Vandy + ~100k vs GULC + ~120k vs Redo Cycle Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gail

Silver

Re: Vandy + ~100k vs Redo Cycle

Post by Gail » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Gail wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Probably a legitimate concern. Vanderbilt may think that you intend to use any future scholarship offer as a bargaining chip with other law schools.
Kind of throws a monkey wrench into the whole "retake/reapply" deal, doesn't it?
Not for this guy, unless he would really love to end up at Vandy. I sort of doubt that, given the existence of this thread. Sounds like his goal is to have more/better options next time around, and without a sloppy app a 173/3.7 should cruise into the mid T-14.

Now if he had strong ties to the South and really wanted to end up there, Vandy with 100K would be a fine option.
Yes. But more broadly for other applicants it might be worth it to consider the ramifications of retaking if you're accepted to a school that you'd be fine with attending.

Is it worth burning that bridge to retake and possibly get into a better school?

Cornellanister

New

Post by Cornellanister » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Its a tough call. As it stands right now, you are looking at 95k debt and a JD from Vandy by the time you graduate (assuming no other funding besides the scholly you are getting). Its not bad espessially if you have ties, even if they are not in the south. At the same time, given your imressive stats most will agree its an underachievement.

On the other hand, you could roll the dice again and reapply. There is no garantee that your cycle will play out any better next time around if you make some minor corrections in your application. The truth is that schools don't look too kindly on reapplicants (I speak from experience) and your application will have to be significatly better in order to have a decent shot at a better cycle. Things you can do to improve your application would be to hold a job, get better LORs, clean up your essays and your resume and finally.... retake the LSAT. I think a 177+ LSAT will definatly give you a good shot at a T6 and some real good schollys from the rest of the T14. You have to be honest with yourself and assess your chances of getting such a high score.

If you chose to reapply I would advice you to blanket the entire T14 if you haven't done so the first time around. Schools where you apply for the first time are likely to be kinder. Also, remember if you reapply you should count on losing that 100k offer from Vandy.

Like I said, a tough call.

Oh and also, congrats on the Vandy offer.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Retake or don't go

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:09 am

I don't know if you applied too late this year, but with your numbers you should definitely be in at T6. So unless you are some major criminal or other big red flag, you should definitely re-apply, you can do better than Vandy and Georgetown.

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:49 pm

U should reapply unless vandy makes the final 4.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

#ifdef

New

Re: Vandy + ~100k vs GULC + 90K vs Redo Cycle

Post by #ifdef » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Just got what essentially would amount to 30k/yr from GULC. Now I have to revaluate my plans. I'm interested in exploring my options. Career goals: Ideal job would be something to do with nonprofit + IP (e.g. Center for Democracy and Technology), but I will be more than happy with any nonprofit or biglaw job.

ETA: Got a full time job offer within my major, so I won't have any trouble waiting a year, and I'll have FT WE if I reapply next cycle.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 pm

rad lulz wrote:
#ifdef wrote:Just got what essentially would amount to 30k/yr from GULC. Now I have to revaluate my plans. I'm interested in exploring my options. Career goals: Ideal job would be something to do with nonprofit + IP (e.g. Center for Democracy and Technology), but I will be more than happy with any nonprofit or biglaw job.

ETA: Got a full time job offer within my major, so I won't have any trouble waiting a year, and I'll have FT WE if I reapply next cycle.
Oh def work a year bro
and enjoy nw $$

#ifdef

New

Re: Vandy + ~100k vs + GULC vs ~120k vs Redo Cycle

Post by #ifdef » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:09 am

Georgetown just upped their offer to ~40k/yr, which amounts to ~120k over the course of three years. I will have five months of full time work experience (post-UG) before starting law school since I accepted the full time job offer within my major.

Is it even worth it to stay on Penn's, Michigan's, NYU's waitlist anymore? I guess at this point I highly doubt I could do better than 120k at a T13 (Sorry Cornell) if I reapplied next year.
Last edited by #ifdef on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:15 am

Dany wrote:
#ifdef wrote:I'm also considering EDing to Penn next year.
I wouldn't do this. I think $100k at Vandy is way smarter than sticker at Penn.
why it is better ?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Vandy + ~100k vs + GULC vs ~120k vs Redo Cycle

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:17 am

#ifdef wrote:Georgetown just upped their offer to 40k/yr, which amounts to 120k over the course of three years. I will have five months of full time work experience (post-UG) before starting law school since I accepted the full time job offer within my major.

Is it even worth it to stay on Penn's, Michigan's, NYU's waitlist anymore? I guess at this point I highly doubt I could do better than 120k at a T13 (Sorry Cornell) if I reapplied next year.
You have nothing to lose by staying on the waitlist. Will you get money off the waitlist? Almost assuredly no, but it doesn't cost you anything just to sit on it and if they offer you admission say "hey I'm getting 120k at GULC, can you compete with that?"

I'm not sure whether I would take that offer or reapply. It really depends on how likely you are to get similar money from other T14's. I haven't looked at LSN in a long time so I can't really speak to that.

Platinum

Re: Vandy + ~100k vs GULC + ~120k vs Redo Cycle

Post by 071816 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:21 am

If I were you I would plan on attending Gtown and stay on those other waitlists just for the fuck of it.

#ifdef

New

Post by #ifdef » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:22 am

^
All right, thanks to both of you. They call the form "Intent to Enroll", but I think it may be binding since it says: "I am pleased to accept Georgetown Law’s scholarship award and will be enrolling." I may have to call and ask about this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:24 am

#ifdef wrote:^
All right, thanks to both of you. They call the form "Intent to Enroll", but I think it may be binding since it says: "I am pleased to accept Georgetown Law’s scholarship award and will be enrolling." I may have to call and ask about this.
Some scholarships require you to withdraw from other schools (I know Penn does this or at least used to). I would definitely call and ask.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:21 pm

If you get money at NYU, consider taking that. Otherwise, enjoy almost-free GULC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”