Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
NomNom
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby NomNom » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:50 pm

I have been accepted to 1 out of 3 schools. I am still waiting on School A's answer (it has been 3 months and they are my top choice) and I have been accepted to school B. School C I haven't heard back from either.

I want to send a LOCI to School A since it has been a while and I haven't heard anything...and want to stress that I will attend there if accepted... but at the same time I am approaching deposit time for School B. I don't know if I will be able to attend School B because their total cost of attendance allowed is really low and I have had some financial issues. The only way I could attend School B is if I deferred a year. However, if I commit to deferring School B and then I get into School A, I assume that is really bad form to then attend School A this year.

Should I just send my LOCI to School A and keep waiting? I guess I can wait until it is time for round 2 of deposits for School B before I ask about deferring, but I may not have even heard from School A by then either if waitlisted.

None of this made sense, I am quite sure. :x

User avatar
Jaeger
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby Jaeger » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:59 pm

NomNom wrote:I have been accepted to 1 out of 3 schools. I am still waiting on School A's answer (it has been 3 months and they are my top choice) and I have been accepted to school B. School C I haven't heard back from either.

I want to send a LOCI to School A since it has been a while and I haven't heard anything...and want to stress that I will attend there if accepted... but at the same time I am approaching deposit time for School B. I don't know if I will be able to attend School B because their total cost of attendance allowed is really low and I have had some financial issues. The only way I could attend School B is if I deferred a year. However, if I commit to deferring School B and then I get into School A, I assume that is really bad form to then attend School A this year.

Should I just send my LOCI to School A and keep waiting? I guess I can wait until it is time for round 2 of deposits for School B before I ask about deferring, but I may not have even heard from School A by then either if waitlisted.

None of this made sense, I am quite sure. :x

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:08 pm

If I'm understanding you correctly, you can probably put a deposit down on School B then withdraw if you get into School A. I believe this happens fairly often when it comes to people being accepted off waitlists.

User avatar
NomNom
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby NomNom » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks Doorkeeper. Yes, you understood...you have RC skills that Jaeger apparently lacks. ;)

To dig a little deeper, would I be able to accept admission to A if I already agreed to defer B? I guess that is the heart of my question.

User avatar
Jaeger
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby Jaeger » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:18 pm

NomNom wrote:Thanks Doorkeeper. Yes, you understood...you have RC skills that Jaeger apparently lacks. ;)

To dig a little deeper, would I be able to accept admission to A if I already agreed to defer B? I guess that is the heart of my question.


Sorry, there were too many unanswered questions in your post. Such as why you only applied to three schools, why you're using student loans to pay debt, if you owe the mob money, what schools these are, why one school allows less COL allowance unless in different markets in which case that's adjusted and finally, why you have a 'tar of Uma Horseface.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:22 pm

NomNom wrote:Thanks Doorkeeper. Yes, you understood...you have RC skills that Jaeger apparently lacks. ;)

To dig a little deeper, would I be able to accept admission to A if I already agreed to defer B? I guess that is the heart of my question.



Wait to defer B, but if you do you can still call them and withdraw/tell them you won't matriculate. It is a slight dick move, but it is doable.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby MTal » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Law school leads to massive 6 figure non-dischargeable debt, and limited job prospects. Law schools up to and including Tier 1 are being sued all over the country for bilking their "students" out of hundreds of thousands. Some law school deans are on the verge of facing criminal prosecution for wire fraud due to manipulating their school's employment statistics. It's not worth it man.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:27 pm

MTal wrote:Law school leads to massive 6 figure non-dischargeable debt, and limited job prospects. Law schools up to and including Tier 1 are being sued all over the country for bilking their "students" out of hundreds of thousands. Some law school deans are on the verge of facing criminal prosecution for wire fraud due to manipulating their school's employment statistics. It's not worth it man.

wat

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby snehpets » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:28 pm

MTal wrote:Law school leads to massive 6 figure non-dischargeable debt, and limited job prospects. Law schools up to and including Tier 1 are being sued all over the country for bilking their "students" out of hundreds of thousands. Some law school deans are on the verge of facing criminal prosecution for wire fraud due to manipulating their school's employment statistics. It's not worth it man.


STFU

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby bruss » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Samara wrote:
MTal wrote:Law school leads to massive 6 figure non-dischargeable debt, and limited job prospects. Law schools up to and including Tier 1 are being sued all over the country for bilking their "students" out of hundreds of thousands. Some law school deans are on the verge of facing criminal prosecution for wire fraud due to manipulating their school's employment statistics. It's not worth it man.

wat

Lmfao wow

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:31 pm

Jaeger wrote:
NomNom wrote: why you have a 'tar of Uma Horseface.


Holy shit she does look like a horse.

User avatar
NomNom
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby NomNom » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:31 pm

spleenworship wrote:
NomNom wrote:Thanks Doorkeeper. Yes, you understood...you have RC skills that Jaeger apparently lacks. ;)

To dig a little deeper, would I be able to accept admission to A if I already agreed to defer B? I guess that is the heart of my question.



Wait to defer B, but if you do you can still call them and withdraw/tell them you won't matriculate. It is a slight dick move, but it is doable.

That's what I wanted to know. Good answer.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby MTal » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm

bruss wrote:
Samara wrote:
MTal wrote:Law school leads to massive 6 figure non-dischargeable debt, and limited job prospects. Law schools up to and including Tier 1 are being sued all over the country for bilking their "students" out of hundreds of thousands. Some law school deans are on the verge of facing criminal prosecution for wire fraud due to manipulating their school's employment statistics. It's not worth it man.

wat

Lmfao wow


"According to the National Law Journal article, two Emory Law School professors have even argued that law school deans have committed federal felonies."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/wlf/2012/03 ... n-lawyers/

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:40 pm

MTal wrote:
bruss wrote:
Samara wrote:
MTal wrote:Law school leads to massive 6 figure non-dischargeable debt, and limited job prospects. Law schools up to and including Tier 1 are being sued all over the country for bilking their "students" out of hundreds of thousands. Some law school deans are on the verge of facing criminal prosecution for wire fraud due to manipulating their school's employment statistics. It's not worth it man.

wat

Lmfao wow


"According to the National Law Journal article, two Emory Law School professors have even argued that law school deans have committed federal felonies."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/wlf/2012/03 ... n-lawyers/

That's a far cry from being "on the verge of prosecution."

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby MTal » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Samara wrote:
MTal wrote:"According to the National Law Journal article, two Emory Law School professors have even argued that law school deans have committed federal felonies."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/wlf/2012/03 ... n-lawyers/

That's a far cry from being "on the verge of prosecution."


Shit is coming to a head...3 years ago no one would have predicted that the current class actions would have made it as far as they have. The criminal justice system and public at large will tolerate the fleecing of an entire generation only for so long.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:11 pm

.
Last edited by spleenworship on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:12 pm

MTal wrote:
Samara wrote:
MTal wrote:"According to the National Law Journal article, two Emory Law School professors have even argued that law school deans have committed federal felonies."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/wlf/2012/03 ... n-lawyers/

That's a far cry from being "on the verge of prosecution."


Shit is coming to a head...3 years ago no one would have predicted that the current class actions would have made it as far as they have. The criminal justice system and public at large will tolerate the fleecing of an entire generation only for so long.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They don't care. We don't vote in large numbers.

User avatar
NomNom
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby NomNom » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:17 pm

MTal used to be fun, but he's such an obvious troll now that it isn't even worth it. He's like the Lindsay Lohan of TLS. Complete train wreck, but not even entertaining to watch anymore.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby JCFindley » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:20 pm

MTal wrote:
Samara wrote:
MTal wrote:"According to the National Law Journal article, two Emory Law School professors have even argued that law school deans have committed federal felonies."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/wlf/2012/03 ... n-lawyers/

That's a far cry from being "on the verge of prosecution."


Shit is coming to a head...3 years ago no one would have predicted that the current class actions would have made it as far as they have. The criminal justice system and public at large will tolerate the fleecing of an entire generation only for so long.


Innocent until proven guilty.... I think that's written somewhere....

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:20 pm

NomNom wrote:MTal used to be fun, but he's such an obvious troll now that it isn't even worth it. He's like the Lindsay Lohan of TLS. Complete train wreck, but not even entertaining to watch anymore.



I agreed with him twice in the last month on unrelated subjects.

It is kind of freaking me out.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:21 pm

spleenworship wrote:
NomNom wrote:MTal used to be fun, but he's such an obvious troll now that it isn't even worth it. He's like the Lindsay Lohan of TLS. Complete train wreck, but not even entertaining to watch anymore.



I agreed with him twice in the last month on unrelated subjects.

It is kind of freaking me out.

You're also into SBA?

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Samara wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
NomNom wrote:MTal used to be fun, but he's such an obvious troll now that it isn't even worth it. He's like the Lindsay Lohan of TLS. Complete train wreck, but not even entertaining to watch anymore.



I agreed with him twice in the last month on unrelated subjects.

It is kind of freaking me out.

You're also into SBA?


What is SBA? All I can think of is Student Bar Association..... :oops:

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:26 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Samara wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
NomNom wrote:MTal used to be fun, but he's such an obvious troll now that it isn't even worth it. He's like the Lindsay Lohan of TLS. Complete train wreck, but not even entertaining to watch anymore.



I agreed with him twice in the last month on unrelated subjects.

It is kind of freaking me out.

You're also into SBA?


What is SBA? All I can think of is Student Bar Association..... :oops:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=163724

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:32 pm


User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby goldenflash19 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:39 pm

OP, ask school B for an extension on the deposit deadline. Some schools grant these. If School A doesn't accept you before the extended deadline, you could ask School B for a deferral w/o having made a deposit. Good luck!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Kaziende, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests