LOCI timing question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Archoholic

LOCI timing question

Postby Archoholic » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:31 am

I got my application in relatively late - 2/20, and the school in question's status check site is still showing "Application Completed." Without disclosing the school (which may or may not affect your responses), what do you people think about my writing a LOCI in the near future? This school is my top choice, for various reasons, and I want to believe a LOCI might help my case. So, should I write it now, pre-review, or wait for them to start reviewing my app?

I'll hang up and listen.

freaknroll

Re: LOCI timing question

Postby freaknroll » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:54 pm

It's been a month dude.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Wait for them to review your application unless you truly have something monumental to add to your file that has happened since you submitted. Something monumental being an explanation for an increase in LSAT of 10+ points (though even this depends on what you originally applied with), a jump in your GPA of .1, or some seriously prestigious award or publication.

If you submitted a shitty application from the get go, then an LOCI probably won't save you. I think the only exception would be if the school offered you the opportunity to write an optional essay and you didn't the first time around. Even in this case, and depending on the school, you will probably risk showing that you rushed your application.

Some of this stuff is school dependent. It would be beneficial to know which school you are talking about and your numbers, soft factors, and whether you live near your school. Those are helpful in determining if you would be a candidate for YP, in which case an LOCI might be helpful. Either way, you submitted pretty late in the game, and there are no shortage of applicants (me) that submitted in October and still have not heard back from some schools and have not submitted an LOCI yet.

Archoholic

Postby Archoholic » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:50 pm

EMZE wrote:Some of this stuff is school dependent. It would be beneficial to know which school you are talking about and your numbers, soft factors, and whether you live near your school. Those are helpful in determining if you would be a candidate for YP, in which case an LOCI might be helpful. Either way, you submitted pretty late in the game, and there are no shortage of applicants (me) that submitted in October and still have not heard back from some schools and have not submitted an LOCI yet.

Wow. I didn't realize how long it takes some schools to get back to people. I last applied to a college program about 14 years ago, and have forgotten the time elapsed between submitting those apps and getting my responses.

As for what school - let's just say it's a TT in a top-10 US city. I have lived and worked here for the past 12 years, and would most definitely say yes to this school, to avoid moving, my wife having to get a new job, and my kids acclimating to a new city, just so I could attend law school. It's a no-brainer, and I'm just anxious. Hence my post. Anyway, I guess I'll cool myself on the LOCI until my app is in review, or if I get a response I don't really want to think about right now. Thanks for the commentary.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Archoholic wrote:
EMZE wrote:Some of this stuff is school dependent. It would be beneficial to know which school you are talking about and your numbers, soft factors, and whether you live near your school. Those are helpful in determining if you would be a candidate for YP, in which case an LOCI might be helpful. Either way, you submitted pretty late in the game, and there are no shortage of applicants (me) that submitted in October and still have not heard back from some schools and have not submitted an LOCI yet.

Wow. I didn't realize how long it takes some schools to get back to people. I last applied to a college program about 14 years ago, and have forgotten the time elapsed between submitting those apps and getting my responses.

As for what school - let's just say it's a TT in a top-10 US city. I have lived and worked here for the past 12 years, and would most definitely say yes to this school, to avoid moving, my wife having to get a new job, and my kids acclimating to a new city, just so I could attend law school. It's a no-brainer, and I'm just anxious. Hence my post. Anyway, I guess I'll cool myself on the LOCI until my app is in review, or if I get a response I don't really want to think about right now. Thanks for the commentary.

Based on everything you said and everything in your profile, I can pretty much figure out what school you are talking about. Based on the numbers in your profile, and assuming you are not a URM and I am correct about the school, you are iffy on whether you will get in or not. That you are a non-traditional applicant, and have a lot of work experience should work to your benefit, and I hope it is enough to nudge you over into the accept pile.

Since you live and work in the same city as the school, instead of an LOCI, if you want to try express your sincere interest you might be successful in doing so by visiting the school. Call the school and ask them if that would be possible for you as an applicant. I don't know a lot about the school in particular, but since interest is what you hope to convey that might benefit you more than the LOCI.

While I realize what follows is not the advice you asked for, since you already have a job, career, and family, have you considered retaking the LSAT? As someone who also has been out of school for a while and had a career before applying to law school, I found an incredible degree of forgiveness for my GPA. I also took the LSAT on a whim the first time, but retook the second time after some more studying and lessons learned from my first experience, and have had a great cycle when considering the fact I am in at schools while being below both 25%. 12 years of work experience, an LSAT over a 172, and an awesome PS gives you a decent shot at T14. PM me if you want my perspective as a non-traditional applicant who outperformed his numbers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”