lawschoolpredictor vs. lawschoolnumbers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BlueJeanBaby

lawschoolpredictor vs. lawschoolnumbers

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 am

Which of these is more accurate? Law school predictor puts me at "deny" for a LOT of schools, while law school numbers shows a sea of green dots surrounding my numbers. Which is better to follow when creating a list of places to apply?

Br3v

Re: lawschoolpredictor vs. lawschoolnumbers

Postby Br3v » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:05 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:Which of these is more accurate? Law school predictor puts me at "deny" for a LOT of schools, while law school numbers shows a sea of green dots surrounding my numbers. Which is better to follow when creating a list of places to apply?

Both strength and weak in areas. I'm more familiar with LSN and think it makes more sense to see how you compare with past accepted/waitlisted/denied applicants than flat out predicting yours

Postby 2014 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Lawschoolpredictor is based off of data from lawschoolnumbers however it uses last years data and this year for whatever school you are looking at might be different.

LSN is better with splitters though because averaging a bunch of outliers can produce less representative results.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:01 pm

Thank you. I guess I am somewhat of a splitter. LSN makes my prospects look much more optimistic.

MellowMantis

Postby MellowMantis » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:19 pm

I'd rely on LSN more, I had schools that predictor said I'd be denied from that I was accepted to and schools it sa were admit and denied from, there is no sure fire way to predict where you'll be admitted, use it as a rough barometer nd apply to a lot of schools or all schools your interested in

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:43 pm

I have no clue. Both were deceptive for me.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:11 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:Thank you. I guess I am somewhat of a splitter. LSN makes my prospects look much more optimistic.

Well, there's your problem. The bigger a splitter you are, the less accurate LSP is. What are your numbers and what schools are you targeting?

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:07 pm

Samara wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:Thank you. I guess I am somewhat of a splitter. LSN makes my prospects look much more optimistic.

Well, there's your problem. The bigger a splitter you are, the less accurate LSP is. What are your numbers and what schools are you targeting?

Anywhere in North Carolina. I'll PM you my numbers.

Rock1245

Postby Rock1245 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:19 pm

Gail wrote:I have no clue. Both were deceptive for me.

What do you mean by deceptive? Were they both overly optimistic for you?

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Rock1245 wrote:
Gail wrote:I have no clue. Both were deceptive for me.

What do you mean by deceptive? Were they both overly optimistic for you?

Overly optimistic. Waitlist armageddon. That said, I also got a few very nice offers that I'm happy with, so your mileage may vary.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:31 pm

My understanding is that LSP doesn't take into account cutoffs as well as it should. For example having a 180 LSAT vs. a 172 LSAT will give you much better chances at Michigan according to LSP but because Michigan's 75th is 171 the true benefit is going to be much smaller.

john_smith291988

Postby john_smith291988 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:57 am

Br3v wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:Which of these is more accurate? Law school predictor puts me at "deny" for a LOT of schools, while law school numbers shows a sea of green dots surrounding my numbers. Which is better to follow when creating a list of places to apply?

Both strength and weak in areas. I'm more familiar with LSN and think it makes more sense to see how you compare with past accepted/waitlisted/denied applicants than flat out predicting yours

Why use a Law school Predictor? Isn't it much better if you will just go for the school you choose and apply?

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:50 am

john_smith291988 wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Why use a Law school Predictor? Isn't it much better if you will just go for the school you choose and apply?

Wat

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:11 am

NomNom wrote:
john_smith291988 wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Wat

Correct me if wrong, but I believe john_smith thinks law school predictor is one of those sites where you enter your goals/interests/LSAT/gpa and it tells you what school would be a good fit.

John, this is not the case. The site gives you a rough gauge where you would be accepted based in gpa and lsat

john_smith291988

Postby john_smith291988 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:23 pm

Yes that was what I am thinking, thank you for your explanation but I want to know how accurate the Law predictor is? :)

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:20 am

john_smith291988 wrote:Yes that was what I am thinking, thank you for your explanation but I want to know how accurate the Law predictor is? :)

Its fairly accurate in the sense that it includes a large amount of numbers and averages it out. Your case will more than likely be different than the exact average case. Like the census says each family has like 2.3 kids (made up) but no one has 2.3 kids. Get it?

That was a horrible analogy

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:30 am

john_smith291988 wrote:Yes that was what I am thinking, thank you for your explanation but I want to know how accurate the Law predictor is? :)

This question gets asked all the time. It's on the freakin website.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/?page_id=173

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:41 am

rad lulz wrote:

Ive noticed the site loves TLS as well.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:39 am

Look at people's comments on their LSN profiles - a lot of people will post what LSP "predicted". Reality tends to be a little less harsh for some cases.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Br3v wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Ive noticed the site loves TLS as well.

Ycrevoltion created LSP dude

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:52 pm

LSP is accurate in some ways and inaccurate in others. It will give you a guide of what tier you can feel comfortable with.

It isn't bullet proof though and don't think that you're immune to WL and rejections. You just don't know what admissions thinks and how your application comes off to them. Is law school largely numbers based? Yes. But strike out in that last 5% of softs and it gets less predictable.

By the way, don't apply anywhere that you don't have ties to unless T-14.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”