Is it worth it to reapply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bluepenguin

Is it worth it to reapply?

Postby bluepenguin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:11 am

I'm wondering whether I should start studying for an LSAT retake. I applied very late (February, long story) with a 3.4X, 170. I have only one response so far (T2 acceptance). I am trying to determine whether I should take a spot at the bottom of the T14 or BC/ND/Vandy should I get in, or redo the cycle with a June LSAT and an application in the first few days of the next cycle.

I feel like my LSAT was pretty fair, and I don't know how much I could improve it between now and June. I took it in 2009, right after taking a logic course, which I thought helped. I probably studied 20 hours in the 6 months leading up to it, and took 4 PTs, all 168-172. Cold diagnostic was 160 a year before.

I expect to hear retake, but I'm not sure how much that would help me. I have no interest in biglaw whatsoever. I have some interest in DOJ etc or clerking, but my priority is JAG. No matter what I do (gov or PI) I'll be banking on IBR/PSLF.

I know it's tough to give advice since I don't know what my options for this year are, but any thoughts are appreciated.

t14fanboy

Re: Is it worth it to reapply?

Postby t14fanboy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:23 am

You can probably get your pick of MVP with an ED app next cycle with your current stats. However, there's little reason not to retake and a high score can open up NYU for you (if you so desire). Barring t14 acceptances this cycle (which seems unlikely), find some work near your home, retake if you want, and apply early next year.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:26 am

Yes reapply if you don't get a lower T14 this cycle. Their LRAP's are better than lower ranked schools.

Retake is definitely worth it. You barely studied. 20 hours and 4 PT's? Most people put in hundreds of hours taking dozens of PT's (some people take all of them).

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:03 am

You can definitely get a much higher LSAT score if you started with a 160, and then scored a 170 with only 20 hours of private study and a logic course. As an LSAT tutor and someone responsible for other LSAT tutors, I've begun to realize that we're all equally brilliant/useless with every student, yet some people improve 20 points with no studying and some people improve much less with tons of studying. People who improve rapidly are virtuosos - people capable of truly superb scores. You can definitely improve the 170 at least a few points. However, if you pull even one of MVP or even BDNCG, I personally don't think just jumping into it would not be a bad option if you feel you're willing to start law school. Short of a 5 pt improvement, you're likely out at anything in the top 6, and if you have no prospects lined up, don't love your life right now, etc., 30-40k in scholarship money from having a 172 vs having a 170 may not be worth losing a year. However, don't just settle for BU/BC at sticker. This would be a big mistake. I disagree you're into wherever from MVP you ED. You'd still be below 50% likely at all of these, and this cycle I'd take any top 14.

Pretty much, what I'm saying is getting a place like GT this year for the same price as UVA would make starting this year an okay decision, but don't just jump down to a top 25.

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks for the responses so far! My cycle is turning out pretty rough: basic waitlist at GULC, waitlisted at BU (that one surprised me), rejected at UVA.

Apart from the very late application I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. Here's what I've come up with:
-3.35 degree GPA
-Relatively few upper level courses
-Low major GPA (hated it)
-Probably so-so recommendations
-Not a lot of activities, no real work experience
-Unemployed since getting out of the Navy last March

My plan is to retake and hopefully at least get into the 99th %tile, apply in september, and ED a few places, if necessary. I'm going to try to find work but with my degree I'm basically unemployable in this economy. Ideally I'd find work in VA for residency (I need to get out of NY, at any rate), and get involved in a few activities.

Is there anything else I can do? Also, for the LSAT, I'm reading through the LSAT threads and I'm thinking the powerscore bibles are the way to go? I really struggled with the logic games, which I guess are supposed to be the most learnable.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:29 pm

Considering you applied late, it's no surprise that you didn't crack the T14. Even applying early, a 3.4x/170 is going to be on the bubble for T14 schools, without good softs. Sounds like retaking and reapplying is the way to go. Your stats should get you UVa with an ED app. If you can gain residency there, that seems like your best bet.

Without ED, chances at MVP are okay, you're out at BD, should be in at NCG. If you significantly improve your LSAT, lower T14 becomes pretty much secure, and NYU becomes be a possibility at 174+.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:33 pm

bluepenguin wrote:Thanks for the responses so far! My cycle is turning out pretty rough: basic waitlist at GULC, waitlisted at BU (that one surprised me), rejected at UVA.

Apart from the very late application I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. Here's what I've come up with:
-3.35 degree GPA
-Relatively few upper level courses
-Low major GPA (hated it)
-Probably so-so recommendations
-Not a lot of activities, no real work experience
-Unemployed since getting out of the Navy last March

My plan is to retake and hopefully at least get into the 99th %tile, apply in september, and ED a few places, if necessary. I'm going to try to find work but with my degree I'm basically unemployable in this economy. Ideally I'd find work in VA for residency (I need to get out of NY, at any rate), and get involved in a few activities.

Is there anything else I can do? Also, for the LSAT, I'm reading through the LSAT threads and I'm thinking the powerscore bibles are the way to go? I really struggled with the logic games, which I guess are supposed to be the most learnable.

Out of alltue negatives you listed, only thing that mattered is gpa. "softs" on application don't really weigh much in comparison LSAT/ gpa.

Yes get powerscores, I am using them now and they are great. Look up pithy pikes LSAT guide in the LSAT section of this site and if you like it follow it as it helps concentrate on logic games which yes are very learnable with time.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”