US News 2013 International Law Rankings

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: US News 2013 International Law Rankings

Postby shintopig » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Thanks everyone for the usual TLS jargon; helpful as always. You guys are simply awesome forum trolls.

And what's with people thinking I'm promoting Case or something? Its just a surprise to me, never heard of Case as being in that category.

Answer the question or stay off.
Last edited by shintopig on Wed May 02, 2012 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby abacus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:42 pm

Last edited by abacus on Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm a Case student. Anyone who would choose Case over a significantly higher-ranked school based on its international law ranking alone is experiencing severe myopia. Is it worth being considered? I guess so, for a certain subset of people: people who want to learn about international law and cannot get into relevant T1 schools, or really want to take scholarships in the T2.

There's no reason to believe you can go into law school - any law school - with little/no relevant experience and come out with a guaranteed job in international law. AFAIK it's a tiny, high-profile field - it suits its purpose as a marketing tool and engine for generating novel/obscure scholarship very well. Is there any substance to the marketing? With regard to Case...Sort of? Are there people working in public international law with recent Case degrees? Yes, but only a few I know of. Case is an Ohio law school with a national law school model and pricetag. I'm not unhappy with my experience here, but if I'd gotten into a T14, I never would have come here. I-law ambitions shouldn't really change that.

The best way to actually get into I-law jobs would be to intern before law school, build relevant connections, and then get into the best possible school you can, and then leverage your connection and the school's prestige and its own connections to turn it into a JD position. It's not impossible. But I imagine it's a hell of a lot easier to do at GTown/Stanford/NYU. Specialty rankings should only be taken into account in comparing peer schools. So if you were deciding between Cincinnati and Case, alright, whatever. But for me, it was Money/Ranking ratio first, Location second, and a combination of faculty connections/class offerings a distant third. I assume/hope most people are deciding on similar grounds.

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:34 pm

Love to know what the TL;DR was on this one.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”