Anyone know what the Selective Service System is? (SSS)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
darkatillam2

Anyone know what the Selective Service System is? (SSS)

Postby darkatillam2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:01 pm

So I just got an email from the FAFSA under the : "WHAT YOU MUST DO NOW" thingy, saying that the SSS reported I haven't registered with them.

It goes on to read:

if you are not yet registered, are male, and are 18 through 25 years of age, to receive aid you must do one of the following: (1) answer "Male" to Item 21 and "Register Me" to Item 22 by clicking 'Make FAFSA Corrections' on the 'My FAFSA' page, (2) complete a Selective Service registration form at your local post office, or (3) register online at http://www.sss.gov.

But the thing is I'm over the age of 25 (I'm 26), so I don't think I have to right?

I went to the SSS website and it says that I may not qualify for government aid anymore because I'm past registration age? This shit is stressing me out... Any help would be great

Tadatsune

Re: Anyone know what the Selective Service System is? (SSS)

Postby Tadatsune » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:04 pm

You could try calling them.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Sounds like they think you never registered for the draft, and are somehow missing that you're now too old. (Did you ever register, when you turned 18?)

Definitely call SSS or FAFSA or both.

If you never registered when you were supposed to, you may have a problem.
Wikipedia wrote:As an alternative method of encouraging registration, federal legislators passed laws requiring that to receive financial aid, federal grants and loans, certain government benefits, eligibility for most federal employment, and (if the person is an immigrant) eligibility for citizenship, a young man had to be registered (or had to have been registered, if they are over 26 but were required to register between 18 and 26) with Selective Service. Those who were required to register, but failed to do so before they turn 26, are no longer allowed to register, and thus may be permanently barred from federal jobs and other benefits, unless they can show to the Selective Service that their failure was not knowing and willful.[6] There is a procedure to provide an "information letter" by the SSS for those in these situations, for example recent citizens who entered the US after their 26th birthday.[28]
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:08 pm

If you didn't register and are now too old, you're permanent ineligible for any federal job, including clerkships.

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Just got off the phone with a FAFSA person. They said I need to ask for an exemption from the SSS because I didn't register when I was supposed to. Assuming I can get one I'll have to call whatever school I decide to go to and present the exemption so they can override the red flag on my FAFSA file and pull it. This is VERY annoying because it'll mean all my financial aid docs will be on hold until I get this sorta out. So I will virtually get no offers for need-based aid because my file will be unavailable for a long period of time.

Anyone else in my situation should get this fixed right away.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:10 pm

darkatillam2 wrote:Just got off the phone with a FAFSA person. They said I need to ask for an exemption from the SSS because I didn't register when I was supposed to. Assuming I can get one I'll have to call whatever school I decide to go to and present the exemption so they can override the red flag on my FAFSA file and pull it. This is VERY annoying because it'll mean all my financial aid docs will be on hold until I get this sorta out. So I will virtually get no offers for need-based aid because my file will be unavailable for a long period of time.

Well, why the hell didn't you register? Didn't you have to register when you registered to vote?

Not much sympathy over here. :|

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:12 pm

I've voted in multiple elections and NO it wasn't required. I had 0 idea I even had to do this.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:36 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
darkatillam2 wrote:Just got off the phone with a FAFSA person. They said I need to ask for an exemption from the SSS because I didn't register when I was supposed to. Assuming I can get one I'll have to call whatever school I decide to go to and present the exemption so they can override the red flag on my FAFSA file and pull it. This is VERY annoying because it'll mean all my financial aid docs will be on hold until I get this sorta out. So I will virtually get no offers for need-based aid because my file will be unavailable for a long period of time.

Well, why the hell didn't you register? Didn't you have to register when you registered to vote?

Not much sympathy over here. :|

yeeeeah, once again I have no sympathy for OP. It's pretty much common knowledge that you have to register for Selective Service. In some states, they have the SSS registration form ATTACHED to yr voter's registration form. infinite face palms.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:37 pm

darkatillam2 wrote:I've voted in multiple elections and NO it wasn't required. I had 0 idea I even had to do this.

Not only is this common knowledge, most high schools tell people this. I'm pretty sure I also got something in the mail when I turned 18 from SSS. I had to register and I was already in the military when I turned 18.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:38 pm

The Duck wrote:
darkatillam2 wrote:I've voted in multiple elections and NO it wasn't required. I had 0 idea I even had to do this.

Not only is this common knowledge, most high schools tell people this. I'm pretty sure I also got something in the mail when I turned 18 from SSS. I had to register and I was already in the military when I turned 18.

Exactly. I honestly feel like people have to /try/ to not register. It's not like SSS is kept a secret!

in2win

Postby in2win » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:43 pm

correct me if im wrong, but don't they tell you that it is a serious crime to not register for the selective service? i'm pretty sure thats what scared me into checking and double checking that i filled that part out right

Oli

Postby Oli » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 pm

The dumbest part is they sent me the card to register, and all I had to do was put my name and address. They mailed it to my house with my name and address. Why the fuck do we have to do that? They already know who we are.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:56 pm

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:01 pm

t14fanboy wrote:Image

perfect.

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:01 pm

lol, I just got off the phone with my parents and neither had any idea about this. It's really baffling to me that this is common knowledge.

I don't have any brothers, I didn't do work-study or use any federal aid in my UG and was self employed for a number of years after graduation. I also started college a little bit younger than the average in that I wasn't 18 until after the winter quarter started (UCs in CA are under quarter system), I have voted before and this wasn't part of the registration info.

This just sorta happened, I didn't purposely do this.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:02 pm

Alright guys, let's take it easy on this guy. Mistakes happen.

draft dodger

Gail

Postby Gail » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:04 pm

My high school never told anyone about this. I've never heard of people being given this slip to vote. It sounds like your parents were wealthy enough so that you didn't need to take out federal loans, OP. If they didn't know and no one told you. I don't know how you could have been expected to know.

Then again, reading what you've posted. You should have just sent the thing in. But you were probably just being a normal kid and forgot. Shame on you for living carefree, like normal young people should. Shame. Shame. Shame.

But really. I do feel sorry for you, OP. I hope it works out. Maybe they're really lenient. I'm not sure you can get loans without it.

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Gail wrote:My high school never told anyone about this. I've never heard of people being given this slip to vote. It sounds like your parents were wealthy enough so that you didn't need to take out federal loans, OP. If they didn't know and no one told you. I don't know how you could have been expected to know.

Then again, reading what you've posted. You should have just sent the thing in. But you were probably just being a normal kid and forgot. Shame on you for living carefree, like normal young people should. Shame. Shame. Shame.

But really. I do feel sorry for you, OP. I hope it works out. Maybe they're really lenient. I'm not sure you can get loans without it.

Thanks at least for some kind words.

Unfortunately, my family's financial shape isn't good. They were able to save enough for my college (and two sisters, but this issue doesn't apply to them because they are female), but after a land slide we had to use all of our money to save our house. My dad is 80 now and can't work, so they are just getting by really.

Crossing my fingers that this gets cleared up.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Not to be a downer, but this is not an easy problem to fix. I know people who have had immigration issues from not registering, even though they were not citizens of the US at the time they were supposed to register. Maybe they will be easier on someone who was a citizen?
It is possible that since you seem to be an older student, there was less of an effort made to reach out to people in High School. I don't know though, if they mailed you the card and you ignored it, I think you have a problem.

I hope this works out OK for you OP. Please let us know what happens,

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:21 pm

darkatillam2 wrote:
Gail wrote:My high school never told anyone about this. I've never heard of people being given this slip to vote. It sounds like your parents were wealthy enough so that you didn't need to take out federal loans, OP. If they didn't know and no one told you. I don't know how you could have been expected to know.

Unfortunately, my family's financial shape isn't good. They were able to save enough for my college (and two sisters, but this issue doesn't apply to them because they are female), but after a land slide we had to use all of our money to save our house. My dad is 80 now and can't work, so they are just getting by really.

Your father should have had to register for selective service, even being that old. It's been around a really long time.

It sounds like you may be able to get it sorted out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took a while. Taking a year off to work may end up being your best option.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:23 pm

darkatillam2 wrote:

Stuff happens....

Frankly, I can understand being 17 and oblivious unless it came up. I remember sending in the card they sent me but if it got lost in the mail or maybe thrown out accidentally as junk mail it is certainly within reason that a kid might not know....

Do what you can to fix it and press on.....

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:31 pm

sunynp wrote: It is possible that since you seem to be an older student, there was less of an effort made to reach out to people in High School.

In my 30s. They made it very clear to me I had to register in High School.

chem

Postby chem » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:32 pm

21 now for me. They sent me a card every month until I sent one back.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:33 pm

Not sure if this helps:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5034214_waiver- ... ation.html

http://www.sss.gov/FSmen.htm

MEN CANNOT REGISTER AFTER REACHING AGE 26

Printer Friendly Version
According to law, a man must register with Selective Service within 30 days of his 18th birthday. Selective Service will accept late registrations but not after a man has reached age 26.

Some men may have failed to register during the time they were eligible to do so and may now find they are ineligible for certain benefits.

See What happens if I don't register?

WHAT CAN YOU DO IF YOU DID NOT REGISTER AND ARE NOW 26 OR OLDER?
If you have passed your 26th birthday and are now being denied eligibility for Federal student financial aid, Federal job training, or Federal employment, or are having difficulty obtaining U.S. citizenship because you failed to register, you have the following recourse available to you: Explain to the official handling your case (for example, a student financial aid officer) the reasons for your failure to register with Selective Service. A non-registrant may not be denied any benefit if he can "show by a preponderance of evidence" that his failure to register was not knowing and willful. Offer as much evidence supporting your case, and as much detail, as possible.

At least you get a preponderance of the evidence test that you weren't willfully evading registration. I would put a little thought into how to best spin this.

http://www.sss.gov/PDFs/PrinterFriendly/status.pdf

I'm sure you've seen all this already, but I thought I would add it to the thread.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:43 pm

I'm from California and I'm pretty sure you don't need to register for SSS to vote. I know I registered at some point but I saw a thread like this a few years ago and freaked out. No clue when or why I registered and the fact that I completely forgot that I did makes me feel like OP's situation isn't that ridiculous. Honestly you'd think they'd just have that information and just call you up when they're having a draft, I mean if they can figure out who you are for not registering why do they need anything form your end?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”