UVA ED ??? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mr.Manager

New

UVA ED ???

Post by Mr.Manager » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:42 pm

I've read a lot of old posts in these forums about the boost applicants with slightly lower LSATs / GPAs can get in applying to UVA Early Decision versus regular decision. From some of the articles, people seem to make the boost out to be major for reverse splitters. Is the boost really that significant for an in-state student contemplating ED next cycle (in this case, above 75% GPA but around 25% LSAT)

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: UVA ED ???

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Mr.Manager wrote:I've read a lot of old posts in these forums about the boost applicants with slightly lower LSATs / GPAs can get in applying to UVA Early Decision versus regular decision. From some of the articles, people seem to make the boost out to be major for reverse splitters. Is the boost really that significant for an in-state student contemplating ED next cycle (in this case, above 75% GPA but around 25% LSAT)
You'd be as close to a lock as one can be, if that's what you're asking.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:24 am

You've got an excellent shot as it is. However, a retake could help your cause and get you to the point where you wouldn't have to ED and could get some $$.

TennesseeBob

New

Post by TennesseeBob » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:03 pm

I was acepted RD with somewhat similar numbers, but I wouldn't agree that you are near to a lock. It seems that getting in with a sub-168 or sub-170 is rare from what I've heard at my school about UVA law admissions. It seems like I may have gotten lucky in getting in with those types of numbers.

Then again, i dunno how your in-state and ED would play out or affect your chances.

Mr.Manager

New

Post by Mr.Manager » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:43 am

hmm.. does anyone have any experience on the difference between in-state ED or just regular admissions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:48 pm

TennesseeBob wrote:I was acepted RD with somewhat similar numbers, but I wouldn't agree that you are near to a lock. It seems that getting in with a sub-168 or sub-170 is rare from what I've heard at my school about UVA law admissions. It seems like I may have gotten lucky in getting in with those types of numbers.

Then again, i dunno how your in-state and ED would play out or affect your chances.
OP has a great shot with ED. UVA is known to be a complete whore for any ED applicant that will boost one of its artificially inflated medians. If you look at their 25th percentiles, I think they have the 2nd-lowest 25th LSAT and the 3rd-lowest 25th GPA among T14s (could be the reverse?).

Mr.Manager

New

Post by Mr.Manager » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:30 am

I have been curious about that- I've seen UVA's average stats at 3.85/170 which makes me feel like I am a long shot. I'm not exactly brilliant with statistics, but how are the median numbers are so close to their 75% numbers???

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Mr.Manager wrote:I have been curious about that- I've seen UVA's average stats at 3.85/170 which makes me feel like I am a long shot. I'm not exactly brilliant with statistics, but how are the median numbers are so close to their 75% numbers???
They accept a ton people ED with 170s and 171s almost regardless of GPA, whereas most other T14s have GPA floors.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:26 pm

Samara wrote:
Mr.Manager wrote:I have been curious about that- I've seen UVA's average stats at 3.85/170 which makes me feel like I am a long shot. I'm not exactly brilliant with statistics, but how are the median numbers are so close to their 75% numbers???
They accept a ton people ED with 170s and 171s almost regardless of GPA, whereas most other T14s have GPA floors.
That only explains half the picture? Why so high median? I guess it's just most of the ppl with those lsat had that gpa.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Br3v wrote:
Samara wrote:
That only explains half the picture? Why so high median? I guess it's just most of the ppl with those lsat had that gpa.
think about it.... if they secure say 49% of their kids with high LSAT, and 45% with high GPA, they could offer large scholarships etc to everyone with above median LSAT and GPA to fill out the last 2% of their class for a high median.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”