Anyone know what the Selective Service System is? (SSS) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spleenworship

Gold

Re: Anyone know what the Selective Service System is? (SSS)

Post by spleenworship » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:12 pm

sunynp wrote:You know, after you get school sorted out, you might consider fighting this. I haven't done any research on it, so I am assuming the law is that the agency can accept you if they want. But what if you need a government job down the line? If they aren't willing to waive the requirement,you can't get a job.

Just deal with this financial aid and loan issue right now. But I think it could come up to bite you in the ass again.

OP cannot get most federal jobs, and some state jobs, is my understanding.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:13 pm

paul34 wrote:
kaiser wrote: See Rostker v. Goldberg. This practice was found to not be discriminatory
I haven't read the case, but Wikipedia says (I don't know if the article is correct) that it wasn't found to be unconstitutional. Just because something may not disagree with the COTUS doesn't make it non-discriminatory. I can still follow the constitution and discriminate. In addition, SCOTUS cases aren't the end all, be all. In a legal context, perhaps, but they don't have a monopoly on thought.
I meant unconstitution. My bad. Obviously is discriminatory, but permissible and tolerable discrimination. Thanks for pointing that out.

And the theory behind that decision is still very much in play with regard to the assignment of women to combat roles (which they are largely not placed into, since the military usually deosn't send women to the front lines). Of course much of that has been undercut by the fact that the recent wars had no traditional front lines, so perhaps things will change as a result.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm guessing the policy behind this goes back to the days of the Vietnam war draft dodgers etc

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:18 pm

sunynp wrote:I'm guessing the policy behind this goes back to the days of the Vietnam war draft dodgers etc
Reading through the history, looks like registration became compulsory in 1971, so you are likely right.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Lvaughn714 wrote:Is whole situation is blowing my mind. I never had any idea this even existed since technically we don't have a draft anymore, or technically I guess we do? I'm female so this doesn't apply to me but I still can't believe that this is legit and I have never heard of it or that OP is getting screwed despite the fact that there is nothing in his file to show that he actually ignored or willingly did not register...also the fact that SSS is only one letter away from the Natzi defense force seems a little too close for comfort.
Oh, good god.

YOu do realize that the letter S is isn't inherently evil, right?

Also, the SSS was instituted in 1917, well before the early SS was formed in 1925.
I went down to the harbor and saw lots of boats with "SS" before their names. Ran away because that obviously must have been the Nazi navy forces coming to attack... :)
I suppose I should have learned by now that any attempt at joking leads to verbal evisceration on TLS. You are all right the letter S isn't evil and this organization is obviously not as bad as the Natzis. Silly me.
Please
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
There is no "t" in the word Nazi.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:27 pm

vpintz wrote:

Please
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
TY, it had to be said......

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:28 pm

JCFindley wrote:
vpintz wrote:

Please
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
TY, it had to be said......
I aim to please. Although that's still one of the least-stupid things about this thread.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Oh, I assumed spelling it wrong was a joke. Idk why but it all makes this come to mind (its at the very end of the clip):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev551qdZsdA

darkatillam2

Bronze

Post by darkatillam2 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:04 am

spleenworship wrote:
sunynp wrote:You know, after you get school sorted out, you might consider fighting this. I haven't done any research on it, so I am assuming the law is that the agency can accept you if they want. But what if you need a government job down the line? If they aren't willing to waive the requirement,you can't get a job.

Just deal with this financial aid and loan issue right now. But I think it could come up to bite you in the ass again.

Yes, this is partly true. I have to keep my status letter "like a birth certificate". I have to present it to whatever federal or state job I apply to and hope they overlook it as well. Def going to be harder for me to lock down clerkships and what not. Fucking awesome

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:56 am

darkatillam2 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Yes, this is partly true. I have to keep my status letter "like a birth certificate". I have to present it to whatever federal or state job I apply to and hope they overlook it as well. Def going to be harder for me to lock down clerkships and what not. Fucking awesome
I'm not sure they have the same discretion school's have. As someone who used to hire federal civilians for jobs...you're not ever getting one. Even if it is possible, the legwork this would require to figure out how to do it would be an absolute bar in practice. There are just too many great applicants without this hurdle. I can tell you for sure in our system, you'd automatically get thrown out upon submission by the system without human eyes ever seeing them simply because you have no number. Clerkships may be different but I doubt your story goes over too well.
Last edited by The Duck on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:09 am

:D
Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NomNom

Bronze

Post by NomNom » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:47 pm

Wow,what a crappy situation.

ralph_pootawn

Bronze

Post by ralph_pootawn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:11 pm

so if we have received financial aid before is it safe to assume we registered. I don't remember if I did or not lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:21 pm

ralph_pootawn wrote:so if we have received financial aid before is it safe to assume we registered. I don't remember if I did or not lol
I think you can look your number up on their site.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:20 pm

The Duck wrote:
ralph_pootawn wrote:so if we have received financial aid before is it safe to assume we registered. I don't remember if I did or not lol
I think you can look your number up on their site.

You can. Just had to do this for a job.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:48 pm

darkatillam2 wrote:Def going to be harder for me to lock down clerkships and what not. Fucking awesome
Don't worry, barely anyone actually registered for selective service can get federal clerkships anyway.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:53 pm

quiver wrote:
darkatillam2 wrote:Def going to be harder for me to lock down clerkships and what not. Fucking awesome
Don't worry, barely anyone actually registered for selective service can get federal clerkships anyway.
:lol: good point

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”