How do I crush his dreams?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RobotGardener
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:34 am

How do I crush his dreams?

Postby RobotGardener » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:10 am

I am a 1L at a T14. I have a friend that really wants to go to law school (probably more than I ever did) and took the LSAT twice now. He got a 151 the first time and a 154 the second time. Needless to say he only got into a local TTT and is looking at paying full tuition. He really wants to go and refuses to wait another year or take the lsat again. He has started asking me for advice about 0L prep and how to do well in law school. I want to gently tell him that he needs to abandon his dream of becoming a lawyer. I don't know how to tell him firmly (so he will listen to me) but still respect his feelings.

Am I better off saying nothing? Should I just help him get prepared for his TTTT? What do I do TLS?

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:14 am

Force him to spend 6 hours reading TTT or TTTT?! threads and provided commentary. Unless he is pathologically delusional he should start coming around.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby Tanicius » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:45 am

Not sure that's the greatest advice. The problem with TTT-trashing threads is that the target audience perceives it (and justly so) as a personal attack on their identity/ego.

User avatar
futurejdgirl
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby futurejdgirl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:52 am

Have him read those NYT articles and blogs - maybe he'll listen to a "professional" opinion or someone with authority more? Better yet, take him to the law school and have him talk to the graduates there, who are most likely jaded, angry, depressed, and jobless.

bmore
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby bmore » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:12 am

Just send him here or have him PM MTal.

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby StarLightSpectre » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:58 am

bmore wrote:Just send him here or have him PM MTal.



+1

Or have him read the "how I scored a 165/170+" threads. They motivated me to retake.

bmore
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby bmore » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:19 am

StarLightSpectre wrote:
bmore wrote:Just send him here or have him PM MTal.



+1

Or have him read the "how I scored a 165/170+" threads. They motivated me to retake.



That won't crush his dream :o

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby StarLightSpectre » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:26 am

bmore wrote:That won't crush his dream :o


True, but he may consider retaking one more time with adequate preparation instead of giving 150k+ to TTT_T.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby 20130312 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:48 am

Law School Transparency.

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby The Duck » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:59 am

You don't. He's presumably an adult. Tell him how important the LSAT is and how unlikely he is to get a job. If he still wants to go, let him.

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby t14fanboy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 am

The Duck wrote:You don't. He's presumably an adult. Tell him how important the LSAT is and how unlikely he is to get a job. If he still wants to go, let him.


+1

User avatar
PitchO20
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby PitchO20 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:32 am

Unfortunately, if you want to preserve your friendship, you really can't say anything. More likely than not it's just going to cause resentment.

RobotGardener
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:34 am

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby RobotGardener » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:36 am

PitchO20 wrote:Unfortunately, if you want to preserve your friendship, you really can't say anything. More likely than not it's just going to cause resentment.


This is what I have been thinking. As others have stated he is an adult and should make decisions for himself. However, he is a really nice guy and also has a baby on the way. This is the wrong move for him financially and he has delusions of making 160k from his TTT. I need to at least temper his expectations a little bit.

User avatar
DCDuck
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:27 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby DCDuck » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:50 am

Having him talk to current students at the school is a good suggestion.

hurldes
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby hurldes » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:53 am

You owe it to your friend (and his child) to warn him of the huge mistake he could make.

I was in a similar situation last year around this time... a buddy of mine was thinking of attending a TTTT local school. I knew it was a bad move, so I explained to him that the employment stats the school puts out are deceptive, and that few of that school's graduates actually find legal employment. Even though it sounds bad/elitist, it really is all about the rankings.

I also had a friend at this TTTT school who told me that the school fails the bottom 30% of the class after 1L year, and that of the entire 2L class, only one student had a summer associate position at a law firmed lined up. I passed this info along.

He eventually decided to retake the LSAT, but he never did discover how much valuable wisdom this site has to offer.

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby The Duck » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:55 am

hurldes wrote:You owe it to your friend (and his child) to warn him of the huge mistake he could make.

I was in a similar situation last year around this time... a buddy of mine was thinking of attending a TTTT local school. I knew it was a bad move, so I explained to him that the employment stats the school puts out are deceptive, and that few of that school's graduates actually find legal employment. Even though it sounds bad/elitist, it really is all about the rankings.

I also had a friend at this TTTT school who told me that the school fails the bottom 30% of the class after 1L year, and that of the entire 2L class, only one student had a summer associate position at a law firmed lined up. I passed this info along.

He eventually decided to retake the LSAT, but he never did discover how much valuable wisdom this site has to offer.


There is a difference between educating and lecturing though. At some point, you can only present the info and if he wants to go...that's his decision. You can't push too hard or too far or it won't be a problem because they won't even be friends anymore.

hurldes
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby hurldes » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:09 pm

The Duck wrote:
hurldes wrote:You owe it to your friend (and his child) to warn him of the huge mistake he could make.

I was in a similar situation last year around this time... a buddy of mine was thinking of attending a TTTT local school. I knew it was a bad move, so I explained to him that the employment stats the school puts out are deceptive, and that few of that school's graduates actually find legal employment. Even though it sounds bad/elitist, it really is all about the rankings.

I also had a friend at this TTTT school who told me that the school fails the bottom 30% of the class after 1L year, and that of the entire 2L class, only one student had a summer associate position at a law firmed lined up. I passed this info along.

He eventually decided to retake the LSAT, but he never did discover how much valuable wisdom this site has to offer.


There is a difference between educating and lecturing though. At some point, you can only present the info and if he wants to go...that's his decision. You can't push too hard or too far or it won't be a problem because they won't even be friends anymore.


I agree with you. It worked with my friend.. it may not work with his friend. But I think that if the OP really cares about his friend and genuinely wants to help him, he can be brazen without offending him. He just needs to do it tactfully/carefully.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby dkb17xzx » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:11 pm

http://cornellsun.com/section/opinion/c ... law-school

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/


I second the posters above about reading TLS forums. If you are concerned about how he might perceive the negative attacks and the trolls, you might want to sit down with him and read through the forums together (assuming you have time). Furthermore, there are also many " Accepted at T1 school w/ money vs retake" polls - you might wanna show him those as well and point out that despite acceptances at better schools, there are individuals who are retaking to try and get into better schools, with their assumption being that getting a decent job will be difficult from that particular school.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby T00L » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:12 pm

A hammer is a tool that is good at crushing. Unfortunately, hammers are not good at letting people down softly.

splbagel
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby splbagel » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:17 pm

One way to spin it nicely would be to flatter him -- "I know how smart you are. That LSAT score doesn't reflect your ability..."

RobotGardener
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:34 am

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby RobotGardener » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:39 pm

splbagel wrote:One way to spin it nicely would be to flatter him -- "I know how smart you are. That LSAT score doesn't reflect your ability..."

I like this. I am definitely working this into the conversation. His LSAT score is understandably a sensitive subject.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby Br3v » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:52 pm

You can't watch your friend run up a 200k tab then crash and burn in 3 yrs. Gotta handle It now

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:58 pm

With glee.

User avatar
GimmeRoom
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby GimmeRoom » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Heh one of my best friends is currently in a similar scenario (no child on the way though). He asked me for "advice" on what he should do and I put in 100% to make a convincing argument for why he shouldn't choose between TTT x and TTT y at ridiculous prices and should take another year to retake the LSAT and improve his cycle. 1.5 lifetilting hours later, he came out with "It is what it is, and I'm going to decide between the schools anyway. I'm not taking a year off because I just don't *get* the LSAT and don't want to waste a year. Besides, I'd be much better at law school exams anyway because they're not skill-based, but are based on concrete cases that I'd be better at studying for" or something like that. The "it is what it is" finally did it for me, if he refuses to acknowledge that he's still in control of his decision, then there's really no point in me convincing him otherwise. Hopefully he survives.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: How do I crush his dreams?

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:07 pm

You have to make a good faith effort to try using what people here suggested, but accept going in that he is unlikely to change his mind.

Also, if it wasn't already suggested, try sending him to employment and school threads on Abovethelaw.com




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Thomas Hagan, ESQ. and 5 guests