Delaying Graduation to Take CC Summer Classes

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gandalf

Delaying Graduation to Take CC Summer Classes

Postby gandalf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:05 pm

I have a 3.4 gpa currently. This figure could go to 3.5 if I take local community college classes during the summer.

Is it worth delaying graduation to take cc summer classes to boost the gpa? Also, consider that cc credits are generally much cheaper than credits at my current institution.

splitbrain

Re: Delaying Graduation to Take CC Summer Classes

Postby splitbrain » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:09 pm

gandalf wrote:I have a 3.4 gpa currently. This figure could go to 3.5 if I take local community college classes during the summer.

Is it worth delaying graduation to take cc summer classes to boost the gpa? Also, consider that cc credits are generally much cheaper than credits at my current institution.

Depends on the risk of the teacher saying "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" at the end of the summer.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:10 pm

gandalf wrote:I have a 3.4 gpa currently. This figure could go to 3.5 if I take local community college classes during the summer.

Would you graduate at the end of the summer? 3.4 to 3.5 isn't a huge improvement but it could be worth it if you don't have much else going on.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:20 pm

ph14 wrote:

Would you graduate at the end of the summer? 3.4 to 3.5 isn't a huge improvement but it could be worth it if you don't have much else going on.

+1 Getting up to 3.5 might give you a shot at T6 if you smash the LSAT, but otherwise will likely not impact your cycle. If the classes are cheap and you'll graduate at the end of the summer, it's probably better for your app than most internships.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:22 pm

Would recommend this course of action to myself two years ago.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:22 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Would recommend this course of action to myself two years ago.

LOL +1

gandalf

Postby gandalf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:24 pm

splitbrain wrote:Depends on the risk of the teacher saying "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" at the end of the summer.

Guess I should have seen that one coming.

ph14 wrote:Would you graduate at the end of the summer? 3.4 to 3.5 isn't a huge improvement but it could be worth it if you don't have much else going on.

Yea, I probably could graduate at the end of the summer. The reason my graduation is being delayed is because of a language proficiency issue. I decided to withdraw from my Chinese class instead of suffer the B- or likely C that I would get. But because of that, I need to find another language to satisfy the requirement. So I figure I can take Spanish during the summer, fulfill my language requirement, and take other classes too so that I can boost the gpa.

Also, I will be taking a year off after my graduation, so this probably wouldn't be a problem time-wise.

Samara wrote:+1 Getting up to 3.5 might give you a shot at T6 if you smash the LSAT, but otherwise will likely not impact your cycle. If the classes are cheap and you'll graduate at the end of the summer, it's probably better for your app than most internships.

That matches my intuition as well. Good to know!

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Would recommend this course of action to myself two years ago.

LOL +1

:D

Postby 727813 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:22 pm

I participated in a LSAT Admissions forum with U Richmond, UPenn, and UNC-Chapel Hill last fall. This question was brought up about taking community classes over summer break. One of the Admissions officials said that if it is done in an obvious manner (i.e. cramming in miscellaneous courses soon before graduating) then it looks suspicious. If the classes pertain to the major, are clear replacements of required courses, or appear to have some level of difficulty, then it may not be so frowned upon. If you had taken community college courses every summer, then it would appear to be normal for you. But to pile on random classes during an extra semester directly prior to graduating looks bad on your part. They stated that they would assume that there would be an addendum explaining your change in educational pace. If not, they will assume that you did it to pad your GPA. So be wary. Choose classes wisely and be prepared to explain why you did it.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:26 pm

Do it. Look at lawschoolnumbers.com for Duke Law School. Duke appears to have a 3.5 GPA cut-off.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:30 pm

my UG didn't allow this. are most cool with it?

bruss

Postby bruss » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:37 pm

splitbrain wrote:

Depends on the risk of the teacher saying "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" at the end of the summer.

gandalf

Postby gandalf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:58 pm

727813 wrote:I participated in a LSAT Admissions forum with U Richmond, UPenn, and UNC-Chapel Hill last fall. This question was brought up about taking community classes over summer break. One of the Admissions officials said that if it is done in an obvious manner (i.e. cramming in miscellaneous courses soon before graduating) then it looks suspicious. If the classes pertain to the major, are clear replacements of required courses, or appear to have some level of difficulty, then it may not be so frowned upon. If you had taken community college courses every summer, then it would appear to be normal for you. But to pile on random classes during an extra semester directly prior to graduating looks bad on your part. They stated that they would assume that there would be an addendum explaining your change in educational pace. If not, they will assume that you did it to pad your GPA. So be wary. Choose classes wisely and be prepared to explain why you did it.

Well, I have taken summer classes at my own institution for the past two years. Those classes were mostly 100-level (because that's all they offered). But I was under the impression that schools did not seriously look at the difficulty of classes...

Also, I've been taking maximum credit hours since sophomore year to boost a really bad freshman year. I was hoping I'd get a boost for having a double-major to show "some level of difficulty." But I have also read that majors mean nothing to adcomms..

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:01 pm

Many believe that law schools don't really care about why you took the courses, just the resulting grades. Do it if you are confident that it will raise your GPA.

P.S. An acceptable explanation would be that you did it to raise your GPA to be more competitive for law school admissions. Otherwise, law schools would discriminate against applicants who took LSAT prep couses.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”