C Now or C Then

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
findmethepage

C Now or C Then

Postby findmethepage » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Would it be better to receive a C in your first year or in te Spring Quarter of my Senior year, assuming I want to attend a T14 Law School? It's calculus, and I am very certain this is the grade I would receive.

Cheers.

rinkrat19

Re: C Now or C Then

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:56 pm

They both count the same in your cumulative GPA, so it doesn't matter.

Go get some tutoring and don't get a C.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:58 pm

If it's before you apply then it doesn't matter. If it could be after you apply then it might help

Also: you're a freshmen. Stop worrying about something that is 4 years away.

findmethepage

Postby findmethepage » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:59 pm

But if I got it in the final quarter of my senior year, wouldn't that be after admissions decisions have been made? While it would hurt my GPA, it wouldn't hurt my admissions chances as long as it isn't bad enough for a rescind, right?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:08 pm

findmethepage wrote:But if I got it in the final quarter of my senior year, wouldn't that be after admissions decisions have been made? While it would hurt my GPA, it wouldn't hurt my admissions chances as long as it isn't bad enough for a rescind, right?

Yeah.

But you ought to be choosing easy classes senior yr. Coupled with the fact that UG is easy, even extreme laziness should keep you above the C range.

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Yeah.. why would you take calculus your senior year? People usually either take that early as a pre-req to more math classes, or they don't take it at all... is it required to graduate?

findmethepage

Postby findmethepage » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:43 pm

hurldes wrote:Yeah.. why would you take calculus your senior year? People usually either take that early as a pre-req to more math classes, or they don't take it at all... is it required to graduate?

Kinda - I actually took a quarter of it in the Fall and landed a C. If you don't take the second part of the sequence you have to take more math (which would suck up time and possibly GPA), so I decided it'd probably be better to push back another low grade like that until after Law admissions. Without the C weighing me down, I'd have like a 3.33 going at a T5 UG, so I think waiting to take it is the right call at this point.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:05 am

findmethepage wrote: Without the C weighing me down, I'd have like a 3.33 going at a T5 UG

You need to step it up dude

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:18 am

At some point down the road, you will be kicking yourself with cleats on that you got a C on top of a 3.33. Go take lots and lots and lots of easy A (or ideally A+) community college classes. If you don't step it up now, law school admissions is going to a beach. And probably in Malibu.

findmethepage

Postby findmethepage » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am

twentypercentmore wrote:At some point down the road, you will be kicking yourself with cleats on that you got a C on top of a 3.33. Go take lots and lots and lots of easy A (or ideally A+) community college classes. If you don't step it up now, law school admissions is going to a beach. And probably in Malibu.

Even considering I'm at a T5 ug? What should I be at for a T14? I think I'll be able to hit 3.5?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:37 am

Isn't a 3.33 at a T5 undergrad like bottom 10% with all their good competition/ grade inflation?

findmethepage

Postby findmethepage » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:51 am

Tom Joad wrote:Isn't a 3.33 at a T5 undergrad like bottom 10% with all their good competition/ grade inflation?

I don't know if this is true of first year at U of C, but I think culmatively, it's a little higher (but not that inflated) I know I'll have to start my upward trend immediately though (ie Spring Quarter), to maybe 3.5-3.7 tange if I want to be really competitive at a T14, right?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:55 am

Why are you shooting for anything less than a 4.0?

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:31 pm

findmethepage wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:At some point down the road, you will be kicking yourself with cleats on that you got a C on top of a 3.33. Go take lots and lots and lots of easy A (or ideally A+) community college classes. If you don't step it up now, law school admissions is going to a beach. And probably in Malibu.

Even considering I'm at a T5 ug? What should I be at for a T14? I think I'll be able to hit 3.5?

The GPA matters ever so much more than the prestige of undergrad. You're significantly better off with a 4.0 from Podunk College than a 3.4 from Stanford.

To put it this way, figure that someone is paying you roughly 70k-100k to go from a 3.4 to a 3.85. Would you do it now?

Jhuen_the_bird

Postby Jhuen_the_bird » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 pm

findmethepage wrote:Would it be better to receive a C in your first year or in te Spring Quarter of my Senior year, assuming I want to attend a T14 Law School? It's calculus, and I am very certain this is the grade I would receive.

Cheers.

If you're planning on going to law school, why the hell are you planning on taking calculus at all? Take college algebra or something else super easy and get an A.

findmethepage

Postby findmethepage » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:30 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
findmethepage wrote:

The GPA matters ever so much more than the prestige of undergrad. You're significantly better off with a 4.0 from Podunk College than a 3.4 from Stanford.

To put it this way, figure that someone is paying you roughly 70k-100k to go from a 3.4 to a 3.85. Would you do it now?

You mean because that'd be the difference in starting salary? I think I get the point though - I plan on getting my shit together in the Spring quarter, I think it can make a difference since I'm only in my first year. I'm really just glad that I started to figure this out now rather than later - I think I had a hard time conceptualizing aw School Admissions until now.

I just hope it's not too late.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”