I have to take a summer class before fall semester begins

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jenny08

I have to take a summer class before fall semester begins

Postby Jenny08 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:39 am

Hi I just found out that one of my credits from an outside university may not transfer to my main university, so I may have to take one more summer class before schools starts at the law school that I've been admitted too. I'm worried though. Although the summer class will be over in early June, and my classes for law school don't start until late August... My diploma date from my undergrad will not be until August 31st, hence after I have started school. Will I not be able to attend law school?

JoeMo

Re: I have to take a summer class before fall semester begins

Postby JoeMo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:43 am

Jenny08 wrote:Hi I just found out that one of my credits from an outside university may not transfer to my main university, so I may have to take one more summer class before schools starts at the law school that I've been admitted too. I'm worried though. Although the summer class will be over in early June, and my classes for law school don't start until late August... My diploma date from my undergrad will not be until August 31st, hence after I have started school. Will I not be able to attend law school?

I'm pretty sure it depends on the school's policy. Don't waste any time, contact them now and find out.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:33 pm

As long as you have the degree before LS starts, it shouldn't matter. Not like you're giving them a diploma anyway, just the official transcript to demonstrate that you graduated.

sodapop

Postby sodapop » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:48 pm

I ran into a similar problem when I started LS. My transcript would not be available (showing graduation) until after I started school b/c I was taking summer classes.

The law school gave me a deadline as to when I had to turn in the transcript. You really should contact the school you plan on attending to see how they want you to handle this. It is probably not going to be a big deal.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Jenny08 wrote:Hi I just found out that one of my credits from an outside university may not transfer to my main university, so I may have to take one more summer class before schools starts at the law school that I've been admitted too. I'm worried though. Although the summer class will be over in early June, and my classes for law school don't start until late August... My diploma date from my undergrad will not be until August 31st, hence after I have started school. Will I not be able to attend law school?

Talk to your law school ASAP. Also, talk to your undergrad and explain the situation and see if there is any way you can get your transcript released early. Some schools can accommodate your deadline.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:11 pm

ph14 wrote:

Talk to your law school ASAP. Also, talk to your undergrad and explain the situation and see if there is any way you can get your transcript released early. Some schools can accommodate your deadline.

And, anecdotally, most schools are willing to work with you on something like this. Your graduating school wants you to have fond memories of them and succeed (so you can donate cash back). The law school wants you matriculating there (because you pay tuition, and then become a graduate who can donate money). Call up, be polite, and I wouldn't expect a problem.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:17 pm

I had a similar situation - it was fine. I called and talked to them though as soon as I was sure that was going to be how it worked. No one cared.

Txrb182sc

Postby Txrb182sc » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Taking classes the summer before LS was how I plan to enter law school this fall. I mentioned it in my application so I assume I don't need to contact them about this until orientation or something?

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Txrb182sc wrote:Taking classes the summer before LS was how I plan to enter law school this fall. I mentioned it in my application so I assume I don't need to contact them about this until orientation or something?

I called before I put in my second deposit to make sure it wasn't going to be a problem. I would recommend that. Why not make a 5 minute phone call to save yourself any possible problem?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”