Anyone know what the Selective Service System is? (SSS)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sunynp

Re: Anyone know what the Selective Service System is? (SSS)

Postby sunynp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:52 pm

FlanAl wrote:I'm from California and I'm pretty sure you don't need to register for SSS to vote. I know I registered at some point but I saw a thread like this a few years ago and freaked out. No clue when or why I registered and the fact that I completely forgot that I did makes me feel like OP's situation isn't that ridiculous. Honestly you'd think they'd just have that information and just call you up when they're having a draft, I mean if they can figure out who you are for not registering why do they need anything form your end?

I think you have to actively confirm that you are registering to be drafted into the armed forces. There is also a process to register as a conscientious objector. I don't think the government can simply assume that you are willing to register. Also, it is unlikely that even the government knows the name, address and birthdate of every male who is suppose to register. I think they track people by voter registration and driver's license and school information, not sure.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:10 pm

FlanAl wrote:I'm from California and I'm pretty sure you don't need to register for SSS to vote. I know I registered at some point but I saw a thread like this a few years ago and freaked out. No clue when or why I registered and the fact that I completely forgot that I did makes me feel like OP's situation isn't that ridiculous. Honestly you'd think they'd just have that information and just call you up when they're having a draft, I mean if they can figure out who you are for not registering why do they need anything form your end?

Because it is the government and there are probably good paying contracts for the registration process and there is no way they would give up that pork. The government is not always known for its logic.

What always got me was having to prove you registered for things involving veteran's benefits. Doesn't matter that I actually served 21 years in the military, sometimes I STILL have to prove I registered for the draft when I was 18.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Perhaps he could use this thread to show that he was unknowing.

Or perhaps he started it for that reason. :twisted:

sunynp wrote:Not sure if this helps:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5034214_waiver- ... ation.html

http://www.sss.gov/FSmen.htm

A non-registrant may not be denied any benefit if he can "show by a preponderance of evidence" that his failure to register was not knowing and willful. Offer as much evidence supporting your case, and as much detail, as possible.

At least you get a preponderance of the evidence test that you weren't willfully evading registration. I would put a little thought into how to best spin this.

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 pm

An Update:

After talking to the SSS rep, I will be getting a status letter to my house in 4 weeks+. This obv sucks as all my FAFSA + F.Aid files will go on hold at all my schools until this gets sorted out.

Since I was native born I won't get an exemption from the SSS, I only get the status letter which I then present to whatever school I decide to attend. It is then up to the school to decide whether or not they want to allow me to receive Federal funds. The SSS guy said some schools are strict, some aren't. In fact, some schools will refuse any aid to a student unless they can get an exemption (which I cannot). He also stated if a school decides to reject my claim I should just go to another school or try for private funding (I had a mild heart attack when he said that).

I talked to my top choice as of now and they said it should be fine as long as I bring them the official letter. It was fortunate that I lucked out with this particular school. However, I now have the added bonus of being locked out of a school even if I get admitted should they decide to reject my status claim and refuse me federal aid. Awesome!

Also, for all the trolls.... The SSS guy said there was nothing in my file. He said he can't legally comment on it, but after some more questions he basically alluded to that fact that it was very possible no mailings had been sent to me when I turned 18 or any birthday after that.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:40 pm

darkatillam2 wrote:An Update:

After talking to the SSS rep, I will be getting a status letter to my house in 4 weeks+. This obv sucks as all my FAFSA + F.Aid files will go on hold at all my schools until this gets sorted out.

Since I was native born I won't get an exemption from the SSS, I only get the status letter which I then present to whatever school I decide to attend. It is then up to the school to decide whether or not they want to allow me to receive Federal funds. The SSS guy said some schools are strict, some aren't. In fact, some schools will refuse any aid to a student unless they can get an exemption (which I cannot). He also stated if a school decides to reject my claim I should just go to another school or try for private funding (I had a mild heart attack when he said that).

I talked to my top choice as of now and they said it should be fine as long as I bring them the official letter. It was fortunate that I lucked out with this particular school. However, I now have the added bonus of being locked out of a school even if I get admitted should they decide to reject my status claim and refuse me federal aid. Awesome!

Also, for all the trolls.... The SSS guy said there was nothing in my file. He said he can't legally comment on it, but after some more questions he basically alluded to that fact that it was very possible no mailings had been sent to me when I turned 18 or any birthday after that.

Not a perfect outcome but not the end of the world either.

Good for you!

Hope everything works out.

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:47 pm

"I improve on misquotation" Cary Grant
Last edited by Lvaughn714 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:Is whole situation is blowing my mind. I never had any idea this even existed since technically we don't have a draft anymore, or technically I guess we do? I'm female so this doesn't apply to me but I still can't believe that this is legit and I have never heard of it or that OP is getting screwed despite the fact that there is nothing in his file to show that he actually ignored or willingly did not register...also the fact that SSS is only one letter away from the Natzi defense force seems a little too close for comfort.

We don't have a draft, but presumably, SSS would be the database if the draft were to be reinstated. That's my understanding at least.

Signing up is really easy and they already have your information in most cases anyway, so it's really not a big deal. Other than this silliness that OP is suffering right now.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:53 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:Is whole situation is blowing my mind. I never had any idea this even existed since technically we don't have a draft anymore, or technically I guess we do? I'm female so this doesn't apply to me but I still can't believe that this is legit and I have never heard of it or that OP is getting screwed despite the fact that there is nothing in his file to show that he actually ignored or willingly did not register...also the fact that SSS is only one letter away from the Natzi defense force seems a little too close for comfort.

Not sure why its such a big deal. Its just to make the whole process much easier if a draft ever was again instituted. My family comes from a country where military service is compulsory for all males, and its not seen as a huge deal or anything. They ask very little of us here in the US, don't make us join the military if we don't want to, etc. so just having a list set if they ever do need us doesn't seem like too huge a deal.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:55 pm

Comparing the SSS to Nazis is a bit extreme.

I think the people in Israel understand the ramifications of Nazi Germany quite well and they require ALL capable citizens to go in the military when they get out of primary school. That is men AND women. The SSS in this country and others have something to do with the Nazi regime no longer existing.....

JC

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:59 pm

JCFindley wrote:

Comparing the SSS to Nazis is a bit extreme.

I think the people in Israel understand the ramifications of Nazi Germany quite well and they require ALL capable citizens to go in the military when they get out of primary school. That is men AND women. The SSS in this country and others have something to do with the Nazi regime no longer existing.....

JC

+1

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks for the support guys!

And no, it def isn't the end of the world. It does mean I will be put at a disadvantage to receive funds from "programs with limited funds" (Ie - Perkins loans, Tuition credit Loan, Fed work study, or institutional scholarships), which really really sucks.

I am happy at least the school in question isn't strict. I guess the whole reason for this is that schools got audited in years past and were found to be rubber stamping past this SSS requirement. So now if they are caught again they face huge fines. I am crossing my fingers the last school I am waiting to hear from isn't strict and allows me with just a status letter.

And yes... this whole requirement blows my mind. It seems absolutely ridiculous to have this requirement on individuals. If it was so important they should include as part of a high school graduation requirement or something. There are 151 million men in the United States... It's more than likely not all of them are going to know about this and get overlooked when it comes time to mailing them a registration form!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Oh, good god. :roll:

You do realize that the letter S is isn't inherently evil, right?

Also, the SSS was instituted in 1917, before the early SS was formed in 1925 (and WELL before it really got powerful from 1929 on).

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:02 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Oh, good god.

YOu do realize that the letter S is isn't inherently evil, right?

Also, the SSS was instituted in 1917, well before the early SS was formed in 1925.

I went down to the harbor and saw lots of boats with "SS" before their names. Ran away because that obviously must have been the Nazi navy forces coming to attack... :)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:02 pm

kaiser wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Oh, good god.

Also, the SSS was instituted in 1917, well before the early SS was formed in 1925.

I went down to the harbor and saw lots of boats with "SS" before their names. Ran away because that obviously must have been the Nazi navy forces coming to attack... :)
HOLY SHIT UR SO RITE OMG HOW IS THE MEDIA NOT COVERING THIS??? :lol:

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Oh, good god. :roll:

You do realize that the letter S is isn't inherently evil, right?

Also, the SSS was instituted in 1917, before the early SS was formed in 1925 (and WELL before it really got powerful from 1929 on).

oh for fuck's sake. okay, I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt before, and think you're just a colossal idiot.

nope, not anymore. you're a massive idiot AND a troll.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Oh, good god.

HOLY SHIT UR SO RITE OMG HOW IS THE MEDIA NOT COVERING THIS??? :lol:

I know dude! Sound the alarms! SOS! Oh shit, my telegraph machine is Nazi also!!!
Last edited by kaiser on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paul34

Postby paul34 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:05 pm

kaiser wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Oh, good god.

I suppose I should have learned by now that any attempt at joking leads to verbal evisceration on TLS. You are all right the letter S isn't evil and this organization is obviously not as bad as the Natzis. Silly me.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:06 pm

paul34 wrote:You never filled out a FAFSA for undergrad? Yea, unfortunately, you have to sign up for SSS.

kaiser wrote:Not sure why its such a big deal. Its just to make the whole process much easier if a draft ever was again instituted. My family comes from a country where military service is compulsory for all males, and its not seen as a huge deal or anything. They ask very little of us here in the US, don't make us join the military if we don't want to, etc. so just having a list set if they ever do need us doesn't seem like too huge a deal.

It is a big deal because it is forced servitude. But, it is the situation, and until it gets changed, it is what it is, unfortunately. If you want benefits, you'll have to sign up. Also, it is a discriminatory system - males only.

See Rostker v. Goldberg. This practice was found to not be discriminatory

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:07 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Oh, good god.

I suppose I should have learned by now that any attempt at joking leads to verbal evisceration on TLS. You are all right the letter S isn't evil and this organization is obviously not as bad as the Natzis. Silly me.

The only reason we started joking wasn't really because of the letter S thing, as much as the implicit comparison between the system of selective service and anything having to do with the Nazis.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:09 pm

the bolded is not a smart statement

paul34

Postby paul34 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:09 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:09 pm

You know, after you get school sorted out, you might consider fighting this. I haven't done any research on it, so I am assuming the law is that the agency can accept you if they want. But what if you need a government job down the line? If they aren't willing to waive the requirement,you can't get a job.

Just deal with this financial aid and loan issue right now. But I think it could come up to bite you in the ass again.
Last edited by sunynp on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:10 pm

kaiser wrote:
The only reason we started joking wasn't really because of the letter S thing, as much as the implicit comparison between the system of selective service and anything having to do with the Nazis.

I completely understand. I really was just dicking around and didn't put that much thought into it. Obviously I don't see some burecrats in DC pushing paper as on par with Natzis.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Oh, good god.

Comparing the US military to the Nazi SS jokes have just never gone over that well....

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”