much better applicant, and the pay will help with debt.



This, except if your movement isn't sufficient for you, I wouldn't worry about deferring and just reapply in two years. You'll be a much, much better candidate by then, and chances are you'll get into better schools than the ones that will defer you if you can climb a few points in the LSAT and do well with TFA.

If you don't get into the schools you want with the scholarship money to pursue your dreams, have you taken time off of school before now? TFA is extremely competitive and very impressive, especially paired with your URM status and decent GPA . If you haven't taken time off of school yet, you might benefit from it. I took a a few years off between high school and college, and it was definitely the best thing I could have done for myself. Taking a few years off between ug and law school to do TFA is infinitely better. Also, don't let your October LSAT score discourage you from retaking. You can take the test 3 times in any two year period, so you should have at least 4 chances to retake before the cycle in two years if you go TFA. Of course, you probably don't want to do that, but you'll have plenty of time to prep and do well. And, FWIW, I took the October test, too, and consistently pt'ed between 165-167 and got a 164. I calmed down, retook in feb, and way outperformed my pt's.

EDIT: Grammar/haven't slept in a couple of days

User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Re: Should I Tell My Schools?

Postby Quan292 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:49 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Perdevise wrote:TFA is super competitive. Use it for a LOCI fodder; maybe some schools would be willing to accept you deferred to snap up a TFA alum. If you don't get an acceptable school, bite the bullet and apply again and two years of work experience will make you a much better applicant, and the pay will help with debt.



This, except if your movement isn't sufficient for you, I wouldn't worry about deferring and just reapply in two years. You'll be a much, much better candidate by then, and chances are you'll get into better schools than the ones that will defer you if you can climb a few points in the LSAT and do well with TFA.

If you don't get into the schools you want with the scholarship money to pursue your dreams, have you taken time off of school before now? TFA is extremely competitive and very impressive, especially paired with your URM status and decent GPA . If you haven't taken time off of school yet, you might benefit from it. I took a a few years off between high school and college, and it was definitely the best thing I could have done for myself. Taking a few years off between ug and law school to do TFA is infinitely better. Also, don't let your October LSAT score discourage you from retaking. You can take the test 3 times in any two year period, so you should have at least 4 chances to retake before the cycle in two years if you go TFA. Of course, you probably don't want to do that, but you'll have plenty of time to prep and do well. And, FWIW, I took the October test, too, and consistently pt'ed between 165-167 and got a 164. I calmed down, retook in feb, and way outperformed my pt's.

EDIT: Grammar/haven't slept in a couple of days


Thank you and congrats on your feb LSAT score. Im doing H.S- UG-TFa straight so time wise I am very young and won't mind taking the extra years. I really wouldnt mind going to any school that I am on the waitlist for so i'd rather just have the process over asap so I can focus on teaching tho.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Should I Tell My Schools?

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Quan292 wrote:Thank you and congrats on your feb LSAT score. Im doing H.S- UG-TFa straight so time wise I am very young and won't mind taking the extra years. I really wouldnt mind going to any school that I am on the waitlist for so i'd rather just have the process over asap so I can focus on teaching tho.


True, although would deferring admissions bar you from reapplying anywhere else for the cycle to which they defer you? I just feel like no matter what, even if you don't retake, you're going to be able to write a much better PS and have a much better resume after TFA, and the caliber of schools and scholarship available will be so much better. You wouldn't want to lock yourself out of any opportunities because you're burnt out now.

But, I'm assuming, we're talking about a very hypothetical situation, getting pulled off the waitlist and offered a two year deferral. And I haven't actually gone through the process of applying, but is it really that taxing that if you remove yourself from the whole process and come back in two years it will be that much of a drain? If it's just the LSAT giving you anxiety, forget about it for a little while, you'll be a better candidate regardless.

User avatar
notedgarfigaro
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: Should I Tell My Schools?

Postby notedgarfigaro » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Quan292 wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:Generally, you can't defer an acceptance off of the waitlist; the whole point of the getting off the waitlist is that they have an open seat for the current year. Check each schools' waitlist FAQ/policies to see their specific rules.

Im confused by this. So should I just tell them to remove me from the waitlist or should I ride it out and if I do actually get accepted then tell them I wish to defer?

Also I applied really late (early February was my complete date) so Im hoping an early app would help too. My full cycle info is on my lsn which is linked in my profile for further info.


I can't say with certainty, but if a school offers you a spot off the waitlist, and you ask to defer, the most likely outcome will be withdrawal of the offer. I know that the three schools I was waitlisted at were pretty explicit in that any offer was for that year only and deferral wasn't an option.

IMO, do TFA, withdraw from the waitlists, retake, and get your apps in earlier. I'm betting you'd have a significantly better cycle next time around.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], BobBoblaw and 1 guest