Not going to UVA Law

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CanadianWolf

Re: Not going to UVA Law

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Dartmouth MBA with a full tuition scholarship is the easy, and correct, answer here.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Dartmouth MBA with a full tuition scholarship is the easy, and correct, answer here.

No it isn't.

Law school =/= Business school.

Completely different things. B-school is much more about networking and grades come in second to experience. If you don't have very good work experience, my suggestion would be to not go to business school. Not only are you wasting everyone else's time, you're wasting your own.

B-school is no more the ticket to riches than law school. Too many people go expecting that. More than law school. Without knowing the OP's situation (UG, WE, family, math and social skills) it isn't a no brainer.

Of course. We can assume that the guy has all of these if he gets a full ride. I'd just like to make sure before I say "easy call"

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:20 pm

Truf.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Yes it is. If OP was better suited for law, then he would have better options.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:41 am

UVA law is a really good option.

moose

Postby moose » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:35 am

Gail wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Dartmouth MBA with a full tuition scholarship is the easy, and correct, answer here.

No it isn't.

Law school =/= Business school.

Completely different things. B-school is much more about networking and grades come in second to experience. If you don't have very good work experience, my suggestion would be to not go to business school. Not only are you wasting everyone else's time, you're wasting your own.

B-school is no more the ticket to riches than law school. Too many people go expecting that. More than law school. Without knowing the OP's situation (UG, WE, family, math and social skills) it isn't a no brainer.

Of course. We can assume that the guy has all of these if he gets a full ride. I'd just like to make sure before I say "easy call"

Fyi,..I actually do have 4.5 years work experience in finance,....so i'm a seasoned professional. And the B-School application is geared toward the applicant clearly articulating long and short term goals as well as explaining how that particular school can meet those goals (you basically have to write 3-5 high quality essays for each school). So you do have to strongly demonstrate a focused career plan before even being allowed to attend. Not having work experience and not knowing what you want to do will get you automatically dinged from any B-school let alone Tuck.

Also, B-school isn't necessarily a ticket to riches,...but elite schools like Tuck definitely provide career opportunities that would be off limits to most everyone else. If not a ticket to riches,..it certainly is a ticket to a good job.

The best part,...don't have to stress over grades as they're basically meaningless at b-school.

moose

Postby moose » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:42 am

Gail wrote:UVA law is a really good option.

Honestly,...i fell in love with UVA when i visited for ASW. It was amazing,...but ultimately i just couldn't stomach taking on $200K just for the chance at a miserable biglaw job. If it weren't so damn expensive. I still have $30k left in debt from undergrad that i've been paying for 6 years. Once bitten twice shy.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:24 am

moose wrote:haha,...man I miss this forum. Used to be a regular 2 years ago.

200 posts does not a regular make.

But seriously, congrats and good luck. Sounds like a great alternative to law school.

Gail

Postby Gail » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:53 am

moose wrote:
Gail wrote:UVA law is a really good option.

Honestly,...i fell in love with UVA when i visited for ASW. It was amazing,...but ultimately i just couldn't stomach taking on $200K just for the chance at a miserable biglaw job. If it weren't so damn expensive. I still have $30k left in debt from undergrad that i've been paying for 6 years. Once bitten twice shy.

I can definitely understand that. I hope you get an awesome consulting gig and make tons of money afterwards! Truly :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”