To take the W, or not to take the W...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
findmethepage

To take the W, or not to take the W...

Postby findmethepage » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:57 pm

I'm currently a first-year undergrad at a T5 university trying to decide whether or not to take a W right now. I'm currently looking to get a C- in Calculus right now, and am seriously considering taking a withdrawal on this. We're on the quarter system here, so my grades last quarter looked like: B+, B+, and C (that was in calc again). I realize how much getting a C- on my second quarter would hurt my GPA (though it would be my final quarter of math), and considering I want to go to a T14, one of equitable reputation to my current Uni, that worries me.This quarter my grades will probably look like B+, B+, A-, and C- if I don't take the W. I'm looking to be a polysci major, so maybe the admissions staff would sympathize with my math grade if I didn't take the W?

So what would look worse, the W (which might make them think I was failing the course, or a second C in Calculus (even though I'm going to be in a major devoid of math)?[list=][/list]
Last edited by findmethepage on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: To take the W, or not to take the W...

Postby 20121109 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:00 pm

findmethepage wrote:I'm currently a first-year undergrad at a T5 university trying to decide whether or not to take a W right now. 'm currently looking to get a C- in Calculus right now, and am seriously considering taking a withdrawal on this. We're on the quarter system here, so my grades last quarter looked like: B+, B+, and C (that was in calc again). I realize how much getting a C- on my second quarter would hurt my GPA (though it would be my final quarter of math), and considering I want to go to a T14, one of equitable reputation to my current Uni, that worries me.This quarter my grades will probably look like B+, B+, A-, and C- if I don't take the W. I'm looking to be a polysci major, so maybe the admissions staff would sympathize with my math grade if I didn't take the W?

So what would look worse, the W (which might make them think I was failing the course, or a second C in Calculus (even though I'm going to be in a major devoid of math)?[list=][/list]

As long as the W is non-puntive, it will not be factored in your LSAC GPA, whereas a C- will be factored in your LSAC GPA.

In other words, find out if the W is considered punitive in your school. If it's not, DEFINITELY take the W.

findmethepage

Postby findmethepage » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Yeah, the W would be completely non-punitive on my GPA here, I have confirmed that. I was just wondering if it would be punitive on my admission chances really. Also if it helps to know my current undergrad is at UChicago.

Postby 20121109 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:03 pm

LSAC doesn't care about non-punitive Ws, and neither do adcomms.

Take the W.

howlery

Postby howlery » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:05 pm

It seems like plenty of people get in where their numbers allow with several Ws. If you have a ton it could be a red flag, but since law schools don't have to report that data to anyone they can and do look past it.

findmethepage

Postby findmethepage » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:16 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Take the W.

I think I'll be doing this - thanks. I only thought that this C- would mean less since I got a C last quarter and am not in a major that involves math.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:17 pm

findmethepage wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Take the W.

I think I'll be doing this - thanks. I only thought that this C- would mean less since I got a C last quarter and am not in a major that involves math.

Not how it works. The only thing that matters is the cumulative uGPA.

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:20 pm

howlery wrote:It seems like plenty of people get in where their numbers allow with several Ws. If you have a ton it could be a red flag, but since law schools don't have to report that data to anyone they can and do look past it.

Shit even if you have several it beats the GPA hit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”