Is this an Award or Loan

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
swishin and dishin

Is this an Award or Loan

Postby swishin and dishin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Hey all,

I received a "student aid award letter" today in the mail congratulating me on being awarded a "direct unsub stafford - law." To my knowledge, this is only a loan, so I am curious and really confused as to why the LS wrote "award" all over the piece of paper.

The amount given matches the information I know about Stafford loans, so was this just a LS trying to make me believe that I have somehow been "awarded" a loan?

Thanks

No13baby

Re: Is this an Award or Loan

Postby No13baby » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:15 pm

It's a loan which is counted as part of your total financial aid "award."

pjo

Postby pjo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:15 pm

swishin and dishin wrote:Hey all,

I received a "student aid award letter" today in the mail congratulating me on being awarded a "direct unsub stafford - law." To my knowledge, this is only a loan, so I am curious and really confused as to why the LS wrote "award" all over the piece of paper.

The amount given matches the information I know about Stafford loans, so was this just a LS trying to make me believe that I have somehow been "awarded" a loan?

Thanks

Your intuition is correct (or so it sounds like; I really can't be 100% sure unless I saw the letter). But I would say this is just your fed loan amount and the school trying to sound like it's an award.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Ha, this Law School shit is really turning into a joke. It's very funny and sad.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:02 pm

swishin and dishin wrote:Hey all,

Thanks

So ungrateful. Don't you know that they have to put a lot of work into loan-sharking you money for an overpriced education in a dying industry?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”