(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nulli Secundus

Re: Withdraw is going to kill me

Postby Nulli Secundus » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:21 pm

SYoshi11 wrote:^ Exactly what I'm scared about. I am hoping and praying that LSAC omits it from the GPA calculation.

Still just force a C, 3.8 is good enough with a 179 for pretty much anywhere I'd think.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:34 pm

snehpets wrote:TBF, as a k-jd even with a 179 a 3.69 could definitely shut him out of Harvard. I agree he needs to chill out and it'll probably be non-punitive, but it's obviously not ideal.

Unless the admissions standards have loosened since my cycle, 179/3.69 has a good chance of rejection at Harvard.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:48 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
snehpets wrote:TBF, as a k-jd even with a 179 a 3.69 could definitely shut him out of Harvard. I agree he needs to chill out and it'll probably be non-punitive, but it's obviously not ideal.

Unless the admissions standards have loosened since my cycle, 179/3.69 has a good chance of rejection at Harvard.

Right. Exactly what Snehpets said.

I'm not sure that going for the C is the right answer here, because I don't know how you can make a case that you meant to withdraw from the class while also doing all of the work required over the second half of it. I think you just need to get someone in the admin on your side and make sure this shows as a non-punitive withdrawal.

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:59 pm

If the chancellor of your university is a lawyer then set up a meeting with him. I had a similar experience with my housing plan my freshman year and when I found out that they stonewalled me and wouldn't help me out anymore I flipped the script started at the top and had everything resolved in 36 hours. Be nice, but talk about how you are running into difficulties, your numbers right now make you competitive at Harvard, etc. Most schools are hurting for cash now and the future isn't looking any brighter so any chance they can get good publicity by having a famous alum or sending students to some of the best graduate schools in America is much needed when it comes before budget committees. Plus a good chancellor could see the benefits of helping you out now could have if you do become rich and donate back to the school.

SYoshi11

Postby SYoshi11 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Last edited by SYoshi11 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:19 am

SYoshi11 wrote:madvillian: "So here's how my cycle went so far: Rejected at Yale, held at H, no reply from Stanford yet (assumed rejection), held at Columbia, WL at Chicago, $$ at NYU, held by Michigan, WL'd by Penn, rejected by Berkeley, $$$ at UVA. "

I'm sorry. That really sucks, wow. I can't believe I just threw away my chances at going to a t-6 school because of one mistake.

Blatant Anti-NYU trolling.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:46 am

SYoshi11 wrote:Here is the story:

I signed up for a class in the beginning of the semester and a week later went to my course enroll to drop it. Then, after the drop deadline, I find out it has not been dropped. I've never attended the class, never bought a book, and don't even know what the Professor looks like...because I thought the class had been dropped. My school is making me take a withdrawl, and it will show credit attempted on my transcript, meaning LSAC will count it as an F. This drops my GPA from a 3.91, to a 3.69.

My lsat is 179.

What just happened to my life?

Appeal it in writing with the professor in question, then the department. If that doesn't work, appeal to the ombudsman. If it's worth it to you, there are education attorneys who will go to the U.S. Department of Education on your behalf, but I do not think that's necessary.

You've been a very good student, so if you fight hard enough, chances are good that you will get what you want. One other factor may be your record of appealing grades. There are people who never appeal, so that when they finally need to appeal a grade, it is more easily granted. Then there are people who appeal grades every term (GPA "maintenance" they call it). A student like that gets no love, especially as a senior.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:48 am

PDaddy wrote:
Appeal it in writing with the professor in question, then the department. If that doesn't work, appeal to the ombudsman. If it's worth it to you, there are education attorneys who will go to the U.S. Department of Education on your behalf, but I do not think that's necessary.

You've been a very good student, so if you fight hard enough, chances are good that you will get what you want. One other factor may be your record of appealing grades. There are people who never appeal, so that when they finally need to appeal a grade, it is more easily granted. Then there are people who appeal grades every term (GPA "maintenance" they call it). A student like that gets no love, especially as a senior.

SYoshi11 wrote:
All is well.

:wink:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”