Student Government and Softs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Student Government and Softs?

Postby Kimikho » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:02 pm

...
Last edited by Kimikho on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Student Government and Softs?

Postby ph14 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:03 pm

scoobers wrote:After snooping around here for quite some time I've come to the conclusion that none of you participate in student government. I do.
Is being President of the student body of one of the largest universities in the country a good soft? What about being President of the Residence Hall Association? I feel like the answer should be "yes," but I haven't come across anyone else saying that so I figured I'd ask.

I am just a sophomore but I figured it is better to ask now then to look back later and realize I screwed up. Most people's GPAs dip when they take these positions (some pretty seriously), and I'm starting to get images in my head of writing an addendum along the lines of "sorry for the 3.2, was too busy leading 50,000 students to awesomeness."

P.S. As a sophomore, I am neither of those positions listed. I am currently running for President of the Res Hall Association though.


Definitely not worth the GPA drop. If you are dead set on law school, I'd only do it if you are certain you won't take a GPA hit. 3.3 with no Presidency is going to outperform a 3.2 with the Presidency in their law school app cycle.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Student Government and Softs?

Postby gaud » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Those are great softs to have, but keep in mind that they won't overcome poor numbers.

Keep your GPA high and destroy the LSAT.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Student Government and Softs?

Postby cinephile » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:09 pm

scoobers wrote:After snooping around here for quite some time I've come to the conclusion that none of you participate in student government. I do.
Is being President of the student body of one of the largest universities in the country a good soft? What about being President of the Residence Hall Association? I feel like the answer should be "yes," but I haven't come across anyone else saying that so I figured I'd ask.

I am just a sophomore but I figured it is better to ask now then to look back later and realize I screwed up. Most people's GPAs dip when they take these positions (some pretty seriously), and I'm starting to get images in my head of writing an addendum along the lines of "sorry for the 3.2, was too busy leading 50,000 students to awesomeness."

P.S. As a sophomore, I am neither of those positions listed. I am currently running for President of the Res Hall Association though.


Compared to someone else coming in straight out of undergrad, sure. But a lot of people have had meaningful work experience, graduate degrees, fellowships, and so forth, so in comparison, no these softs are less impressive. You shouldn't worry about soft factors for getting into law school, because it won't matter. You should worry about soft factors that might make you more likely to get a job out of law school.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Student Government and Softs?

Postby Kimikho » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:14 pm

...
Last edited by Kimikho on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stargazin
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:20 pm

Re: Student Government and Softs?

Postby stargazin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:29 pm

Is being President of the student body of one of the largest universities in the country a good soft?


???

User avatar
lovejopd
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Student Government and Softs?

Postby lovejopd » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:38 am

What about Student Judicial Board~?

Napt
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:43 am

Re: Student Government and Softs?

Postby Napt » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:49 am

It's a decent soft but nothing impressive. 1 point better on your LSAT or .01 better on your GPA would help you out more than being Pres of the student body.

flightcontrol
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: Student Government and Softs?

Postby flightcontrol » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:48 am

Napt wrote:It's a decent soft but nothing impressive. 1 point better on your LSAT or .01 better on your GPA would help you out more than being Pres of the student body.


This is not necessarily true. A friend was heavily involved in student government at HY and got a rec letter from the university president. She subsequently got into the university's law school with a very low GPA. If you want to go to law school at your university, or can get otherwise earn the respect of someone in a position to call in a favor, it may be worth doing even if you take a GPA hit.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Student Government and Softs?

Postby ph14 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:25 pm

flightcontrol wrote:
Napt wrote:It's a decent soft but nothing impressive. 1 point better on your LSAT or .01 better on your GPA would help you out more than being Pres of the student body.


This is not necessarily true. A friend was heavily involved in student government at HY and got a rec letter from the university president. She subsequently got into the university's law school with a very low GPA. If you want to go to law school at your university, or can get otherwise earn the respect of someone in a position to call in a favor, it may be worth doing even if you take a GPA hit.


Definitely the exception and not the rule. Don't try and copy this, the odds are against you.

That is a way different situation as well, seeing at the UG and law school are the same...and the UG is H or Y lol. Odds are the OP is not talking about HYSP for schools he is trying to become president of.

flightcontrol
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: Student Government and Softs?

Postby flightcontrol » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:56 pm

ph14 wrote:
flightcontrol wrote:
Napt wrote:It's a decent soft but nothing impressive. 1 point better on your LSAT or .01 better on your GPA would help you out more than being Pres of the student body.


This is not necessarily true. A friend was heavily involved in student government at HY and got a rec letter from the university president. She subsequently got into the university's law school with a very low GPA. If you want to go to law school at your university, or can get otherwise earn the respect of someone in a position to call in a favor, it may be worth doing even if you take a GPA hit.


Definitely the exception and not the rule. Don't try and copy this, the odds are against you.

That is a way different situation as well, seeing at the UG and law school are the same...and the UG is H or Y lol. Odds are the OP is not talking about HYSP for schools he is trying to become president of.


Totally agree. Just wanted to point out that the kind of relationships you build in student government can play a role outside of the GPA/LSAT box, though you are absolutely right that a significant boost is unlikely.

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: Student Government and Softs?

Postby apollo2015 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Also, one can cultivate that type of relationship with influential administrators/faculty without needing to undertake a GPA-crushing activity.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Student Government and Softs?

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:04 pm

flightcontrol wrote:
Napt wrote:It's a decent soft but nothing impressive. 1 point better on your LSAT or .01 better on your GPA would help you out more than being Pres of the student body.


This is not necessarily true. A friend was heavily involved in student government at HY and got a rec letter from the university president. She subsequently got into the university's law school with a very low GPA. If you want to go to law school at your university, or can get otherwise earn the respect of someone in a position to call in a favor, it may be worth doing even if you take a GPA hit.


It's something of a rather large gamble though. I don't think any of the top law schools are attached to the largest university in the nation, though I admit I don't really know how large UC-Berk, UMich, UVa, and UCLA are.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger and 7 guests