(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
barrotmartin

Re: Withdraw is going to kill me

Postby barrotmartin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:17 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:Ok, all jokes aside.
I missed a withdrawal date once and wrote a letter of appeal.
It worked. Do it.

Did you appeal to your school or lsac?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:29 pm

SYoshi11 wrote:polkij333 -- I guess that's a possibility. Though, I'd probably fail anyway since I haven't taken the first exam (which, I think, is 30-ish% of your grade). And, if I do take the class, it'll count against my college gpa as well (the withdraw doesn't hurt my college gpa, only my lsac one).

Isn't a D better than a WF?

Wouldn't a C only lower you to like a 3.7something?

Seriously, have you talked to the dean, the registrar, and the professor? Is there seriously no way out of this? Because I had a similar issue once and by talking to the highest up people I could, I was able to make it mostly go away (WF to a WP).

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:49 pm

barrotmartin wrote:
It worked. Do it.

school.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
barrotmartin wrote:
It worked. Do it.

school.

+1 here

Postby 20130312 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Keep in mind that Tommy Callahan needed a D+ to graduate from college so you're in good company.

A TOMMY BOY REFERENCE?! :lol:

SYoshi11

Postby SYoshi11 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Last edited by SYoshi11 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:38 pm

It won't be counted if it is non punitive.

Postby 2014 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:39 pm

You could have easily gone to the professor, explained your situation and busted your ass for a C. Completely and totally worth it to salvage .15 GPa points and keep you in contention for Yale.

Make better decisions in the future.

E- If it's non punitive you lucked out.
Last edited by 2014 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:39 pm

SYoshi11 wrote:I talked to three deans today, and this was their response: I will have to withdraw from the class, there is a small (10%) chance the W will not show up on my transcript, since I have literally never attended the class and had no intent of doing so. They also mentioned that it is a non-punitive W. They called someone at LSAC, and the LSAC person said it would not be factored into my gpa calculation.

So, now, I'm confused as to what is and is not true. I'm hoping, since the lsac guy said so, that it won't be counted.

You should be keeping names and remember to verify your transcripts when you see it completed on LSAC's website before sending them out during your cycle.

Grats, you're not screwed.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:44 pm

SYoshi11 wrote:I talked to three deans today, and this was their response: I will have to withdraw from the class, there is a small (10%) chance the W will not show up on my transcript, since I have literally never attended the class and had no intent of doing so. They also mentioned that it is a non-punitive W. They called someone at LSAC, and the LSAC person said it would not be factored into my gpa calculation.

So, now, I'm confused as to what is and is not true. I'm hoping, since the lsac guy said so, that it won't be counted.

what anxiety disorders have you been diagnosed to have?

SYoshi11

Postby SYoshi11 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:45 pm

My pre-law dean called someone who ran the transcript processing at the lsac, and that is what he said their policy was for W's at my school (she told him which school I went to). I am hoping everything is settled and things will work out OK. For sure, it is a non-punitive W (at least according to the three deans I spoke to).

Postby 20130312 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:47 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:

It's okay. She's just a future law student.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:49 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

It's not in the DSM IV but it will be in the DSM V.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:51 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

touche,
I bet she has some agoraphobia splashed with generalized anxiety disorder and probably at least one panic attack a month.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

touche,
I bet she has some agoraphobia splashed with generalized anxiety disorder and probably at least one panic attack a month.

I watched a classmate have a panic attack in class one day. My recommendation for law school is to get some good anti-anxiety meds BEFORE 1L year. Halfway through first semester is not the time to figure out you can't handle your altered brain chemistry alone.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:10 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

touche,

This was oddly specific.

OP: If you never intended on taking the class, why did you register for it? (honest question...at my UG I've registered for classes I knew I wouldn't take, but only so I had a placeholder during my UG's admittedly fucked up registration process.) also, chill the fuck out. HTH.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:46 pm

spleenworship wrote:My recommendation for law school is to get some good anti-anxiety meds BEFORE 1L year. Halfway through first semester is not the time to figure out you can't handle your altered brain chemistry alone.

Image?

SYoshi11

Postby SYoshi11 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:46 pm

I needed to take a class in a given major...didn't realize that I could take another one that I found far more interesting.

MTal

Postby MTal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:57 pm

The fact that something as arbitrary as missing a withdrawal deadline has "wrecked your life" should clue you in on how stupid and pointless law school is.

Postby 071816 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:58 pm

MTal wrote:The fact that something as arbitrary as missing a withdrawal deadline has "wrecked your life" should clue you in on how stupid and pointless law school is.

this argument is airtight

SYoshi11

Postby SYoshi11 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Last edited by SYoshi11 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:07 pm

splitbrain wrote:
spleenworship wrote:My recommendation for law school is to get some good anti-anxiety meds BEFORE 1L year. Halfway through first semester is not the time to figure out you can't handle your altered brain chemistry alone.

Image?

Had my local chair of the board of bar examiners tell us that they hadn't had someone in such a program apply yet, but that he strongly recommended against it, since you would still be violating a federal law. Xanex is legal though, if prescribed.

cubbiesyear

Postby cubbiesyear » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:08 pm

It does suck, but at least she's less likely to get pregnant. And it won't kill you.

SYoshi11

Postby SYoshi11 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Last edited by SYoshi11 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:16 pm

why don't you give them a call, numbnuts.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”