Should I Transfer Undergraduate Schools? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PDaddy

Gold

Re: Should I Transfer Undergraduate Schools?

Post by PDaddy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:07 am

bruss wrote:
Journalism? Really?
Depends on the school, but yes...absolutely. You can get an entry-level journalism job right out of UG, so it is considered to be a vocational major. For most of us, it wouldn't have the cache of accounting as prep for business/corporate law or engineering (good prep for IP law), but it does allow one to get real-world experience at doing something worthwhile, and the law schools like journalists because they do so much writing.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:00 pm

PDaddy wrote:
bruss wrote:
Journalism? Really?
Depends on the school, but yes...absolutely. You can get an entry-level journalism job right out of UG, so it is considered to be a vocational major. For most of us, it wouldn't have the cache of accounting as prep for business/corporate law or engineering (good prep for IP law), but it does allow one to get real-world experience at doing something worthwhile, and the law schools like journalists because they do so much writing.
It's not really in depth writing though.

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Go to Michigan. There are so many "easy" ways to get good grades there. I was in a professional school UG program there, graded on a curve. Would have had like a 2.8 if it wasn't for the fact that there are many classes that if you are reasonably intelligent, you can get straight up A+'s in (huge psych courses, intro AOSS courses, sociology, etc). Also, if you decide you are interested in Engineering, Business, Math, hard sciences, Michigan is one of the best schools in the country for each of these.

Aside from law schools and grades, the friends I made there were some of the most interesting people I will ever meet. Going to law school made me realize that the people I met in ann arbor were really one of a kind. Smart, interesting, hard-working, hard-playing, and come from every corner of the planet. Some of my best friends were afghani refugees and others were sons of derivative traders, no where could I imagine getting exposed to so many different types of people and perspectives. You will not regret your decision at all if you go to Ann Arbor. Also, I am assuming you are in-state, to pay 43K a year for UG is not worth it unless you are going to be in their business school or engineering school (at UM).

It is your decision to make, but Ann Arbor is amazing and Michigan alumni love other Michigan alums which will help immensely for networking throughout your career (Anyone who says this isnt true is an idiot). While it isnt the harvard, princeton or yale for employment, it is considered to be the creme de la creme of pubic schools in this country (with berkely, uva, ucla, unc of course). Also, blimpy burger is the shit and should be a factor in your decision.

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:32 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:blimpy burger is the shit and should be a factor in your decision.
+1

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:16 pm

Will you have a UM-Dearborn degree or a UM degree?
Obviously the advice here about wherever gets you a better GPA is credited, but in terms of selling yourself in job interviews and personal pride, I would think it would be slightly relevant to be able to claim you are a University of Michigan grad. If you can do that out of Dearborn stay there without a doubt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”