Need some advice!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which is the best option?

New England Law
No votes
Suffolk University
No votes
Whittier College of Law
5%
Re-apply next year
95%

Total votes: 19

VeggieDelite404

Need some advice!

Postby VeggieDelite404 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:09 am

Hi everyone! I've been reading some posts tonight, and need to get everyone's opinion on my current situation. Currently living in LA, applied to a bunch of schools but have only been accepted into three-New England Law, Suffolk, and Whittier (not too excited about the last). Scholarship from New England of 8k and Whittier of 17k. I've been wait-listed at Southwestern and am waiting to hear back from a majority of other schools. What's your opinion on accepting one of these schools (and which one?) vs. re-applying with hopefully a new LSAT score? Right now, my LSAT score is 155 and GPA is 3.6. I want to go into social justice, and would ideally prefer to stay in California, but am willing to make the move if needed. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

thelawschoolproject

Re: Need some advice!

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:12 am

OP, how much did you prepare for the LSAT? If you studied and retook do you think you could improve your score? Even five extra points would significantly alter the types of schools you could be looking at. Would there be any significant reason as to why you wouldn't want to retake?

Also, where else did you apply? I feel like you should have at least received acceptances at some more reputable regional schools.

ETA: This is, of course, assuming you aren't some gigantic troll.

VeggieDelite404

Postby VeggieDelite404 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:29 am

No troll..unless my height is taken into consideration. Haha. But honestly, I applied to a bunch of schools that were random because a lot of them had waived their application fee. I'm still waiting to hear back from Loyola, which is my number one, Chapman, University of SF, Golden Gate, New York Law, and Brooklyn. I just went and looked up my application status for all of these schools and as of yesterday, it is still pending. The wait is so frustrating! The others that I applied to are ones I won't go to.
I took a class for the LSAT, but honestly..it was extremely difficult studying and working full-time. I know that time was my biggest issue on all of the sections, especially reading comp. No reason for not wanting to re-take and re-apply. On the one hand, I'm anxious to start, but on the other, I know that if I wait, I can hopefully improve my score and gain more legal volunteer/work experience.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:21 am

I am a strong advocate of the retake option, mostly because without it I'd be at a TTTT with horrible job prospects. However, I realize that you have to do what's best for you and your individual situation. Working full-time and studying is a nightmare, but you just have to buckle down and stretch your studying over several months. Not that I'm the end all and be all of success stories, but if I can do it anyone can...I'm a horrible procrastinator and my first score was lower than your 155.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:41 am

OP when I studied I worked full time (even with OT) so I sympathize, but seriously, retake. That's a pretty good GPA; don't waste it like that. Work hard now, take the June LSAT, and apply September. I know it's rough to put it off for another year but if you can get that LSAT up, you won't regret it.

VeggieDelite404

Postby VeggieDelite404 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:11 pm

Thank you all for your advice! I'm definitely leaning towards re-taking. I'd rather try one more time and do better on the LSAT (I know if I put in a little more work, it should hopefully show). I just can't seem to be content with taking out a huge chunk of money in loans over these schools.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:12 am

VeggieDelite404 wrote:Thank you all for your advice! I'm definitely leaning towards re-taking. I'd rather try one more time and do better on the LSAT (I know if I put in a little more work, it should hopefully show). I just can't seem to be content with taking out a huge chunk of money in loans over these schools.

Duh.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:36 am

Yup. Classic retake situation.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”