Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer." Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rglifberg

Bronze

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Post by rglifberg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:22 pm

Samara wrote:
rglifberg wrote:
Samara wrote:
rglifberg wrote:It would probably be a good idea to leave that out. Also, take everything you read on here with a grain of salt. People on here tend to think they're all knowing and experts on everything relevant to the legal field. There probably are cheaper ways of getting into the FBI like the military, but that isn't easy to get into either.

This is from the FBI website:

9. Do certain degrees provide a more desirable educational background for the Special Agent position?
The FBI does not recommend particular courses or schools. Any degrees that develop research and analytical skills are desirable educational backgrounds. For example, a Law degree is a desirable asset because Special Agents are charged with investigating violations of federal laws of the United States; an Accounting degree is also desirable because Special Agents trace financial transactions and review/analyze complex accounting records in criminal investigations; an Engineering degree is desirable because Special Agents often have to critically analyze large amounts of information in order to plan the next steps in an investigation; etc.
What that says to me is don't go to law school if you want to work for the FBI unless you're on a full ride. And even then, it's probably not worth the opportunity cost.
Wow you're really cool! You must be an FBI expert??????
They give three examples of getting into the FBI. Two of them involve a bachelor's degree that can be achieved cheaply at an in-state school and has strong job prospects in case the FBI doesn't work out. One of them is an expensive graduate degree that has weak job prospects unless you're going to a top school and even worse prospects if you don't want to work in that field. One of these things is not like the other...
Yeah, and how does that make going with a full scholarship not worth it? Also, many good schools, such as UF, can be attended relatively cheaply with instate tuition. I love how people come here for advice, but instead of getting any they are bashed by people who pretend to care, when in reality they are just trying to boost their T-14 or bust ego

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Anyone who reads it is going to think you didn't do your homework or are just plain dumb to be paying so much for a JD in order to join a group that doesn't require JDs.

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:27 pm

MrAnon wrote:Anyone who reads it is going to think you didn't do your homework or are just plain dumb to be paying so much for a JD in order to join a group that doesn't require JDs.

Thats some really constructive criticism! Atta boy! Continue the douchbaggery!!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:30 pm

rglifberg wrote:Yeah, and how does that make going with a full scholarship not worth it? Also, many good schools, such as UF, can be attended relatively cheaply with instate tuition. I love how people come here for advice, but instead of getting any they are bashed by people who pretend to care, when in reality they are just trying to boost their T-14 or bust ego
lol At the end of the day, I don't care what the OP does. But TLS helped me quite a lot, so I'm trying to return the favor. To me, it makes more sense to get an accounting or engineering degree that could be completed in two years instead of three, likely at a lower cost, and likely with better job prospects. Then, you're starting a year earlier, hence the opportunity cost.

But yeah, if you can get a big scholly to a decent school, it's not worst thing. It just doesn't seem like the best thing to me. But you know what, most people are going to do whatever they decided they want to do, regardless of evidence to the contrary.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:31 pm

rglifberg wrote:The FBI does not recommend particular courses or schools. Any degrees that develop research and analytical skills are desirable educational backgrounds. For example, a Law degree is a desirable asset because Special Agents are charged with investigating Yeah, and how does that make going with a full scholarship not worth it? Also, many good schools, such as UF, can be attended relatively cheaply with instate tuition. I love how people come here for advice, but instead of getting any they are bashed by people who pretend to care, when in reality they are just trying to boost their T-14 or bust ego
UF at sticker is ok for some residents, but it is way too risky if there is a small chance you get the job you want. Also the degree would be practically worthless outside Florida. Not to mention the Florida market is shit right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:06 pm

The FBI also requires 3 years work experience, unless you have a law degree or you are a CPA. So, yeah, a law degree will definitely help get your foot in the door. Once again, it might not be the cheapest route, but it is a route you can take nonetheless. I say go for it as long as your not overwhelmed by debt and you graduate from a school where the job prospects are still good if it doesn't work out. I am hoping to do the same thing as you, but ideally I want to get into one of the JAG programs and then try to get into the FBI. Good luck!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Going to law school sucks even if u want to be a lawyer. Doing so if u don't want to be a lawyer would be idiocy. Join the military or the local police force, or get an accounting degree to go FBI.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:25 pm

I interviewed with a SSA in the FBI and specifically asked him what the most common routes were. He says JD, CPA, language (though basically only cared about Middle Eastern/Southeast Asia), or by being a computer supergenius. I was surprised, so I asked him what about the military/police/people that generally have a background in investigating crimes to begin with. He said very few people in the FBI had that type of background.

Everyone at the office I interviewed with had an advanced degree of some sort (JD, Master's, one guy even had an MD).

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:29 pm

"Don't you need to, like, know, like, 7 languages to get in to the FBI?" - girl in my undergrad

OP - have you thought about accounting? Don't mean to dissuade you, just wondering.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:30 pm

rglifberg wrote:The FBI also requires 3 years work experience, unless you have a law degree or you are a CPA. So, yeah, a law degree will definitely help get your foot in the door. Once again, it might not be the cheapest route, but it is a route you can take nonetheless. I say go for it as long as your not overwhelmed by debt and you graduate from a school where the job prospects are still good if it doesn't work out. I am hoping to do the same thing as you, but ideally I want to get into one of the JAG programs and then try to get into the FBI. Good luck!

Yupp

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Did they relax that? I remember seeing them wanting experience clerking or litigating with a JD a few years ago. Now it's just JD = minimum requirements? Huh.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:36 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:I interviewed with a SSA in the FBI and specifically asked him what the most common routes were. He says JD, CPA, language (though basically only cared about Middle Eastern/Southeast Asia), or by being a computer supergenius. I was surprised, so I asked him what about the military/police/people that generally have a background in investigating crimes to begin with. He said very few people in the FBI had that type of background.

Everyone at the office I interviewed with had an advanced degree of some sort (JD, Master's, one guy even had an MD).
The investigator background can be very useful getting into the FBI but in many cases by the time you get to that point you are already doing what you want to do and leaving for the FBI may not pay any better and is not always a great career move so there may be a lot of folks that don't. A military background helps but generally only if you are doing something in the military they need. (Like say a linguist with a Farsi specialty.)

There are certainly cheaper ways to do it but then, if the OP will not go into huge dept going to LS it may well be his/her best choice.

As far as being a CPA, I think I would have to shoot myself before I became an accountant....

JC

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:40 pm

splitbrain wrote:Did they relax that? I remember seeing them wanting experience clerking or litigating with a JD a few years ago. Now it's just JD = minimum requirements? Huh.
Yepp. One of my professors' friends is a FBI special agent and she came and spoke to our class. I asked her a bunch of questions and a JD would waive the 3 years work experience requirement.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:47 pm

rglifberg wrote:
splitbrain wrote:Did they relax that? I remember seeing them wanting experience clerking or litigating with a JD a few years ago. Now it's just JD = minimum requirements? Huh.
Yepp. One of my professors' friends is a FBI special agent and she came and spoke to our class. I asked her a bunch of questions and a JD would waive the 3 years work experience requirement.
Huh. I know they say accredited schools, but I wonder if the people at TTTTs have a legitimate shot? An acquaintance is at a TTTT (lol) and aiming for FBI. Curious if that's even feasible.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:50 pm

splitbrain wrote:
rglifberg wrote:
Huh. I know they say accredited schools, but I wonder if the people at TTTTs have a legitimate shot? An acquaintance is at a TTTT (lol) and aiming for FBI. Curious if that's even feasible.
bolded makes you sound like an insufferable douche.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:54 pm

TommyK wrote:
splitbrain wrote:
rglifberg wrote:
bolded makes you sound like an insufferable douche.
ETA: bolded makes you sound like a fucking retard.
Last edited by splitbrain on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:55 pm

JCFindley wrote:Actually the FBI has very specific needs that they are looking for at any given time.

At one time that was either a JD or being a CPA. They do actually still like those but the door is open to a LOT of other paths as well now. Instead of spending the money on a JD going in the military in one of the investigative services will help just as much and they will pay you. (I mean the NCIS, OSI or CID and NOT being an MP) Civilian LE can also help as much as a JD. Being fluent in foreign languages can help as much as a JD if that language is Arabic or Farsi or something they need. (Also a cheaper route than a JD.)

I went a good ways through their hiring cycle way back when and decided I did NOT want to do that but there are many other routes that are less expensive.......

All that said, I would just leave that off the PS.

JC
I was resisting saying anything but this is about your third post that I see. STOP TROLLING FOR THE MILITARY!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:01 pm

JoeMo wrote:
JCFindley wrote:Actually the FBI has very specific needs that they are looking for at any given time.

At one time that was either a JD or being a CPA. They do actually still like those but the door is open to a LOT of other paths as well now. Instead of spending the money on a JD going in the military in one of the investigative services will help just as much and they will pay you. (I mean the NCIS, OSI or CID and NOT being an MP) Civilian LE can also help as much as a JD. Being fluent in foreign languages can help as much as a JD if that language is Arabic or Farsi or something they need. (Also a cheaper route than a JD.)

I went a good ways through their hiring cycle way back when and decided I did NOT want to do that but there are many other routes that are less expensive.......

All that said, I would just leave that off the PS.

JC

I was resisting saying anything but this is about your third post that I see. STOP TROLLING FOR THE MILITARY!

Not trolling, just giving an viable option that is not often heard on here. :o) It is indeed a way to pay for LS that does not land you in dept.

Enjoy the freedom of speech they die to protect for you and the freedom of speech I have to present that option.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:05 pm

splitbrain wrote: But thanks.
Welcome. I'll let you know when you slip up and sound like a huge d-bag again.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:06 pm

TommyK wrote:
splitbrain wrote: But thanks.
Welcome. I'll let you know when you slip up and sound like a huge d-bag again.
haha, I actually do appreciate that. I am still gonna judge though :P

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:27 pm

JCFindley wrote: Not trolling, just giving an viable option that is not often heard on here. :o) It is indeed a way to pay for LS that does not land you in dept.

Enjoy the freedom of speech they die to protect for you and the freedom of speech I have to present that option.
Nah, you're trolling. Going into every thread that has anything to do with anything and saying "you should join the military" is trolling.

I have a deep respect for our servicemen/women, I just think your approach is off-putting. If you're recruiting for the military then your persistence rather than working could be doing the complete opposite and sending people away.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:07 pm

JoeMo wrote:
JCFindley wrote: Not trolling, just giving an viable option that is not often heard on here. :o) It is indeed a way to pay for LS that does not land you in dept.

Nah, you're trolling. Going into every thread that has anything to do with anything and saying "you should join the military" is trolling.

I have a deep respect for our servicemen/women, I just think your approach is off-putting. If you're recruiting for the military then your persistence rather than working could be doing the complete opposite and sending people away.
Is he trolling? I don't think so, for two reasons: (a) he's being serious; and (b) it's good advice.

The large majority of people still in college would be better off joining the military than paying to attend a TT, TTT, or TTTT law school. The military makes you more employable, not less, pays you money instead of leaving you $200k in debt, gives you benefits for life, and you can use the G.I. Bill to attend law school for free in a few years, when the economy will (hopefully) be a little better. That said, it seems unlikely he's going to persuade anyone here.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:13 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote: Is he trolling? I don't think so, for two reasons: (a) he's being serious; and (b) it's good advice.

The large majority of people still in college would be better off joining the military than paying to attend a TT, TTT, or TTTT law school. The military makes you more employable, not less, pays you money instead of leaving you $200k in debt, gives you benefits for life, and you can use the G.I. Bill to attend law school for free in a few years, when the economy will (hopefully) be a little better. That said, it seems unlikely he's going to persuade anyone here.
Perhaps trolling isn't the right word. He is being a bit too persistent though. I agree that it's a great option for a lot of people and that a lot of good can be accomplished through the GI bill. I guess I was just sick of seeing virtually the same post in several different threads recruiting people to go into the military.

carry on

/rant

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:59 pm

JoeMo wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote: Is he trolling? I don't think so, for two reasons: (a) he's being serious; and (b) it's good advice.

Perhaps trolling isn't the right word. He is being a bit too persistent though. I agree that it's a great option for a lot of people and that a lot of good can be accomplished through the GI bill. I guess I was just sick of seeing virtually the same post in several different threads recruiting people to go into the military.

carry on

/rant
Naw, not quite the same advice. One had a kid who is already 100K in dept and looking at paying sticker for a regional law school. The military IS a viable option.

For the kid that works for a defense contractor I merely recommend he use the free ride his parents were providing and not that he should join the military.

As far as getting on with the FBI, it is a very real option as well. Four years in the military and a JD from almost any school will be MUCH more advantageous than explaining how he took all these LSAT prep courses and he was able to add 15 points to his LSAT and got more $$$ so he could attend Michigan.

But then, I wouldn't expect someone who's entire self worth is judged strictly on GPA and their ability to do well on a standardized test to understand any of that or pay any more than lip service to the "deep respect" he has for our servicemen/women.

But hey, its the net and some people think there is no reason to value others so long as you did well on the LSAT and have a good UG GPA. To some, it is simply about tooting your own horn while offering no genuine advice except to sit out a year and crush the LSAT. That may well be good advice but there are more ways to reach the same destination

Thankfully, the one's with nothing productive to add seem to be in the minority and most here genuinely want to help.

JC

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:09 pm

mattviphky wrote:Military-->FBI
This. Or Police officer --> Accounting Degree --> FBI

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”