Columbia ED

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
southeastlaw

Columbia ED

Postby southeastlaw » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:54 pm

How big of an advantage is it to apply Columbia? They have statistics for their undergrad that shows admission percentages at about 20% for ED applicants, and about half that for regular decision. Do you think the advantage for law school is similar?

Also, what if you apply to Columbia ED, get in to Y,H, or S, and want to go there? Aka, what can Columbia really do to you if you renege on your ED contract for another school? Let's say that money is not a part of this hypothetical equation. Thanks!

southeastlaw

Re: Columbia ED

Postby southeastlaw » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:56 pm

** first sentence, I meant how big of an advantage is it to apply to Columbia ED. I bet that's already clear given the subject line and the rest of the message, but just in case.

booboo

Postby booboo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:00 pm

I can see the disaster that this thread is going to become.

One: look at Law School Numbers (a website). I don't think Columbia really accepts students who weren't already in some way competitive for regular admission.

Two: breaking a contract you make with a college withdraws your ability to attend law school that year. Basically, you can't renege. If you do, and schools find out, they can withdraw your admission. Reneging is foolish in so many ways.

PigBodine

Postby PigBodine » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:00 pm

Different schools have different philosophies as to how much of a boost they give for EDing, which is pretty evident if you crunch the data on LSN. If you just want the executive summary, Michigan, Penn, Virginia, and Georgetown give fairly large boosts. NYU and Columbia say they don't give anything, and, from the data, it looks like that's precisely the case. In fact, the data indicate that Columbia might even be a little pickier with ED applicants, although I suspect that's probably just variance coming with the really small sample size.

PigBodine

Postby PigBodine » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Didn't see part 2. Don't do that. Seriously.

justinp

Postby justinp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Not clear what ED does once you get to T6 other than reducing your financial aid package.

PigBodine

Postby PigBodine » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:04 pm

justinp wrote:Not clear what ED does once you get to T6 other than reducing your financial aid package.

Chicago gives you a small boost, sometimes. Or, rather, it did, before the GPA median went up half a letter. Now, who knows.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Last edited by KevinP on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southeastlaw

Postby southeastlaw » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks for the replies.

So what's the point of even applying Columbia ED if there's seemingly no admissions advantage? The admissions website says that the application is "simplified" but from what I can tell that's not really the case... if you really want to go to Columbia, and there's no admissions advantage in applying ED, why wouldn't people just apply regular decision and have more options?

On the ED contract deal: so if you break your ED contract, that means you can't attend ANY law school that year or just Columbia? So other schools know if you apply ED Columbia?

southeastlaw

Postby southeastlaw » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:13 pm

Another hypo for you all:

Let's say you apply ED to Columbia. BEFORE hearing from CLS, you get a KB 1 at Harvard. Since -- from what I've heard -- KB1 is a pretty good sign that you'll get in if you don't screw up the interview, you WITHDRAW your CLS ED application before hearing from them. Thoughts on that? I know we could debate the merits of withdrawing CLS ED after KB1... but my main question really is if withdrawing CLS ED at that point would be frowned upon. Thanks.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Last edited by KevinP on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:21 pm

Look, if you believe you have a shot at HYS, then don't ED to Columbia, or any other lower tier school for that matter. If you have the numbers to be viable at HYS, then you should have an excellent shot at CCN and the potential to shop around for scholarship $$$.

ED to Columbia if you really, really want to go to Columbia and/or you are a borderline candidate.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:26 pm

southeastlaw wrote:Another hypo for you all:

Let's say you apply ED to Columbia. BEFORE hearing from CLS, you get a KB 1 at Harvard. Since -- from what I've heard -- KB1 is a pretty good sign that you'll get in if you don't screw up the interview, you WITHDRAW your CLS ED application before hearing from them. Thoughts on that? I know we could debate the merits of withdrawing CLS ED after KB1... but my main question really is if withdrawing CLS ED at that point would be frowned upon. Thanks.

You won't necessarily be allowed to withdraw your ED application before hearing back. You've already signed the contract. CLS would have to agree to let you out of it.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:10 am

There is some profile on LSN of a guy who ED'ed to Columbia then reneged. He was denied at every T-14 he applied to. Deans talk to each other. Do not be like that guy.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Tadatsune wrote:Look, if you believe you have a shot at HYS, then don't ED to Columbia, or any other lower tier school for that matter. If you have the numbers to be viable at HYS, then you should have an excellent shot at CCN and the potential to shop around for scholarship $$$.

+1

And don't even think about reneging on an ED contract. That is a terrible idea.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:22 pm

KevinP wrote:As someone who EDed to Columbia, I can tell you that it was my biggest mistake all cycle. Columbia ED doesn't give you a noticeable boost. If they don't take you ED, they don't look at your application until 99% of the class is filled unlike other schools. Other schools will just throw your application in to the regular admissions pool.

Breaking an ED contract is enough to get you disqualified from ever practicing law. Don't do it.

Same boat. Wasn't aware of this forum when I ED'd, and thought it would increase my chances. Didn't, and now I won't hear until April. Silly on my part.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:37 pm

I did a quick search of LSN from candidates around my stats. Here's what I found in terms of ED vs. RD

Accepted:
174, 3.62 ED
173, 3.69 ED
173, 3.63 ED
172, 3.68 RD

Waitlisted:
174, 3.61 RD
174, 3.69 RD
173, 3.62 RD
172, 3.67 ED

Obviously a very small sample size, but it seems that applying ED would give candidates a bit of a boost. Just a very unscientific observation though (I'm debating whether to apply ED to Columbia or Chicago).

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:44 pm

PigBodine wrote:Different schools have different philosophies as to how much of a boost they give for EDing, which is pretty evident if you crunch the data on LSN. If you just want the executive summary, Michigan, Penn, Virginia, and Georgetown give fairly large boosts. NYU and Columbia say they don't give anything, and, from the data, it looks like that's precisely the case. In fact, the data indicate that Columbia might even be a little pickier with ED applicants, although I suspect that's probably just variance coming with the really small sample size.

No, NYU ED does give you an edge. I did my research very extensively on this and I'm fairly certain I would have been in ED at NYU (historic 80% chance or so), but so far I'm probably a WL.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”