What can I do to have better "Softs"?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jrsbaseball5

What can I do to have better "Softs"?

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:47 pm

Ok, so I am a junior currently and will graduate December 2013 and plan on attending law school Fall 2014. As such, I have 2 summers left before the application process starts and I want some advice on what I can do to improve my softs. I know that LSAT and G.P.A are by far the most important, but I am looking for softs that will at least put me on the same level as other applicants so that I am not docked for my lack of anything extracurricular. Again, I realize that the very strong softs such winning a Pulitzer prize, being an Army war vet, or something exceptional along those lines does not happen quickly, but I am looking for some additional things that will not make my application look completely bare compared to other t14 applicants and that I can do over the next 18 months. Thanks!

noggo10

Re: What can I do to have better "Softs"?

Postby noggo10 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:57 pm

I would say get some internships and get involved in a few activities on campus. Other than that not much you can do. My best advice is, depending on where in the T-14 you are waiting for maybe work for a year or two. This could make a big difference at Y, S, or H if you apply.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Ok, thanks! I will probably apply to all three of those schools. By work experience does that mean having a job in general? I currently am an academic tutor and I have worked on a couple research projects which I got paid for. Are those the type of work experiences that they are looking for?

noggo10

Postby noggo10 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:05 pm

I mean like take a year or two off and work in the real world if possible and I'm saying this as someone who is going straight through from undergrad. From what I've seen, if you have great numbers (think 3.9+, 173+ maybe 174+) you have a pretty good chance at Harvard but Stanford and Yale seem to definitely want really unique people. I know it's easier said than done to just "go and find a job." But there are many options: you could teach for a few years, try to work at a nonprofit if that's your thing, etc.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:38 pm

work for a bit. probably mmore than 1 year will be necessary. so 2 - 3

basketball law guy

Postby basketball law guy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:12 pm

I have a similar question. I posted in another thread but will repeat my background:
Completing my third year of undergrad at a midwestern college and I play basketball (on scholarship). My basketball season runs September -last week. My other softs would be different volunteer activities (youth camps, nursing homes, elementary school volunteer reader, etc.). Taking LSAT in October so I will have the summer to study and prepare. Current GPA is 3.98. If I am looking to get into a T25 school, assuming I get a decent LSAT score, is this enough for my application? Thanks

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:17 pm

basketball law guy wrote:I have a similar question. I posted in another thread but will repeat my background:
Completing my third year of undergrad at a midwestern college and I play basketball (on scholarship). My basketball season runs September -last week. My other softs would be different volunteer activities (youth camps, nursing homes, elementary school volunteer reader, etc.). Taking LSAT in October so I will have the summer to study and prepare. Current GPA is 3.98. If I am looking to get into a T25 school, assuming I get a decent LSAT score, is this enough for my application? Thanks

You have an awesome GPA, just kill the LSAT and score at least in the high 160's and you're golden. Don't worry about your softs.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
basketball law guy wrote:I have a similar question. I posted in another thread but will repeat my background:

You have an awesome GPA, just kill the LSAT and score at least in the high 160's and you're golden. Don't worry about your softs.

My G.PA. is right there with basketball law guy though i don't have a basketball scholly. I am shooting for around a 172 on my LSAT. Assuming I am around those numbers and considering I'm a URM i feel like T14 isn't out of the question. That being said don't some softs matter? I know your percentages of getting accepted go way up, but there are still people who get rejected and I wonder why? Feel like I need at least a few average softs to not knock me out of the competition. Thoughts?

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:33 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:

My G.PA. is right there with basketball law guy though i don't have a basketball scholly. I am shooting for around a 172 on my LSAT. Assuming I am around those numbers and considering I'm a URM i feel like T14 isn't out of the question. That being said don't some softs matter? I know your percentages of getting accepted go way up, but there are still people who get rejected and I wonder why? Feel like I need at least a few average softs to not knock me out of the competition. Thoughts?

Are you AA? With a 165+ you are probably HYS secure. Either way, just focus on killing the LSAT and you should be golden. Softs won't hurt you but your time is better spent studying for the test.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:34 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:My G.PA. is right there.. I am shooting for around a 172 on my LSAT... considering I'm a URM

Get that and enjoy choosing between YHS

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
jrsbaseball5 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:

Are you AA? With a 165+ you are probably HYS secure. Either way, just focus on killing the LSAT and you should be golden. Softs won't hurt you but your time is better spent studying for the test.

Thanks everyone for the help, its much appreciated. To answer your question I am Mexican American. I heard that its not as big of a boost as AA, so I'll have to do score a little higher than 165 I would assume.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:58 pm

Scattered volunteer work is good, but I get the feeling that a regular volunteer gig looks better. Shows consistency and commitment, that sort of thing. Doesn't have to be a huge time suck, but a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly gig at a library or museum or something that you keep up for a year+ is a decent little soft.

pret

Postby pret » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:40 pm

Get a Fulbright Scholarship :D

I got VERY good internships last minute and am waitlisted at schools LSP said I stood NO chance at.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:43 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:Ok, so I am a junior currently and will graduate December 2013 and plan on attending law school Fall 2014. As such, I have 2 summers left before the application process starts and I want some advice on what I can do to improve my softs. I know that LSAT and G.P.A are by far the most important, but I am looking for softs that will at least put me on the same level as other applicants so that I am not docked for my lack of anything extracurricular. Again, I realize that the very strong softs such winning a Pulitzer prize, being an Army war vet, or something exceptional along those lines does not happen quickly, but I am looking for some additional things that will not make my application look completely bare compared to other t14 applicants and that I can do over the next 18 months. Thanks!

contribute to your community

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:25 pm

pret wrote:Get a Fulbright Scholarship :D

I got VERY good internships last minute and am waitlisted at schools LSP said I stood NO chance at.

+1 to this. I was weak consider at nearly every school I've gotten into on LSP (Penn, UVA, Georgetown) and I'm positive I got in because of my softs.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:34 pm

justicefishy wrote:
pret wrote:Get a Fulbright Scholarship :D

+1 to this. I was weak consider at nearly every school I've gotten into on LSP (Penn, UVA, Georgetown) and I'm positive I got in because of my softs.

LSP is just generally not reliable for splitters so I don't think you can make any conclusions about your softs. Your LSAT is good enough for those schools so if they want to protect that median and sacrifice a little GPA then they'd be willing to take you.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Not sure summer gigs will put you ahead. Consider working for 2-4 years to be able to credibly claim that you have WE.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:53 am

Redamon1 wrote:Not sure summer gigs will put you ahead. Consider working for 2-4 years to be able to credibly claim that you have WE.

How big is work experience to schools like Yale, Harvard, and Stanford? Is there a preference for experience rather than straight numbers?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”