Harvard Held- New Info: TFA and University Hall Of Fame

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Luco7

Harvard Held- New Info: TFA and University Hall Of Fame

Postby Luco7 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:16 pm

[*]Good morning everyone,

I just received an email from Harvard telling me that my application has been held. My gpa and lsat are not super high but I have substantial leadership experience and I am a urm male. New developments since I submitted my application: I have been accepted to Teach For America and inducted to my University's Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame award has been around since 1921- every year, 25 seniors who have shown superior leadership and achievement get inducted. In regards to TFA, I have accepted my offer and will defer law school for two years (main option now, pending HLS admission, is deferring to NYU).

With this background info out of the way, here is my question: Would it help or hurt for me to send a statement saying that I have been accepted to TFA and that I will definitely defer to HLS if admitted?

I really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance everyone!

Br3v

Re: Harvard Held- New Info: TFA and University Hall Of Fame

Postby Br3v » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Luco7 wrote:[*]Good morning everyone,

I just received an email from Harvard telling me that my application has been held. My gpa and lsat are not super high but I have substantial leadership experience and I am a urm male. New developments since I submitted my application: I have been accepted to Teach For America and inducted to my University's Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame award has been around since 1921- every year, 25 seniors who have shown superior leadership and achievement get inducted. In regards to TFA, I have accepted my offer and will defer law school for two years (main option now, pending HLS admission, is deferring to NYU).

With this background info out of the way, here is my question: Would it help or hurt for me to send a statement saying that I have been accepted to TFA and that I will definitely defer to HLS if admitted?

I really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance everyone!

Of course it would. Are you sure you want TFA?

Luco7

Postby Luco7 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:04 pm

So you don’t think that telling them that I would defer would elicit a “Well then, apply in 2 years” response from HLS?

Also, a friend of mine told me to mention that NYU will allow me to defer and that I am a finalist for a scholarship there. Is it wise to mention offers from other schools?

Thanks for your answer! I do. I’ve been involved with an alternative school for the past year and a half and love it. Career wise, I plan to be at the intersection of law and educational policy so TFA is for me!

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Retake and reapply if Haahvaahd won't defer your admission. You'll have two years to squeeze an extra point or two out of the LSAT.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:11 pm

Luco7 wrote:So you don’t think that telling them that I would defer would elicit a “Well then, apply in 2 years” response from HLS?

Their GPA/LSAT numbers won't move much in that time (and could possibly go down with applications going the way they are, however unlikely). Also, they like having TFA grads in their program. So I think you'd be fine if you sent them an update letting them know that. I'd personally recommend sending it in.

As far as the Hall of Fame goes, if I mentioned it at all, I'd do so in passing. It's not really a 'brand new' soft, as you earned it off of the stuff that HLS already has via your resume. It might put that stuff in a more positive light (i.e. HLS will know that the school recognizes those softs as way above average), but it's not something new that you've done.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”