Dropped class at UCLA punitive or non-punitive?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
greenw

Dropped class at UCLA punitive or non-punitive?

Postby greenw » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:18 am

Hi,

I've been getting the run around by my university's registrar and the LSAC. Hoping someone here can help. Couldn't find a clear answer searching the forum archives.

I'm considering dropping a class I'm taking currently at my undergrad (UCLA).

The notation will show up on my transcript as such:

SHAKESPEARE ENGL 90 4.0
COURSE DROPPED WEEK 8

This course will not factor into my GPA at UCLA, but the "units attempted" are listed on the transcript. Will LSAC count these units as "zero" or will they not be counted at all in my LSAC GPA calculation?

Thanks very much.

ph14

Re: Dropped class at UCLA punitive or non-punitive?

Postby ph14 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:23 am

greenw wrote:Hi,

I've been getting the run around by my university's registrar and the LSAC. Hoping someone here can help. Couldn't find a clear answer searching the forum archives.

I'm considering dropping a class I'm taking currently at my undergrad (UCLA).

The notation will show up on my transcript as such:

SHAKESPEARE ENGL 90 4.0
COURSE DROPPED WEEK 8

This course will not factor into my GPA at UCLA, but the "units attempted" are listed on the transcript. Will LSAC count these units as "zero" or will they not be counted at all in my LSAC GPA calculation?

Thanks very much.

I'd try again with LSAC until you can get a definitive answer. Don't risk relying on potentially incorrect information.

toliveNdieNLA

Postby toliveNdieNLA » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:11 pm

You will be fine. Dropping a course after Week 4 will have no bearing on your LSAC GPA, I speak from experience. LSAC will not count it as a punitive mark or issue you 0.0 earned credit. Enjoy finals.

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:54 pm

needs to be a withrdrawal for it o be exvluded from lsac gpa

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:53 pm

Last edited by pupshaw on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toliveNdieNLA

Postby toliveNdieNLA » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:48 pm

cerealdan wrote:UCLA alum here. W's had no impact on my GPA or my cycle.

Since when did the folks in Murphy Hall issue W's?

It always been a Drop, Late "Red" Drop or Retroactive Drop. We don't have W's unless this notation is before my time. OP you will be fine.

greenw

Postby greenw » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:33 pm

Thank you so much! This is a relief. What year were you at UCLA, toliveNdieNLA and cerealdan?

This is what concerned me from the LSAC website:
"Any grade notation that signifies failure...is converted to zero on the 4.0 scale and is included in the calculation of the GPA, even if the issuing school considers the grade to be nonpunitive. Failure is defined as credit attempted but not earned."

I'm thinking dropping four units might technically mean the four units were "attempted but not earned." How did the dropped units show up on your undergraduate transcript in the "units attempted" ?

Thanks again.

toliveNdieNLA

Postby toliveNdieNLA » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:40 am

Quick question: This is going to be a Late "Red" Drop right? If so, I believe I mis-spoke because I know our school handles them a little different than the regular drops made before Week 8. I can only speak about the effect that regular drops, made before Week 8, have on the LSAC Cumulative GPA, which is nothing.

dudders

Postby dudders » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:52 am

I had a Week 9 late drop from 2004 that LSAC took as nonpunitive when I applied in 2010.

p.s. UCLA's GPA calculation methods are either identical to LSAC's or so damn close that my GPA didn't even change by a hundredth when I applied. so unless you transferred or took classes elsewhere at some point, your cumulative GPA as reflected by UCLA should be practically identical to whatever LSAC gives you.

toliveNdieNLA

Postby toliveNdieNLA » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:00 am

dudders wrote:I had a Week 9 late drop from 2004 that LSAC took as nonpunitive when I applied in 2010.

p.s. UCLA's GPA calculation methods are either identical to LSAC's or so damn close that my GPA didn't even change by a hundredth when I applied. so unless you transferred or took classes elsewhere at some point, your cumulative GPA as reflected by UCLA should be practically identical to whatever LSAC gives you.

There you have it. Even a Late "Red" Drop won't tank your LSAC GPA. Now, you can rest easy.

greenw

Postby greenw » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:03 am

This would count as a "restricted late drop" ( after week 8 ) - which UCLA students are allowed to have three of during their time here. It is treated like other drops, only the notation would be "Dropped Week 10" instead of say, "Dropped Week 5"

toliveNdieNLA, which week # did you drop a class, and what year did you graduate? It looks like the red drop is for students who have exceeded the three allowed drops after week 8 or are trying to drop retroactively after the final.

Is there anyone who graduated from UCLA recently with a 'late' dropped class and can tell me if their LSAC GPA was affected? Thanks dudders for your info; I am a little concerned that UCLA's transcript policies might have changed since 2004, so that's why I'd really appreciate another opinion.

Thank you!
Last edited by greenw on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:31 am

Is studying and nailing the final not an option?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”