Graduate Transcript? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Law1L24

New

Graduate Transcript?

Post by Law1L24 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:13 am

Hi guys posting for the first time,

I was accepted into a T100 law school in January and am really happy with my school choice. In the meantime I have been biding my time in a graduate program, I sent along two grades during my cycle and said I was on course to earn a grad certificate by the fall. But now I'm having some issues in my two courses this semester, I won't get into the details but I find myself not failing but not having 100% certainty I can get a B or higher. The school I am attending has said nothing about sending updated transcripts and as we all know grad school doesn't count towards LSDAS GPA so it doesn't affect my numbers any.

I just want to know if a bad grade (or even a mediocre grade) could get my acceptance rescinded? I'm willing to hang in there if not, but if there is a change I could get booted (even if slim) I am considering dropping at least one course, which would still give me a W but it would only be my second ever. I have till Monday night to decide. Just trying to gauge the risks vs rewards and you guys can help me do that, genuinely I've read rescinding is if you bomb your last semester in undergrad or get charged with a felony but hey...I'm paranoid.

Thanks for reading

josh43299

Bronze

Re: Graduate Transcript?

Post by josh43299 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:23 am

It sounds like you have nothing to worry about and no one wants to rescind your offer (lost your tuition dollars) for something that doesnt affect their medians. I would call the school and talk to them about your situation.

Law1L24

New

Post by Law1L24 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm considering talking to them but I don't want to cause them concern with me really. Do most schools make you send in updated transcripts?

My safety school makes you do that and specifically said so in my admissions timeline when I was accepted, the school I'm going to says nothing about it and really just indicates the deposit dates on my admissions timeline. I may ask them when I visit, I'd prefer to just bury the whole thing and not worry about it though since it's probably of no concern to them.

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Grad school grades don't factor into LSDAS gpa. Nothing to worry about period.

yhinferno

New

Post by yhinferno » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:16 am

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I have searched around for comments on grad transcript and get the gist of things. Nevertheless I wonder if these following concerns are legit:

Currently enrolled in humanities PhD at an Ivy (ranked #1 in the field). Will drop at end of semester (3 years in w/ 1.5 yrs off for med leave). Grad grades are pitiful (incompletes and some Bs), med leave related. Leaving program not for academic reasons, rather can't find joy in field nor grad life (not to mention frightening job prospects).
UPGA: 3.8+, will take LSAT in Oct 2012. Looking to T14. Will make sure LSAT is 170+
How will grad transcript look? Will I be docked (for having horrible grad transcript) even if UGPA + LSAT are great?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:27 am

yhinferno wrote:UPGA: 3.8+, will take LSAT in Oct 2012. Looking to T14. Will make sure LSAT is 170+
How will grad transcript look? Will I be docked (for having horrible grad transcript) even if UGPA + LSAT are great?
There have been other threads on this.

Most people who have dropped out of grad programs seem to underperform their numbers to some degree. Failure in one graduate program makes it look likely you will fail in another. That said, with a 3.8+ and 170+ you would certainly get into t14 programs.

You should write an addendum to explain your bad grades and why you are dropping out. A great addendum could make a big difference. You should make it clear the medical problems are behind you, and you need a much better reason for dropping out than what you stated here.

yhinferno

New

Post by yhinferno » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:43 pm

extenuating circumstances:
While on med leave sat in on grad logic course, started philosophy-theology reading group.
Also during grad school took phil courses inclined towards legal philosophy.
In general, (re)discovered that I'm more suited for conceptual/analytic thinking.
Preferably do constitutional law, public interest, or crim law (undergrad internships w/ district attorney and patent and immig law firms).
Has great relationship w/ adviser who will back me.

Any chance?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”