Admission rush with scholarship deadline?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Admission rush with scholarship deadline?

Postby abbottsbar » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:12 am

I'm not really sure where to post this, so I figured here is as good as anywhere else.

I've been awarded a large scholarship to a school that is not my #1 (or 2nd or 3rd), but the appeal of going to law school for free is enticing.

My dilemma is that I am awaiting admission notification at my 2nd and 3rd choices and the the school that issued the scholarship wants an answer within 15 days :x

Would it be beneficial to call my 2nd and 3rd choices to see if there is any way a rush decision could be issued?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Admission rush with scholarship deadline?

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:17 am

No guarantees, but it probably won't hurt (assuming you do it politely) and there have been cases of people getting decisions after doing this.

Phightins
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Admission rush with scholarship deadline?

Postby Phightins » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:03 pm

I would call to check on the status of your application and tell them why. I wouldn't let a full ride float away without attempting to be proactive.

User avatar
Jaeger
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Admission rush with scholarship deadline?

Postby Jaeger » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:40 pm

I would even call the school that offered the full ride and explain that you appreciate their offer and they are a top choice for you, however you are still waiting on hearing from another school so if there is a way that you could get the deadline extended. Wouldn't hurt.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Admission rush with scholarship deadline?

Postby bp shinners » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:15 pm

Jaeger wrote:I would even call the school that offered the full ride and explain that you appreciate their offer and they are a top choice for you, however you are still waiting on hearing from another school so if there is a way that you could get the deadline extended. Wouldn't hurt.


I would also recommend this. Unless we're talking about a school that gives out scholarships like candy, the school obviously really wants you to attend there, as evinced by the full ride. If you call them up and let them know that they're a huge consideration, they're usually willing to give a little leeway with deadlines. And if they don't, it's probably a school I wouldn't consider attending (this is meant for a school that's trying to play hardball with you - accept now or you lose everything! - as the more reputable schools will work with students in these situations).

Just understand that holding off on that decision does affect this law school, as they have limited scholarship funds and want to get that settled ASAP. So while I would be put off by a school that won't budge, I'd expect the deadline to be extended by only a few weeks.

Calling the other schools also won't hurt, and it might get your review accelerated.

User avatar
PARTY
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Admission rush with scholarship deadline?

Postby PARTY » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:24 pm

I attempted to get a similar deadline extended, and I was flat out denied. It was one of their higher scholarships.

User avatar
cylon_clone
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: Admission rush with scholarship deadline?

Postby cylon_clone » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:36 pm

PARTY wrote:I attempted to get a similar deadline extended, and I was flat out denied. It was one of their higher scholarships.

I asked for a scholarship extension and - while not as long as I requested - was given an addition week to think it over. Good-size scholarship from a t14. Depends on the school and the (valid) excuse that you give.

I'd recommend asking for a scholly extension from your non-#1 well as sending a LOCI to your #1 that can also serve as a status check to your application.

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Admission rush with scholarship deadline?

Postby abbottsbar » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:21 pm

I do plan to call the school offering the full ride on Monday and ask them to give me a little time. I have already sent emails to schools 2 and 3 asking them to expedite my decision. I will be following up with my #1 on Monday to check the status of any additional merit aid.

Thank for the insights and I'll keep you posted.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Admission rush with scholarship deadline?

Postby 2014 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:33 am

A lot of people deposit at a school to hold a place/scholarship and ultimately end up elsewhere. If you are seriously considering the full ride, putting down 200 bucks or whatever to keep that option open might sting a little, but it can be a good decision.

User avatar
Jaeger
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Admission rush with scholarship deadline?

Postby Jaeger » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:38 am

2014 wrote:A lot of people deposit at a school to hold a place/scholarship and ultimately end up elsewhere. If you are seriously considering the full ride, putting down 200 bucks or whatever to keep that option open might sting a little, but it can be a good decision.



Usually for scholarships like that they make you sign a form that says you accept the scholarship and will attend.

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Admission rush with scholarship deadline?

Postby abbottsbar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:38 am

Jaeger wrote:
2014 wrote:A lot of people deposit at a school to hold a place/scholarship and ultimately end up elsewhere. If you are seriously considering the full ride, putting down 200 bucks or whatever to keep that option open might sting a little, but it can be a good decision.



Usually for scholarships like that they make you sign a form that says you accept the scholarship and will attend.


Yeah, unfortunately there is a caveat in the acceptance that is binding for enrollment. I can understand it from the school's side as it is a nice chunk of change to set aside for a student that could possibly go to another candidate.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: missamerica, TripTrip and 7 guests