Chapman Vs. Loyola WL

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
harocutter

Chapman Vs. Loyola WL

Postby harocutter » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:43 pm

GPA: 2.83
LSAT: 166

I have been accepted at Chapman, and wait-listed at Loyola. I'm uncertain of whether I should commit to Chapman, or stand-by on Loyola's wait-list. Also, what do you think the likely-hood is that I would be accepted at Loyola from their wait-list? My biggest concern is that Chapman is a tier 3 school and my job opportunities would not be so great with a degree from that school. Is the tier 3 toilet saying really true? Would part-time at Loyola be better than full-time at Chapman? Is my law career doomed going to Chapman? I'm just so confused.... I've also listed the pros and cons of each school to be more helpful, thanks again.

Pros of Loyola: Better school and reputation, better job opportunities, better education
Cons of Loyola: No scholarship, have to move to LA, living expenses.

Pros of Chapman: Scholarship, close to where I live, decent school, in Orange County where I want to work and live.
Cons of Chapman: Worse school, weaker job opportunities, reputation is not as high as Loyola.

bdole2

Re: Chapman Vs. Loyola WL

Postby bdole2 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Could you live at home if you went to Chapman? What is your scholarship amount? Stipulations on this scholarship? What would your total debt be for a degree from Chapman?

I would NOT pay sticker for Loyola. The debt will crush you. Look up UC-I on law school numbers and see what LSAT score you would need for them to give you a scholarship and consider retaking / reapplying next year.

harocutter

Postby harocutter » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:21 pm

Yes I would be able to live at home if I went to chapman, which would save me a lot of money. The scholarship is only 5000 need based. My biggest concern is the difference in job opportunities between the two schools. If I were to graduate top 10 percent at chapman I could still land a good, respectable job? Orange county dose not have a lot of local law schools, so I was thinking this would increase my chances of landing an OC law firm job.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 pm

harocutter wrote:Yes I would be able to live at home if I went to chapman, which would save me a lot of money. The scholarship is only 5000 need based. My biggest concern is the difference in job opportunities between the two schools. If I were to graduate top 10 percent at chapman I could still land a good, respectable job? Orange county dose not have a lot of local law schools, so I was thinking this would increase my chances of landing an OC law firm job.

At that price I wouldn't gamble on Chapman. Even removing CoL expenses you will likely end up in $100k+ in debt. While it is POSSIBLE to land a job that will pay off that debt in a reasonable amount of time, your chances are not good.

I know you think that you will try super hard and guarantee that you will be in the top 10%, but everyone thinks this way and 90% of students aren't in the top 10%.

Although your chances will be slightly higher of getting a better job coming from Loyola, your debt will be much much higher, making Loyola an even worse chance than Chapman.

It's unfortunate that California doesn't like splitters as much as the midwest. Like I said, check LSN and see if there is anyway that a higher LSAT could get you some $$ at UC-I and consider a retake.

Napt

Postby Napt » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Retake...

Chapman or Loyola at sticker is a first-class ticket to unemployed debt-slavery.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”