Timing Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jeff_lebowski

Timing Question

Postby jeff_lebowski » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:29 pm

I searched for this but couldn't find the specific answer I wanted, so I figured I might as well ask. If there is a thread for this, I'd appreciate a link (and mods can delete the thread after). Anyway, I am currently a junior. I have three semesters after the current semester to finish up. My school's academic calendar will allow those to be Summer 2012, Fall 2012, and Spring 2013 (i.e. graduating in the spring of 2013). I plan on enrolling in law school in the fall of 2013. I have to admit that the timeline of this kind of crept up on me. I haven't really done any LSAT prep other than one completely dry practice run (timed). The schools I am interested in are: Michigan, Penn, Virginia, Cornell, Georgetown, UT, UCLA, Minnesota, and as safeties BYU and Utah.

My question is this: should I take the June 2012 LSAT and risk not being as prepared as possible, or should I wait until October? My concern with October is that I definitely want to apply before all priority/early deadlines to every school I can. What sayeth the hivemind? Thanks in advance.

jeff_lebowski

Re: Timing Question

Postby jeff_lebowski » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:35 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I figure two birds may be killed here:

At the time I apply, I will likely have a 3.60 and I am expecting between a 168-171 on the LSAT. I've done LSN and predictor searches many times, but I wanted to get the feedback regarding the reality of that school list from actual people.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:40 pm

October should be fine, just have the rest of your app ready so you can apply right away. If you've done minimal prep it might be hard to reach your goal by June. What's your GPA? And take a diagnostic LSAT, who knows, you may get a 167 on your first try and not need much prep to get into the 170's.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:09 pm

You can definitely prep for June, depending on that initial score. Even if it's low, you still have plenty of time to prepare. I always prefer June because it's earlier (you can get your apps out right away) and it's in the afternoon (my brain doesn't work so well early in the morning).

As far as the schools go, it looks like a fine list, though wait until you have an LSAT score and ask again. It's a lot easier to say 168-171 than to earn it on test day (not that I think you can't do it).

fakehunter

Postby fakehunter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:34 pm

I have a 3.6x with a 169, and the only top 14 school I was able to get into was Michigan (was waitlisted at a few others). So those numbers aren't guarantees for many of the schools you listed, so my advice would be to give yourself as much time to study as possible. (For the record, I took the Oct LSAT and submitted all my apps by 11/5.)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”