Engineering to law

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jmjm

Engineering to law

Postby jmjm » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:50 pm

How difficult would it be for me to gain admission to the topmost law (jd) programs?

Stats: UG gpa: 3.2/4 (top 30% of the class) MS gpa: 3.5, gmat 730, International
(I took gmat with little prep and got 730. I think with prep I can get 175 or more in lsat but have not taken it yet so hard to say).
Last edited by jmjm on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Re: Engineering to law

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:04 pm

You write that your undergrad degree is from an "international program" - is that a foreign university? If so, your GPA doesn't count. Instead, your transcript will be given one of four evaluations - "superior," "above average," "average," and "below average." Given your age and graduate education, your undergraduate degree evaluation wouldn't count for much at all.

nutella3000

Postby nutella3000 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:07 pm

You might want to look into Northwestern. Northwestern is considered a go-to school for people with work experience. Try to aim high with lsats and apply ED to Northwestern and see what happens.

eng2law

Postby eng2law » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Last edited by eng2law on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:42 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:You write that your undergrad degree is from an "international program" - is that a foreign university? If so, your GPA doesn't count. Instead, your transcript will be given one of four evaluations - "superior," "above average," "average," and "below average." Given your age and graduate education, your undergraduate degree evaluation wouldn't count for much at all.

Last edited by jmjm on Sun May 26, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 pm

jmjm wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:You write that your undergrad degree is from an "international program" - is that a foreign university? If so, your GPA doesn't count. Instead, your transcript will be given one of four evaluations - "superior," "above average," "average," and "below average." Given your age and graduate education, your undergraduate degree evaluation wouldn't count for much at all.

Undergrad degree is from the topmost engineering program in india (there is no class rank or latin honors awarded but my gpa was in the the upper 1/3 of class).

Then this is all going to come down to your LSAT. You say you think you can earn a 175 - go make that happen.

Also, as a complete aside, if you don't end up at a top program, you'll be better off than most. People with engineering degrees (and especially those with work experience) won't have any trouble getting a job as a patent attorney. It's a high-demand and constant-demand field.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Sun May 06, 2012 3:15 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Also, as a complete aside, if you don't end up at a top program, you'll be better off than most. People with engineering degrees (and especially those with work experience) won't have any trouble getting a job as a patent attorney. It's a high-demand and constant-demand field.

Thanks!
eng2law: I sent you a pm and email address

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”