Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NomNom

Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby NomNom » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:50 pm

I have been accepted to 1 out of 3 schools. I am still waiting on School A's answer (it has been 3 months and they are my top choice) and I have been accepted to school B. School C I haven't heard back from either.

I want to send a LOCI to School A since it has been a while and I haven't heard anything...and want to stress that I will attend there if accepted... but at the same time I am approaching deposit time for School B. I don't know if I will be able to attend School B because their total cost of attendance allowed is really low and I have had some financial issues. The only way I could attend School B is if I deferred a year. However, if I commit to deferring School B and then I get into School A, I assume that is really bad form to then attend School A this year.

Should I just send my LOCI to School A and keep waiting? I guess I can wait until it is time for round 2 of deposits for School B before I ask about deferring, but I may not have even heard from School A by then either if waitlisted.

None of this made sense, I am quite sure. :x

Jaeger

Re: Feel like I am in a catch-22...advice?

Postby Jaeger » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:59 pm

NomNom wrote:I have been accepted to 1 out of 3 schools. I am still waiting on School A's answer (it has been 3 months and they are my top choice) and I have been accepted to school B. School C I haven't heard back from either.

I want to send a LOCI to School A since it has been a while and I haven't heard anything...and want to stress that I will attend there if accepted... but at the same time I am approaching deposit time for School B. I don't know if I will be able to attend School B because their total cost of attendance allowed is really low and I have had some financial issues. The only way I could attend School B is if I deferred a year. However, if I commit to deferring School B and then I get into School A, I assume that is really bad form to then attend School A this year.

Should I just send my LOCI to School A and keep waiting? I guess I can wait until it is time for round 2 of deposits for School B before I ask about deferring, but I may not have even heard from School A by then either if waitlisted.

None of this made sense, I am quite sure. :x

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:08 pm

If I'm understanding you correctly, you can probably put a deposit down on School B then withdraw if you get into School A. I believe this happens fairly often when it comes to people being accepted off waitlists.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks Doorkeeper. Yes, you understood...you have RC skills that Jaeger apparently lacks. ;)

To dig a little deeper, would I be able to accept admission to A if I already agreed to defer B? I guess that is the heart of my question.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:18 pm

NomNom wrote:Thanks Doorkeeper. Yes, you understood...you have RC skills that Jaeger apparently lacks. ;)

To dig a little deeper, would I be able to accept admission to A if I already agreed to defer B? I guess that is the heart of my question.

Sorry, there were too many unanswered questions in your post. Such as why you only applied to three schools, why you're using student loans to pay debt, if you owe the mob money, what schools these are, why one school allows less COL allowance unless in different markets in which case that's adjusted and finally, why you have a 'tar of Uma Horseface.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:22 pm

NomNom wrote:Thanks Doorkeeper. Yes, you understood...you have RC skills that Jaeger apparently lacks. ;)

Wait to defer B, but if you do you can still call them and withdraw/tell them you won't matriculate. It is a slight dick move, but it is doable.

MTal

Postby MTal » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Law school leads to massive 6 figure non-dischargeable debt, and limited job prospects. Law schools up to and including Tier 1 are being sued all over the country for bilking their "students" out of hundreds of thousands. Some law school deans are on the verge of facing criminal prosecution for wire fraud due to manipulating their school's employment statistics. It's not worth it man.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:27 pm

MTal wrote:Law school leads to massive 6 figure non-dischargeable debt, and limited job prospects. Law schools up to and including Tier 1 are being sued all over the country for bilking their "students" out of hundreds of thousands. Some law school deans are on the verge of facing criminal prosecution for wire fraud due to manipulating their school's employment statistics. It's not worth it man.

wat

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:28 pm

MTal wrote:Law school leads to massive 6 figure non-dischargeable debt, and limited job prospects. Law schools up to and including Tier 1 are being sued all over the country for bilking their "students" out of hundreds of thousands. Some law school deans are on the verge of facing criminal prosecution for wire fraud due to manipulating their school's employment statistics. It's not worth it man.

STFU

bruss

Postby bruss » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Samara wrote:

wat

Lmfao wow

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:31 pm

Jaeger wrote:
NomNom wrote: why you have a 'tar of Uma Horseface.

Holy shit she does look like a horse.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:31 pm

spleenworship wrote:

Wait to defer B, but if you do you can still call them and withdraw/tell them you won't matriculate. It is a slight dick move, but it is doable.

That's what I wanted to know. Good answer.

MTal

Postby MTal » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm

bruss wrote:
Samara wrote:

wat

Lmfao wow

"According to the National Law Journal article, two Emory Law School professors have even argued that law school deans have committed federal felonies."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/wlf/2012/03 ... n-lawyers/

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:40 pm

MTal wrote:
bruss wrote:
Samara wrote:

wat

Lmfao wow

"According to the National Law Journal article, two Emory Law School professors have even argued that law school deans have committed federal felonies."

That's a far cry from being "on the verge of prosecution."

MTal

Postby MTal » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Samara wrote:
MTal wrote:"According to the National Law Journal article, two Emory Law School professors have even argued that law school deans have committed federal felonies."

Shit is coming to a head...3 years ago no one would have predicted that the current class actions would have made it as far as they have. The criminal justice system and public at large will tolerate the fleecing of an entire generation only for so long.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Last edited by spleenworship on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:12 pm

MTal wrote:
Samara wrote:
MTal wrote:"According to the National Law Journal article, two Emory Law School professors have even argued that law school deans have committed federal felonies."

Shit is coming to a head...3 years ago no one would have predicted that the current class actions would have made it as far as they have. The criminal justice system and public at large will tolerate the fleecing of an entire generation only for so long.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They don't care. We don't vote in large numbers.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:17 pm

MTal used to be fun, but he's such an obvious troll now that it isn't even worth it. He's like the Lindsay Lohan of TLS. Complete train wreck, but not even entertaining to watch anymore.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:20 pm

MTal wrote:
Samara wrote:

Innocent until proven guilty.... I think that's written somewhere....

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:20 pm

NomNom wrote:MTal used to be fun, but he's such an obvious troll now that it isn't even worth it. He's like the Lindsay Lohan of TLS. Complete train wreck, but not even entertaining to watch anymore.

I agreed with him twice in the last month on unrelated subjects.

It is kind of freaking me out.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:21 pm

spleenworship wrote:
NomNom wrote:MTal used to be fun, but he's such an obvious troll now that it isn't even worth it. He's like the Lindsay Lohan of TLS. Complete train wreck, but not even entertaining to watch anymore.

You're also into SBA?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Samara wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

You're also into SBA?

What is SBA? All I can think of is Student Bar Association..... :oops:

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:26 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Samara wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

You're also into SBA?

What is SBA? All I can think of is Student Bar Association..... :oops:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=163724

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:32 pm

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:39 pm

OP, ask school B for an extension on the deposit deadline. Some schools grant these. If School A doesn't accept you before the extended deadline, you could ask School B for a deferral w/o having made a deposit. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”