U San Diego at sticker is generally not a good idea

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MellowMantis

U San Diego at sticker is generally not a good idea

Postby MellowMantis » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am

In a recent discussion with my sister I held the opinion that attending San Diego at sticker would be a less than desirable situation as the 40k sticker and high cost of living with a smaller market is probably a recipe for long term debt. She disagreed. Please post here if you agree with my sentiment or even of you disagree.

Doorkeeper

Re: U San Diego at sticker is generally not a good idea

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:24 am

I agree.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:29 am

Top 10% my class and can't even get an interview! When you do go to an interview they say that they aren't hiring from this school. Bit of a pyramid scheme.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:26 am

jarofsoup wrote:Top 10% my class and can't even get an interview! When you do go to an interview they say that they aren't hiring from this school. Bit of a pyramid scheme.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is atypical at USD. The couple of people I know at USD (two are top third, law review, and one is top 10%) are also struggling to find jobs.

Beautiful school though...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:53 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MellowMantis

Postby MellowMantis » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:Is your sister hot? Because she sounds easy to dupe, and I like that in a girl.

She actually is a paraplegic leper with elepfantitus and ebola.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:20 pm

MellowMantis wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Is your sister hot? Because she sounds easy to dupe, and I like that in a girl.

She actually is a paraplegic leper with elepfantitus and ebola.

Your enthusiasm suggests...she is hot.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:25 pm

Would rather be a paraplegic leper than go to USD at sticker.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:Would rather be a paraplegic leper than go to USD at sticker.

lol. /thread

MellowMantis

Postby MellowMantis » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:40 pm

Kabuo wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Would rather be a paraplegic leper than go to USD at sticker.

lol. /thread

+1

sporkdevil

Postby sporkdevil » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:23 am

Very correct.

Don't attend USD, but at the very least, they seem to be at the beach frequently, even in the winter months.

Top 10%ers aren't jobless at just USD, but a number of top 50 and top 20 schools. Lets not pretend US News will guarantee six figure employment.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:42 am

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:47 am

sporkdevil wrote:

Very correct.

Don't attend USD, but at the very least, they seem to be at the beach frequently, even in the winter months.

Top 10%ers aren't jobless at just USD, but a number of top 50 and top 20 schools. Lets not pretend US News will guarantee six figure employment.

Six figure. How about any employment? Seems fair to say. Most folks I know are compliance associates for financial institutions.

cloudhidden

Postby cloudhidden » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:11 am

sporkdevil wrote:

Very correct.

Top 10% at top 20 schools, unemployed... Really? I find this to be rediculous hyperbole that might only apply to a handful of people.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Well then tell her to retake and get scholly money if that's where she wants to go.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:40 pm

In other news: water is wet.

MellowMantis

Postby MellowMantis » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:47 pm

splitbrain wrote:In other news: water is wet.

This is the kind of response I was looking for so as to have one concise thread to prove my case. And it is not her interested in going but a friend who would likely not take it at sticker anyway or be in the position to have to choose to do so. I guess that summarizes the uselessness of this thread; the affirmation of a facile argument with little, if any, personal relevance. End.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:50 pm

MellowMantis wrote:
splitbrain wrote:In other news: water is wet.

This is the kind of response I was looking for so as to have one concise thread to prove my case. And it is not her interested in going but a friend who would likely not take it at sticker anyway or be in the position to have to choose to do so. I guess that summarizes the uselessness of this thread; the affirmation of a facile argument with little, if any, personal relevance. End.

Didn't Romo establish this when he said he would rather be a paraplegic leper.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:01 pm

OP: I have a friend whom I went to high school with that attends USD and while applying I sat down with her to chat about her application process, her law school experience thus far and, of course, USD specifically.

To sum up a lengthy conversation:

The school is great. The staff is supportive and the professors are very involved and intimate with the students. She went to a UC and honestly couldn't believe how close and responsive the staff was, constantly checking up on her, making her feel welcome etc. This is the general consensus I get from all the people I spoke with at USD. They all loved the school, the campus, the staff and the student body.

While that's fantastic, she also said job prospects were grim, at best. She said that the school tries very hard to create networking opportunities in/around OC/SD and they set them up with alumni and local firms constantly. While the exposure was described as vast and plentiful, the resulting offers or prospects were next to none. One firm flat out told her, "We come to these events because we have a lot of alumni from USD, but the fact is, we cannot justify hiring associates from USD with our limited openings and an increase in competition." She described OCI as, I quote, "one big LOL" where next to nothing happened.

These job prospects were reaffirmed by other students I spoke with.

It was one of the weirdest schools I researched. It was unanimous love for the environment/experience and unanimous fear/anxiety/sense of impending doom regarding job prospects and debt.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”