Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tyrantlytamale
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:18 am

Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby tyrantlytamale » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:37 am

.
Last edited by tyrantlytamale on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby Br3v » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:39 am

I don't even....

Think of a new topic.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby FlanAl » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:40 am

flame

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby 20121109 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:47 am

From someone who dated a guy that got recruited by the FBI, you definitely don't need a JD.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:49 am

tyrantlytamale wrote:As an example, a JD is a route into the FBI. It opens a lot of other doors, too.


While it's possible to parlay a JD into the FBI, it isn't easy and it's probably not even the path of least resistance into the FBI. While a JD *can* open non-lawyer doors, it doesn't open them very wide so it's unlikely that you'd be able to use a JD to get through those doors.

If you don't want to be a lawyer, don't get a JD.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby dproduct » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:50 am

tyrantlytamale wrote:I want to complete a JD, but I do not actually want to become an attorney afterward. Or a clerk. Or whatever. I don't want to practice law. I want to work in an investigative field. As an example, a JD is a route into the FBI. It opens a lot of other doors, too.

My question then, is how do I talk about this in a personal statement? Don't schools want you to really want to be a lawyer?


Image

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby 20121109 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:52 am

^^^ Weirdest choice of gif eva?

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby Br3v » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:55 am

If you don't want to be a lawyer, don't get a JD.


TITCR

tyrantlytamale
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:18 am

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby tyrantlytamale » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:20 am

.
Last edited by tyrantlytamale on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby Br3v » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:22 am

tyrantlytamale wrote:
If you don't want to be a lawyer, don't get a JD.

I get it. And I'm not planning on going to Harvard or Yale. But that's not my question: should I leave the "don't want to be a lawyer" bit out of the personal statement?


Yes

Excellent117
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby Excellent117 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:32 am

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:33 am

I heard the FBI likes accounting and engineering majors.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:51 am

1. Apply for JD
2. Lock self in room for 3 years
3. Light $150k on fire
4. Complete Application for the FBI
5. ????
6. Profit!

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:57 am

tyrantlytamale wrote:And I'm not planning on going to Harvard or Yale.


I don't see how this is relevant. You say this like not going to one of these schools means you don't have to be a lawyer after you graduate. If there was ever an argument for a law student who didn't really need to be a lawyer after school it would be from one of these two schools. And even then that wouldn't be the best plan.

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby jkpolk » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:17 am

:idea:
Last edited by jkpolk on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby JCFindley » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:29 am

Actually the FBI has very specific needs that they are looking for at any given time.

At one time that was either a JD or being a CPA. They do actually still like those but the door is open to a LOT of other paths as well now. Instead of spending the money on a JD going in the military in one of the investigative services will help just as much and they will pay you. (I mean the NCIS, OSI or CID and NOT being an MP) Civilian LE can also help as much as a JD. Being fluent in foreign languages can help as much as a JD if that language is Arabic or Farsi or something they need. (Also a cheaper route than a JD.)

I went a good ways through their hiring cycle way back when and decided I did NOT want to do that but there are many other routes that are less expensive.......

All that said, I would just leave that off the PS.

JC

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:49 am

I know someone who went to law school to work for the FBI. If you visit the right Washington DC GAP store, you might meet her. She's there about 40 hours a week.

Please don't get a JD. If you must, don't apply with this personal statement.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby TommyK » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:52 am

sure, above advice might be correct... but law schools won't care if you're above their medians. They just want to NOMNOMNOM your money.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:57 am

If you do write your law school personal statement based on the theme that you don't want to become a lawyer, then apply to reach schools emphasizing that you don't want to be accepted. Who knows--maybe reverse psychology will work with admissions.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby mattviphky » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Military-->FBI

rglifberg
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby rglifberg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:04 pm

It would probably be a good idea to leave that out. Also, take everything you read on here with a grain of salt. People on here tend to think they're all knowing and experts on everything relevant to the legal field. There probably are cheaper ways of getting into the FBI like the military, but that isn't easy to get into either.

This is from the FBI website:

9. Do certain degrees provide a more desirable educational background for the Special Agent position?
The FBI does not recommend particular courses or schools. Any degrees that develop research and analytical skills are desirable educational backgrounds. For example, a Law degree is a desirable asset because Special Agents are charged with investigating violations of federal laws of the United States; an Accounting degree is also desirable because Special Agents trace financial transactions and review/analyze complex accounting records in criminal investigations; an Engineering degree is desirable because Special Agents often have to critically analyze large amounts of information in order to plan the next steps in an investigation; etc.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby Samara » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:08 pm

rglifberg wrote:It would probably be a good idea to leave that out. Also, take everything you read on here with a grain of salt. People on here tend to think they're all knowing and experts on everything relevant to the legal field. There probably are cheaper ways of getting into the FBI like the military, but that isn't easy to get into either.

This is from the FBI website:

9. Do certain degrees provide a more desirable educational background for the Special Agent position?
The FBI does not recommend particular courses or schools. Any degrees that develop research and analytical skills are desirable educational backgrounds. For example, a Law degree is a desirable asset because Special Agents are charged with investigating violations of federal laws of the United States; an Accounting degree is also desirable because Special Agents trace financial transactions and review/analyze complex accounting records in criminal investigations; an Engineering degree is desirable because Special Agents often have to critically analyze large amounts of information in order to plan the next steps in an investigation; etc.

What that says to me is don't go to law school if you want to work for the FBI unless you're on a full ride. And even then, it's probably not worth the opportunity cost.

rglifberg
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby rglifberg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:12 pm

Samara wrote:
rglifberg wrote:It would probably be a good idea to leave that out. Also, take everything you read on here with a grain of salt. People on here tend to think they're all knowing and experts on everything relevant to the legal field. There probably are cheaper ways of getting into the FBI like the military, but that isn't easy to get into either.

This is from the FBI website:

9. Do certain degrees provide a more desirable educational background for the Special Agent position?
The FBI does not recommend particular courses or schools. Any degrees that develop research and analytical skills are desirable educational backgrounds. For example, a Law degree is a desirable asset because Special Agents are charged with investigating violations of federal laws of the United States; an Accounting degree is also desirable because Special Agents trace financial transactions and review/analyze complex accounting records in criminal investigations; an Engineering degree is desirable because Special Agents often have to critically analyze large amounts of information in order to plan the next steps in an investigation; etc.

What that says to me is don't go to law school if you want to work for the FBI unless you're on a full ride. And even then, it's probably not worth the opportunity cost.


Wow you're really cool! You must be an FBI expert??????

ringo
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby ringo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:12 pm

polkij333 wrote:I know a JD who works for the FBI. She went to Yale.


http://www.law.yale.edu/faculty/ARangappa.htm

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Personal Statement: "Don't want to be a lawyer."

Postby Samara » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:15 pm

rglifberg wrote:
Samara wrote:
rglifberg wrote:It would probably be a good idea to leave that out. Also, take everything you read on here with a grain of salt. People on here tend to think they're all knowing and experts on everything relevant to the legal field. There probably are cheaper ways of getting into the FBI like the military, but that isn't easy to get into either.

This is from the FBI website:

9. Do certain degrees provide a more desirable educational background for the Special Agent position?
The FBI does not recommend particular courses or schools. Any degrees that develop research and analytical skills are desirable educational backgrounds. For example, a Law degree is a desirable asset because Special Agents are charged with investigating violations of federal laws of the United States; an Accounting degree is also desirable because Special Agents trace financial transactions and review/analyze complex accounting records in criminal investigations; an Engineering degree is desirable because Special Agents often have to critically analyze large amounts of information in order to plan the next steps in an investigation; etc.

What that says to me is don't go to law school if you want to work for the FBI unless you're on a full ride. And even then, it's probably not worth the opportunity cost.


Wow you're really cool! You must be an FBI expert??????

They give three examples of getting into the FBI. Two of them involve a bachelor's degree that can be achieved cheaply at an in-state school and has strong job prospects in case the FBI doesn't work out. One of them is an expensive graduate degree that has weak job prospects unless you're going to a top school and even worse prospects if you don't want to work in that field. One of these things is not like the other...




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests